The Pittsburgher Thread: Draft Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The problem with the trade down idea is that the Steelers have around four areas of true need and someone, likely several, who are 20 value, or likely a faller with higher value, will certainly be there in one or two of those positions of need.

I would rather take a player with less warts than two a tier or so below.

If for some reason all the names we have discussed were gone, sure. But that almost certainly will not happen.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I have seen so many pundits **** talk N'Keal Harry. Coming into the season, he was a talked about guy.

Kid is good and had a decent combine. Average speed at 4.54 though.

He did say he wants to stay in AZ though and only gave the cards a private workout.

Harmon would be nice too.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Kid is good and had a decent combine. Average speed at 4.54 though.

He did say he wants to stay in AZ though and only gave the cards a private workout.

Harmon would be nice too.

Well the Steelers handling of the AB situation makes it rather hard for any team, especially the Steelers, to with a straight face tell anyone that they can hold them to a contract or draft position.

They folded like a cheap tent.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
I have my list of guys I'm watching for the draft.

Devin Bush (ILB)
TJ Hockenson (TE)
Byron Murphy (CB)
Dexter Lawrence (NT)
Deonte Thompson (FS)
Chase Winovich (OLB)
Rock Ya-Sin (CB)
Julian Love (CB)
Jerry Tillery (DE)
Trayveon Williams (RB)
David Montgomery (RB)
TJ Edwards (LB)
Deebo Samuel (WR)
David Long (CB)

Who are you all intrigued by?

Great list overall. I’ll swap out Thompson, Edwards, and Samuel for:

Amani Hooker - S
Ben Burr-Kirven - ILB
Hakeem Butler - WR

If White/Bush are gone in the 1st round I personally want Byron Murphy. I get that people are nervous about his measurables but the kid is just a damned good football player and I think he would turn our CB fortunes.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Great list overall. I’ll swap out Thompson, Edwards, and Samuel for:

Amani Hooker - S
Ben Burr-Kirven - ILB
Hakeem Butler - WR

If White/Bush are gone in the 1st round I personally want Byron Murphy. I get that people are nervous about his measurables but the kid is just a damned good football player and I think he would turn our CB fortunes.

Funny thing about measurables - there was this guy who did a frame by frame video of JuJu and how his combine speed is not his game speed. His game speed is that of a 4.3-4.4 player. His combine speed was in the 4.5's. My personal opinion with football players is that if you can ball, you can ball. I don't know many workout warriors that went onto the NFL after having ok college careers and lit it up.

I did forget about Hakeem Butler. We will put something in perspective with him - he is 6'5, he has 35 inch arms, 10 inch hands, and a 37 inch vertical. Ben could throw a ball like 14 feet off the turf and at a standing position dude could jump and catch it. Well not exactly catch it, because he's not real good at that part. If there is a coach that could teach the dude how to catch, he'll be a Pro Bowler.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah it just gives you so many options to get good value out of a lot of picks instead of reaching at 20... (btw I changed from MurrKess to MurrGuentz with the impending Phil trade, just to avoid any confusion lmao)

Yeah, it took me about 2.8 seconds to figure it out. The Murr and Greensburg things were giveaways. :laugh:

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
David Te-Thomas is saying Rock Ya-Sin to the Steelers is pretty much etched in stone. If you read this/listen to the audio I totally get his rationale in terms of him being an Ike Taylor type corner. And I might be wrong but I won’t be happy taking Sin over Murphy if both available other than he has a way more badass name haha.

Dave-Te Thomas: Steelers Will Take CB Rock Ya-Sin At #20 - Steelers Depot

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
Funny thing about measurables - there was this guy who did a frame by frame video of JuJu and how his combine speed is not his game speed. His game speed is that of a 4.3-4.4 player. His combine speed was in the 4.5's. My personal opinion with football players is that if you can ball, you can ball. I don't know many workout warriors that went onto the NFL after having ok college careers and lit it up.

I did forget about Hakeem Butler. We will put something in perspective with him - he is 6'5, he has 35 inch arms, 10 inch hands, and a 37 inch vertical. Ben could throw a ball like 14 feet off the turf and at a standing position dude could jump and catch it. Well not exactly catch it, because he's not real good at that part. If there is a coach that could teach the dude how to catch, he'll be a Pro Bowler.

Couldn’t agree more and that’s interesting about JuJu’s okay speed versus timed speed. And that said I totally get it. Look at Devin Bush, he was going to be a first rounder anyways but after his combine he shot up into a potential top ten guy which sucks for us.

Hahaha love the scouting report on Butler. I have more faith in his hands than you I guess, but true he’s not Randy Moss obviously. He’s the receiver I’m most intrigued by though. If I could just have one receiver from this draft though I’d take AJ Brown. At worst he’ll be a solid #2 and really I think he will end up as a Hines Ward level #1. Probably not a hall of gamer but I just don’t see him being anything below good.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
David Te-Thomas is saying Rock Ya-Sin to the Steelers is pretty much etched in stone. If you read this/listen to the audio I totally get his rationale in terms of him being an Ike Taylor type corner. And I might be wrong but I won’t be happy taking Sin over Murphy if both available other than he has a way more badass name haha.

If Tomlin loves him this much (to take him at #20), then sadly I'm expecting Ya-Sin to be a bust.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If Tomlin loves him this much (to take him at #20), then sadly I'm expecting Ya-Sin to be a bust.

2-pilots.jpg

My Jaded Friend, the Steelers are an airplane where one pilot is continually trying to out-stupid the others.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013

You pull me in with Hayley Williame profile pic and then destroy me with this.

God please dont let us do this.

Not at 20... and especially not if Murphy is there.

I'll be ape throwing scat everywhere level annoyed.

Which isnt good considering I'll be in a theatre watching endgame.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Scouts seem to like him and he’s got a 1-2 round grade. It wouldn’t be as bad as taking 3-4 round grade edmunds.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Couldn’t agree more and that’s interesting about JuJu’s okay speed versus timed speed. And that said I totally get it. Look at Devin Bush, he was going to be a first rounder anyways but after his combine he shot up into a potential top ten guy which sucks for us.

Hahaha love the scouting report on Butler. I have more faith in his hands than you I guess, but true he’s not Randy Moss obviously. He’s the receiver I’m most intrigued by though. If I could just have one receiver from this draft though I’d take AJ Brown. At worst he’ll be a solid #2 and really I think he will end up as a Hines Ward level #1. Probably not a hall of gamer but I just don’t see him being anything below good.

I also forgot about AJ Brown on my list. I think he'd be perfect here.

Haha. It is crazy the feeling you get when Tomlin likes a CB. I like Rock, but I wouldn't be picking him at 20. If he is your guy back up and try to get more capital then get aggressive in round 2 - walk away with a combo of Ya-Sin, AJ Brown, Winovich.

Scouts seem to like him and he’s got a 1-2 round grade. It wouldn’t be as bad as taking 3-4 round grade edmunds.

Yeah, I was going to say...at least Rock at that point isn't a total reach, which is something new we may be trying :laugh:

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

But Tomlin’s probably already got some pithy quotable plays on words involving “rock” so it’ll be ok.

Reactions: KIRK

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

If he's like Ike Taylor, will that mean he's allergic to INTs? Because the Steelers already have enough DBs like that.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
That's the problem with elite DBs. It's really hard to find good ones late and coach them up. The elite ones are head cases. Am I surprised the Steelers are targeting someone I just heard about two days before draft? No and it's part of the problem.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
If he's like Ike Taylor, will that mean he's allergic to INTs? Because the Steelers already have enough DBs like that.

I would take Ike Taylor 2.0. He barely ever got hurt, he was a great tackler and he would completely shutdown the opponents #1 receiver. If Ike Taylor could ctach the ball he would be a sure fire hall of famer.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
That's the problem with elite DBs. It's really hard to find good ones late and coach them up. The elite ones are head cases. Am I surprised the Steelers are targeting someone I just heard about two days before draft? No and it's part of the problem.

Rock Ya Sins was talked about alot early in the draft process. He got a lot of great reviews during the senior bowl.

Daniel Jeremiah has Rock as a top 30 prospect.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Rock Ya Sins was talked about alot early in the draft process. He got a lot of great reviews during the senior bowl.

Daniel Jeremiah has Rock as a top 30 prospect.

To be honest he reminds me way too much of prior reaches that the Steelers made that busted, He may be all that and a bag of chips, but if he is the choice, I am going to be really worried because the Steelers have earned the opposite of the benefit of the doubt when they go off the board in the first round even slightly making picks because they think that they know better.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
To be honest he reminds me way too much of prior reaches that the Steelers made that busted, He may be all that and a bag of chips, but if he is the choice, I am going to be really worried because the Steelers have earned the opposite of the benefit of the doubt when they go off the board in the first round even slightly making picks because they think that they know better.

I'm with Kirk in if we do want someone like Ya Sin or Savage if they are both there at 20 then trade down to mid to late 20s and see if you can pry another 2nd or 3rd.

Then you can select them with the new late 20s 1st and we got another pick along with it.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

Which ones are head cases besides Ramsey? I could see saying that about receivers, but I'm not aware that it is common with corners. EDIT: I see you said DBs, not corners, but I'm still not sure it's a trend.

Ya-Sin has been in the top 40 in pretty much everyone's mocks. Granted, he's been slotted in around picks 30-35 from what I've seen, so it could be seen as a mini-reach if the Steelers do take him, but this isn't an exact science and pretty much never will be. Point is he's a legit high-end pick and has been talked about as such for 2-3 months at least. Not to mention that he is among a group of about 5 corners at the top of the position this draft who everyone has rated in a different order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->