GDT: The Pittsburgher Drama Thread: Steeler Season - Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Glanced over the last couple pages...Don’t get why you people do this to yourselves.

Did ya think Tomlin suddenly became a good coach over the summer?

Why any Steeler fan in their right mind would subject themselves to a Hoody vs Tomlin match boggles my mind. It’s like pitting Garry Kasparov vs Lenny Small in a game of chess.

Just hoping for an entertaining season that as far as I’ve been concerned for several months, starts next week. And hopefully the Chiefs can keep rolling because they are the only hope the AFC really has.

It’s not the players man... been trying to drive this home for years.

Switch just the head coaches and Pats would be getting dummied. Never been more sure of a statement than that.

I don't think the Chiefs are the AFC's only hope when it comes to beating New England

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’m on vacation so I couldn’t watch the local post-game coverage. Did anyone call out Tomlin for being a moron? What nonsensical cliche’s did he use after the game?

Are there people still out there that think he’s a good coach? How many more years will his dinosaur franchise stand by him?

What are the Ben apologist saying today? What was the excuse for last night? You can’t use the “he has to force balls to AB” argument. Please tell me why it seemed like every ball was two feet over receivers’ heads. What is the next defend Ben at all cost propaganda?

AB looks like a genius right now.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
And I’m so sick of starting every season unprepared. It takes the crappy coaches a month before they work out all of the kinks. WTF is the point of training camp???

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't think the Chiefs are the AFC's only hope when it comes to beating New England

I don’t trust Rivers not to melt down agt NE. He’s 5-6 in his playoff career and has never really won any big playoff games.

I want to be wrong, again, but I don’t see it.

If it makes you feel better I’d like the Chargers chances 10x better than the Steelers. However, that is kind of obvious I’d think.

At least the Chargers have competent coaching.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I don’t trust Rivers not to melt down agt NE. He’s 5-6 in his playoff career and has never really won any big playoff games.

I want to be wrong, again, but I don’t see it.

If it makes you feel better I’d like the Chargers chances 10x better than the Steelers. However, that is kind of obvious I’d think.

At least the Chargers have competent coaching.

I believe that the Chargers absolutely have a roster that can beat New England. I understand you saying that about Rivers because he hasn't given you any reason to not feel that way. I also think if Watson is healthy Houston could stand a chance

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I’m on vacation so I couldn’t watch the local post-game coverage. Did anyone call out Tomlin for being a moron? What nonsensical cliche’s did he use after the game?

Are there people still out there that think he’s a good coach? How many more years will his dinosaur franchise stand by him?

What are the Ben apologist saying today? What was the excuse for last night? You can’t use the “he has to force balls to AB” argument. Please tell me why it seemed like every ball was two feet over receivers’ heads. What is the next defend Ben at all cost propaganda?

Ben was trash last night.... that still doesn't mean Ben was in any way at fault for AB being a little ***** and quitting on the Steelers last season

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
This was not about the Pats but our own team. We shut them down in the win last year and if you factor in the Jesse James rule as that being a win....that would be 2 in a row. Yet most still flip out when we lose to the Pats.

Any team would have beat us last night...and here's why...

Moncrief - 3 catches for 7 yards on 10 targets

All 10 Hitting his hands/body.

When down 20-0 and Ben finally embarrassed....first throw of drive was a 33 yard catch from Washington . finally....heres the comeback. He then was sent to bench and Ben had 3 incompletions to Moncrief in the endzone settling for field goal instead.

And 4 targets to Holton(who suddenly passed JW on depth chart) for 0 catches. Thats 14 targets resulting in 3 catches for 7 yards

Haha. This wasnt about the opponent.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
No, there is no hope in the AFC...

The Chiefs had them beat last year and low and behold some dumbass lines up offside and keeps NE alive to win it...

It’s more of a mental game than anything with the Pats. They turn players and coaches inside out trying to figure out how to beat them while they just keep doing what they do.

If the Pats win number 7 this year, I am officially done with the NFL.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
This was not about the Pats but our own team. We shut them down in the win last year and if you factor in the Jesse James rule as that being a win....that would be 2 in a row. Yet most still flip out when we lose to the Pats.

Any team would have beat us last night...and here's why...

Moncrief - 3 catches for 7 yards on 10 targets

All 10 Hitting his hands/body.

When down 20-0 and Ben finally embarrassed....first throw of drive was a 33 yard catch from Washington . finally....heres the comeback. He then was sent to bench and Ben had 3 incompletions to Moncrief in the endzone settling for field goal instead.

Haha. This wasnt about the opponent.
Tomlin is undefeated against his own team. There isn’t a coach in the league that can hold a candle to him as far as beating himself...

Oh, and cliches too.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I believe that the Chargers absolutely have a roster that can beat New England. I understand you saying that about Rivers because he hasn't given you any reason to not feel that way. I also think if Watson is healthy Houston could stand a chance

Your team isn’t saddled with Tomlin, so there is always a chance. I wouldn’t be shocked if they won or anything. I just think the Chiefs are the best hope. I’ve also been a big Chiefs fan for years so I’d like to see them finally win a SB in my lifetime.

Being a Steeler fan, I’ve accepted reality years ago as long as Tomlin is around. My hope is to just see a fun season without watching two players I despise.

Reactions: KIRK

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

"It won't define us if we don't let it"

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

Lol I actually thought you were going AB with that: imploding their locker room.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Your team isn’t saddled with Tomlin, so there is always a chance. I wouldn’t be shocked if they won or anything. I just think the Chiefs are the best hope. I’ve also been a big Chiefs fan for years so I’d like to see them finally win a SB in my lifetime.

Being a Steeler fan, I’ve accepted reality years ago as long as Tomlin is around. My hope is to just see a fun season without watching two players I despise.

My thing with the Chiefs (besides the fact that they play in the same division as my favorite team) is that I don't trust Andy Reid in big games. For whatever reason he can't seem to get over that hump (aside from the one Super Bowl the Eagles made.) This is true that they aren't saddled with Tomlin but I will say that Gus Bradley needs to have learned from the divisional game last season if the Chargers want the chance to win. He refused to adjust from zone coverage and he never blitzed. That needs to change first and foremost for the Chargers to have the best shot

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Lol I actually thought you were going AB with that: imploding their locker room.

Lol, no not where I was headed haha... The only issue I see with that line of thinking is that New England would never keep him around long enough to implode the locker room. If they even get a hint of him being a locker room issue they will just cut him before he can do that kind of damage

Reactions: NEPA

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Tomlin is undefeated against his own team. There isn’t a coach in the league that can hold a candle to him as far as beating himself...

Oh, and cliches too.

Well he def has no handle on Ben. Tomlin watched Washington dominate every preseason game. Then he stood there all half watching Ben throw to anyone but him...not even having him out there most of the time.

Second half should just open things up right? And send Washington deeep...along with Juju/DJ. Already down 20-0 ...short passes to the new guys they r trying to force in there....isnt going to make a diff. Start making big plays now for a quick score. But none of that.

Who he targeted was bad enough but This was one of the worst called games I've seen

Zero urgency to score....or creativity. Im glad Rogers is gone but we really need Switzer gone as well. 6 catches for 20 yards does nothing for us. He can catch...he just can't make anyone miss . So in total that was 10+6+4= 20 targets to Moncrief, Switz, Holton leading to a whopping 34 yards . And that's 20 you are taking away from those with actual game breaking talent.

Who says we need to have the #2 WR label settled immediately? Listened to media thinking had to have that to open things up for Juju? Throwing to Vance down field a few times would help with that. Samuels/Conner as much as it takes til they break for a long gain like weve already saw them do last year. Instead of trying that with Switzer who has no YAC ability for some reason even tho hes a return man.

They should have kept Diontae Spencer over him. This team needs explosive players.

Last edited:

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
i really dont even like football anymore and its just a force of habit, so that makes it doubly annoying how frustrating last night truly made me

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
i really dont even like football anymore and its just a force of habit, so that makes it doubly annoying how frustrating last night truly made me

I shifted in that direction. I love hockey. And i actually watched the US Open Final on tv while Steelers were on the laptop. But as you get older, you invest in things that invest back in you. And yet Tomlin still broke me in the first half. :laugh:

It's just a game at the end of the day but Mike Tomlin is embarrassing a franchise that has 2 SBs in this era. That's insane to think about. And i love the 412 so much that him embarrassing us over and over again is frustrating me.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
They looked like a group who ran maybe 12 plays together in preseason. Add in a ****ty game plan and ****ty playcalling and that’s what you get
that's about how many plays they did play together in preseason. moncrief played even less. and we have a coach that continues to get schooled, and yet never learning.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well he def has no handle on Ben. Tomlin watched Washington dominate every preseason game. Then he stood there all half watching Ben throw to everyone but him...not even having him out there most of the time.

Second half should just open things up right? And send Washington deeep...along with Juju/DJ. Already down 20-0 ...short passes to the new guys they r trying to force in there....isnt going to make a diff.

Who he targeted was bad enough but This was one of the worst called games I've seen.

Yep...Ben is treated like AB was...complete deference to whatever he likes and wants to do...the main problem last night was the O and it wasn’t all on Ben...the O line was manhandled...was it just a good scheme, or a sign of age/decline?...that’s as troubling as the dumb playcalling...WRs couldn’t get separation either...not all on Ben...he was throwing high because of O line and WR problems...

It will be a long season if we can’t run the ball, as we couldn’t last night...but I don’t understand why we’re not creative in how and when we run it...the O formations just set the run game up for failure and tip opponents off to when we are running...this forces everything on Ben’s shoulders and the young wideouts...Ben isn’t capable and has never been capable of shouldering all of that...Tomlin and staff need to actually start coaching and scheming plays to beat coverage instead of just saying “Ben, you and the WRs figure it out”...if they can’t do that, they should be fired...it’s ridiculous...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
My thing with the Chiefs (besides the fact that they play in the same division as my favorite team) is that I don't trust Andy Reid in big games. For whatever reason he can't seem to get over that hump (aside from the one Super Bowl the Eagles made.) This is true that they aren't saddled with Tomlin but I will say that Gus Bradley needs to have learned from the divisional game last season if the Chargers want the chance to win. He refused to adjust from zone coverage and he never blitzed. That needs to change first and foremost for the Chargers to have the best shot

I don’t trust Reid either, he’s basically Cowher/Schottenheimer in terms of being a good coach that can’t get over the hump.

I’m hoping Mahomes becomes his Roethlisberger.

I’m sure Bradley will adjust, it’s what good coaches do. I just heard from someone who knows the game well and he told me the Steelers were running similar schemes agt the Pats last night as they did last December...

I refuse to watch the game, even a replay to confirm, but I’m 100% certain Tomlin is that dumb.

I can’t stop laughing at how stupid Tomlin is... how many times does he have to get up there and say his team wasn’t properly prepared to play “stadium football” before his defenders wake up?

I see us as bottom feeders right now, as we should be. Build through the draft and wait for the pats to get old.

Bro... it’s not the players. What are they rebuilding, exactly?

They have all the pieces to be a SB contender. Their coaching has held them back for a decade now.

Getting great talent won’t overcome poor coaching. We should know that by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: KIRK

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bro... it’s not the players. What are they rebuilding, exactly?

They have all the pieces to be a SB contender. Their coaching has held them back for a decade now.

Getting great talent won’t overcome poor coaching. We should know that by now.

I do think the biggest issue on the Steelers is their coaching, but this team isn't a SB contender on paper. They're going to go like 7-9 this year, coaching doesn't take a team from a SB contender to that.

Colonel Mustard

Dec 26, 2017
I wish ben didnt still play favorites. I mean i am sure switzer is nice dude, but 6 catches for 20 yards isnt going to do it.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I do think the biggest issue on the Steelers is their coaching, but this team isn't a SB contender on paper.

Sure it is.

They have more than enough talent at every spot to be a formidable team and one of the best in the league.

However, this league is now more than ever about coaching and schemes. I’m done breaking things down for people to the nuts and bolts about Tomlin’s coaching like I did in the past.

People literally have to have a football IQ lower than my shoe not to see it by now. No coach does less with more than Tomlin, and he’s as poor an X and Os guy as I’ve seen, and I’ve backed that up quite substantially in the past.

Like Bradshaw said, he’s more cheerleader than a legit strategist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad