The Pittsburgher Thread: Draft Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Which ones are head cases besides Ramsey? I could see saying that about receivers, but I'm not aware that it is common with corners. EDIT: I see you said DBs, not corners, but I'm still not sure it's a trend.

Ya-Sin has been in the top 40 in pretty much everyone's mocks. Granted, he's been slotted in around picks 30-35 from what I've seen, so it could be seen as a mini-reach if the Steelers do take him, but this isn't an exact science and pretty much never will be. Point is he's a legit high-end pick and has been talked about as such for 2-3 months at least. Not to mention that he is among a group of about 5 corners at the top of the position this draft who everyone has rated in a different order.

Sherman. The best one in this draft is nicknamed Greedy. They never fit the Steelers mold so we settle for 2nd tier and they end up being like Artie Burns.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Sherman. The best one in this draft is nicknamed Greedy. They never fit the Steelers mold so we settle for 2nd tier and they end up being like Artie Burns.

Okay that's one more name, though I don't know what you're getting at anyways. Patrick Peterson isn't a loud mouth. Revis wasn't either, or Rod Woodson. I don't see this trend you're seeing. You're trying to make some correlation between the best corners and rude attitudes, which just doesn't hold, and then saying the Steelers don't like attitudes (highly debatable) so hence they don't pick the best corners. None of that holds water.

Also, Greedy hasn't been seen as the best corner since like January. Everyone agrees he is the best cover guy who also happens to be afraid to tackle running backs, or sometimes just in general. Like I said, there are about 5 guys everyone has in the general mix, and one is Ya-Sin. He is in the mix as much as Greedy even if he's not flashy and didn't go to a big time school, both of which don't mean everything.

It wouldn't be shocking of some teams had Ya-Sin (or Murphy or Baker for that matter) as their top-rated corner even though they're not as sexy, because all the top corners have roughly the same grade, and it seems to be coming down to a matter of opinion and preference.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

Greedy Williams is not considered the best in the draft. There are like 5-6 CBs that all have around the same grade.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Hardly out of whack. Less than Wilson.

Plus, they can always play with it in a year or two if cap space is needed.

So I just saw another report on it and he already earned $5 million of it so it was actually 2 years $68 million and the signing bonus is actually $37 million, not $45 million

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So I just saw another report on it and he already earned $5 million of it so it was actually 2 years $68 million and the signing bonus is actually $37 million, not $45 million

Did they add 2 years to his current deal or rip up the last year and convert it to a 2 year, 68M deal? IF that 5M roster bonus paid is being counted towards it, then it sounds like they ripped up the current deal and made it into a 2 year deal.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Did they add 2 years to his current deal or rip up the last year and convert it to a 2 year, 68M deal? IF that 5M roster bonus paid is being counted towards it, then it sounds like they ripped up the current deal and made it into a 2 year deal.

From everything I am reading and hearing it sounds like they added 2 years to his 1 remaining year

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I would take Ike Taylor 2.0. He barely ever got hurt, he was a great tackler and he would completely shutdown the opponents #1 receiver. If Ike Taylor could ctach the ball he would be a sure fire hall of famer.

At this point, I would take Ike 2.0 too and Ike drove me f***ing nuts. He could at least run with guys and swat balls away. If that dude had hands he would have been a top 5 CB in the league.

Rock Ya Sins was talked about alot early in the draft process. He got a lot of great reviews during the senior bowl.

Daniel Jeremiah has Rock as a top 30 prospect.

The issue I have with Rock isn't with him or his skill. I find him really intriguing. The issue I have with drafting him is that he is REALLY raw. You know who else we drafted that were really raw in the 1st round? Artie Burns and Bud Dupree. For f*** sake I just want them to take a good football player who doesn't need a ton of coaching to be productive.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Hardly out of whack. Less than Wilson.

Plus, they can always play with it in a year or two if cap space is needed.

I'm hoping Ben is very motivated this offseason and maybe shows the control of his early career. Personally I think Ben is right behind Tomlin & Butler on my disappointed list the past several seasons.

I also am very curious how Rudolph will look this preseason. It would also be very curious if Ben gets injured and Rudolph starred.

I see no reason why the Steelers couldn't have waited to do this signing, I hardly think Ben would have went somewhere else.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
It wouldn't be shocking of some teams had Ya-Sin (or Murphy or Baker for that matter) as their top-rated corner even though they're not as sexy, because all the top corners have roughly the same grade, and it seems to be coming down to a matter of opinion and preference.
Yeah, I agree on that one. Colbert said there wasn't a consensus top wr and that the #1 guy would be different to different teams. I think you can say the same for the CB's. There isn't a clear #1 guy. They all have warts and it's just a matter of preference. I like Rock's upside. I just think he's a slight reach at #20.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Now this is good news.

When did they fire Tomlin and Colbert?

Another miss postseason, or collapse like this past season they should be looking for another HC. (albeit if their once great kicker made two field goals they would've had a bye week in the postseason)

I like Colbert. He's also respected across the league.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
I see no reason why the Steelers couldn't have waited to do this signing, I hardly think Ben would have went somewhere else.
No, but he would've pouted and stomped his feet publicly, and we'd have to hear about it in the media for the next 3 months. Not saying that was their motivation for signing him, but it's why I'm glad the deal is done.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Another Rock Ya-Sin to the Steelers mock.

This time from Danial Jeremiah. His reason for Ya-Sin. "The Steelers need to add playmakers in the secondary. Ya-Sin is probably the safest corner prospect in the draft."

Daniel Jeremiah 2019 NFL mock draft 4.0: Redskins land Haskins

Maybe I'm wrong but this just scream Artie Burns to me. Inexperienced, boom or bust prospect.

I have a theory that Colbert is absolutely going to try and move up. He's been quoted very recently saying "he doesn't use a trade value chart". Nice excuse to have if you have to give up a bit more than expected and take flak for it in the media.

As poorly as I feel about Tomlin and the franchise overall, I think they realize that Shazier not playing is a huge void. You have Haden for at least 1 more year. You just brought in Nelson. Have a nice slot guy already in Hilton. CB shouldn't be touched in round 1, for obvious reasons. S is what it is but I'm not burning a 1st there, especially this year. DL is still strong.

MLB is THE key piece on D. You need somebody who can play 3 downs, explodes well both east-west, north-south, can cover, tackle, etc. That's the Devin's. I think as soon as White goes off the board you really need to start exploring a move up. I think Bush is going to be a stud. Yeah he's short but that doesn't diminish all the other great traits he has. Plus it can only free up space for Williams, Watt, and company.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad