OT: The Pittsburgher Thread - Good JuJu comes at a high price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Worried with all the positive cases there won’t be football this year.

time to get into soccer. I’m taking the easy way out and rooting for the club that the big man (MM) conveniently roots for: LFC, Liverpool. Allez, allez, allez! Mo Salah, ahh! You’ll NEVER walk alone.

am I doing it right?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think Bob Prince was at least tipsy for most of his broadcasts. And then there was Baz Bastien. And Senor Sack. Ah, too depressing to start going down that path. . . .

It was kind of humorous explaining who Hillgrove was to my wife.

I saw the headline and said that is a shame and she had no clue who he is.

Because she is a Leafs fan I had to talk Canadian to her and explained that it would be like Bob Cole being loaded and ramming his car into a Shoppers.

Her eyes got really big and the point was driven home.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
So the Steelers sign a guard who started in and won 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls, only to want to move Feiler to LG after he had a good season at RT and start Okorafor at RT despite him only starting one game last season? That reeks of over-complicating and maybe a bit of nepotism towards Okorafor. It even makes less sense considering training camp this year is going to be all screwy with the pandemic.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
So the Steelers sign a guard who started in and won 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls, only to want to move Feiler to LG after he had a good season at RT and start Okorafor at RT despite him only starting one game last season? That reeks of over-complicating and maybe a bit of nepotism towards Okorafor. It even makes less sense considering training camp this year is going to be all screwy with the pandemic.

Feiler is potentially an All-Pro G. He has been magnificent at G in limited opportunities. He did a good job at RT but he struggled with a couple of opponents, notably Chandler Jones. Furthermore, Banner and maybe even Chuks could play RT at a higher level than Wisniewski could play LG.

Wis was signed to be the backup IOL––Since Finney left, no one else has experience playing C.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016

time to get into soccer. I’m taking the easy way out and rooting for the club that the big man (MM) conveniently roots for: LFC, Liverpool. Allez, allez, allez! Mo Salah, ahh! You’ll NEVER walk alone.

am I doing it right?
Update: they won “the league” and dozens of folks congratulated MM on Twitter (presumably because of the big role he played). Woo!

Reactions: SouthGeorge

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017

am I doing it right?
I wish Pittsburgh had an MLS team. Can we trade the pirates for an MLS team? Would be nice to follow EPL but hard to follow a sport on a different continent, especially without having a team to root for. My dad roots for Chelsea so that could be a start.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Update: they won “the league” and dozens of folks congratulated MM on Twitter (presumably because of the big role he played). Woo!

They won the EPL. It's like the equivalent of winning your division in NFL. Champions League is the Super Bowl. This would be a tough time to get into soccer. The atmosphere is what really sets them apart.

I wish Pittsburgh had an MLS team. Can we trade the pirates for an MLS team? Would be nice to follow EPL but hard to follow a sport on a different continent, especially without having a team to root for. My dad roots for Chelsea so that could be a start.

I agree on MLS. Although it's trash right now. I think Pittsburgh will be on the wrong side of that in hundreds of years. Soccer will be played forever. Where NFL might not last another 50 years. Captain America from PA had a big goal for Chelsea yesterday.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
They won the EPL. It's like the equivalent of winning your division in NFL. Champions League is the Super Bowl.
Is it really though? I know very little about soccer aside from the fact that it‘s pretty different and Madden/others seem to be treating this as if they had won the Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, World Series or NBA championship.

Funny too this celebration is really coming off the heels of another team having lost...

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

I know it wasn't MLS but didn't they have the Riverhounds or something like that?

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Is it really though? I know very little about soccer aside from the fact that it‘s pretty different and Madden/others seem to be treating this as if they had won the Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, World Series or NBA championship.

Funny too this celebration is really coming off the heels of another team having lost...

Well I'll let you decide. According to Google 200+ leagues.. EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, MLS, etc. Champions League is a tournament of all the best teams in the world.

Reactions: Rossi Rat

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Soccer is pretty tough to do an apples to apples comparison with the NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB. I’d definitely agree that the Champions League is the ultimate goal for a lot of teams but winning the league is way more of an accomplishment than beating out three other teams to win your division. Liverpool just won the Champions League last year so I’d argue that winning the league might mean a little more to them this year.

And that doesn’t even mention some of the domestic competitions like the FA cup that happen each year. Soccer’s just completely different.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
They won the EPL. It's like the equivalent of winning your division in NFL. Champions League is the Super Bowl. This would be a tough time to get into soccer. The atmosphere is what really sets them apart.

I agree on MLS. Although it's trash right now. I think Pittsburgh will be on the wrong side of that in hundreds of years. Soccer will be played forever. Where NFL might not last another 50 years. Captain America from PA had a big goal for Chelsea yesterday.
NFL is too popular to not be around long term.

However, I wouldn't be surpirsed if baseball is irrelevant in 2-3 generations.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I know it wasn't MLS but didn't they have the Riverhounds or something like that?
Riverhounds are still here. But they might as well not exist because they have ZERO exposure. No ads, no commercials, no banners, no TV games, no mention on the news or radio.

What's the point of being a sports team if no one knows you exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad