The Pittsburgher Thread: Draft Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Still say Murphy would be a great pick..RS Soph and if he stayed another year he would prob be top ten. We've passed on the DBs who turned out great and took ones who werent. I wouldn't pass on Murphy if Hock and Bush arent there. Agree they should trade back if he along with those other 2 arent there.

This draft is all about the 2nd and 3rd rounds....stacked with talent. Not much of a dropoff from late first thru those 2 rounds.

Perfectly reasonable if you're sold on Murphy.

BTW, I'm not NOT sold. Just not nearly as sold as you.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Edmunds is way too early in his career to say if he was a good pick or a bad pick. For example, after year one everyone would have taken Artie Burns over Troy Polamalu.

In the Tomlin era, here are the first round picks:

6 of them have been Pro Bowl players, 5 have not. I'm not counting Edmunds.

The way some people talk around here, I would assume that every first round pick has been a bust. IMO, the only player that has been a bust is Jarvis Jones. The other non pro bowl players have been serviceable at times in their careers. Though if Artie Burns doesn't come around then I am willing to put him in the bust category.

Also have to realize where we usually pick. We've had much better drafts than teams constantly picking in the top ten. Colbert had some bad picks(think the league changing to speedy/athletic types along with us having to rebuild at the same time threw him off a bit. Had us reaching for those types...Dupree and Burns).

They finally realize they need more players with a high football IQ. And back to character guys. To go with being good enough to play in today's game.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Perfectly reasonable if you're sold on Murphy.

BTW, I'm not NOT sold. Just not nearly as sold as you.

Yeah thats what coming out as a Soph will do. Thats why he is dropping.

Good example is Josh Alen. If he declared last year he would have been available for us. Now hes top 3 possibly.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah thats what coming out as a Soph will do. Thats why he is dropping.

Good example is Josh Alen. If he declared last year he would have been available for us. Now hes top 3 possibly.

I think that's why I'm open to trading down to pick up an extra 2nd. I just think at the positions where the Steelers are looking-- WR, CB, S, ILB (after the big two)-- you can do better than way.

Unless, of course, Murphy is their guy.

Let's just hope Peter King is wrong then. :laugh:

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Unless Bush or Hockenson or someone of that kind of value/need falls, I'd actually look to trade down about 10 slots and try to pick up an extra 2nd.

CB, S, and WR . . . you'll find guys you like anywhere from the late 1st to early 3rd round. After the top two ILB's go, same situation. So, why not pick up an extra pick in that range and trade down.

This has always been my thought process because it seems highly unlikely they get either Devin without trading up. At that point trade down to get some extra day 2 ammo and still get a solid value pick in the 27-32 range

Reactions: Jaded-Fan and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This has always been my thought process because it seems highly unlikely they get either Devin without trading up. At that point trade down to get some extra day 2 ammo and still get a solid value pick in the 27-32 range

IF you trade down and get another 2nd (pure value chart is #21 is worth NE's 1st and 2nd picks, but someone would do a little better, I suspect), then in that late 1st through early 3rd range, you'd have 4 picks . . . ILB, CB, S, WR. Seems like the obvious play. Heck, you could even consider a RB and still address 3 of the 4 more urgent need positions.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I just think we need to package a few picks and try to get Bush or any other top talent that falls a bit.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Unless Bush or Hockenson or someone of that kind of value/need falls, I'd actually look to trade down about 10 slots and try to pick up an extra 2nd.

CB, S, and WR . . . you'll find guys you like anywhere from the late 1st to early 3rd round. After the top two ILB's go, same situation. So, why not pick up an extra pick in that range and trade down.

I could get down with that.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I just think we need to package a few picks and try to get Bush or any other top talent that falls a bit.
I could live with that. but if we do trade down, two guy's I might be looking at are jace stearnbugger te.
and vosean joseph lb. plus with the high number of good dl men available we could pick up a good one.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I have my list of guys I'm watching for the draft.

Devin Bush (ILB)
TJ Hockenson (TE)
Byron Murphy (CB)
Dexter Lawrence (NT)
Deonte Thompson (FS)
Chase Winovich (OLB)
Rock Ya-Sin (CB)
Julian Love (CB)
Jerry Tillery (DE)
Trayveon Williams (RB)
David Montgomery (RB)
TJ Edwards (LB)
Deebo Samuel (WR)
David Long (CB)

Who are you all intrigued by?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The crazy thing is, it actually may be better for the team to back up and try to collect more top 96 picks. The 2nd and 3rd round is loaded with good players.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think that's why I'm open to trading down to pick up an extra 2nd. I just think at the positions where the Steelers are looking-- WR, CB, S, ILB (after the big two)-- you can do better than way.

Unless, of course, Murphy is their guy.

Let's just hope Peter King is wrong then. :laugh:

So many seem down on Murphy. I don't get it. Productive, athletic, one of the youngest players in the draft, only a sophomore. So LOTS of room to grow and improve. Which if he did as a Senior could be a top five pick. Position of need.

Seems like an ideal pick at 20.

Reactions: The Old Master

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Edmunds is way too early in his career to say if he was a good pick or a bad pick. For example, after year one everyone would have taken Artie Burns over Troy Polamalu.

In the Tomlin era, here are the first round picks:

6 of them have been Pro Bowl players, 5 have not. I'm not counting Edmunds.

The way some people talk around here, I would assume that every first round pick has been a bust. IMO, the only player that has been a bust is Jarvis Jones. The other non pro bowl players have been serviceable at times in their careers. Though if Artie Burns doesn't come around then I am willing to put him in the bust category.

Also people need to keep in mind that while Jarvis Jones was the only real bust they drafted in the first round on this list, that talent pool in 2013 was atrocious and one of the worst pools of the last 25 years.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So many seem down on Murphy. I don't get it. Productive, athletic, one of the youngest players in the draft, only a sophomore. So LOTS of room to grow and improve. Which if he did as a Senior could be a top five pick. Position of need.

He thinks so too...or maybe he knows something...:)

Byron Murphy posts photo of himself in Steelers jersey

Also, he was a red shirted sophomore and turned 21 in January...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

He lacks ideal height and speed for an outside corner, basically why.

I don't care about that shit though. He was a former all-American receiver in HS and has really good instincts. Thats uh, what you look for in corners, unless you are the Steelers.

He's the guy I'm hoping they take if Bush isn't there. They need playmakers on their defense and thats what Murphy is.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

I don't care about that **** though. He was a former all-American receiver in HS and has really good instincts. Thats uh, what you look for in corners, unless you are the Steelers.

He's the guy I'm hoping they take if Bush isn't there. They need playmakers on their defense and thats what Murphy is.

Normally would agree about size but hes alot like Denzel Ward. And could have moved up that high in draft if he stayed another year.

Will be a steal

Still wouldn't mind Greedy Williams either. LSU CBs always pan out. And some have dropped in the past just like Greedy is now. Proving teams wrong. We missed on alot of good ones.

Cant go wrong with either one. If we do go corner will be interested in seeing how Burns responds next season. Already losing starting job but adding another corner..could get him back to where he was headed before. Hard to fix it in season...and he started young enough to turn it around still. Gets whole offseason to reset.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
Also people need to keep in mind that while Jarvis Jones was the only real bust they drafted in the first round on this list, that talent pool in 2013 was atrocious and one of the worst pools of the last 25 years.

Bud Dupree is a huge bust even worse than Jones because he still plays

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

I like murph…..I just don't like how our cb picks have worked out.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013

I don't care about that **** though. He was a former all-American receiver in HS and has really good instincts. Thats uh, what you look for in corners, unless you are the Steelers.

While I'm not comfortable with any of the CBs Murphy is by far the only one I'd be ok with taking at 20. But again idk. The Steelers history with CBs makes me hesitant.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I have my list of guys I'm watching for the draft.

Devin Bush (ILB)
TJ Hockenson (TE)
Byron Murphy (CB)
Dexter Lawrence (NT)
Deonte Thompson (FS)
Chase Winovich (OLB)
Rock Ya-Sin (CB)
Julian Love (CB)
Jerry Tillery (DE)
Trayveon Williams (RB)
David Montgomery (RB)
TJ Edwards (LB)
Deebo Samuel (WR)
David Long (CB)

Who are you all intrigued by?

Khalil Hodges
N'Keal Harry
Germaine Pratt
Terry McLaurin
Nasir Adderley
Are a few 2nd and later rounds..

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Khalil Hodges
N'Keal Harry
Germaine Pratt
Terry McLaurin
Nasir Adderley
Are a few 2nd and later rounds..

I have seen so many pundits shit talk N'Keal Harry. Coming into the season, he was a talked about guy.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Bud Dupree is a huge bust even worse than Jones because he still plays

Uh, no. I don’t think you understand what a bust is.

Dupree had as many sacks this past season as Jones had in his entire career.

Dupree is far from a bust. He’s an avg OLB, which sucks, but he’s not even close to a bust.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
IF you trade down and get another 2nd (pure value chart is #21 is worth NE's 1st and 2nd picks, but someone would do a little better, I suspect), then in that late 1st through early 3rd range, you'd have 4 picks . . . ILB, CB, S, WR. Seems like the obvious play. Heck, you could even consider a RB and still address 3 of the 4 more urgent need positions.

Yeah it just gives you so many options to get good value out of a lot of picks instead of reaching at 20... (btw I changed from MurrKess to MurrGuentz with the impending Phil trade, just to avoid any confusion lmao)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad