The Pettersson and Hughes Contract Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
There are people who just have a permanent chip on their shoulder. I have been a Canucks lover since 1970. My BIL always cheers for the other team, because he is jerk and likes to bait everyone. There was a guy in our section (top of the Red Fs at the old Coliseum) who always wore the competition jersey to every game and voiced his hate of the Canucks. There is always going to be a vocal minority.
We have had some great players and some great periods on the Canucks. (getting Bure, the brilliance of the Sedins thanks to Burke, drafting EP). We have come within an inch of two Lord Stanleys.

Armchair quarterbacks (to very slightly mix metaphors) can always find fault with management, especially in hindsight.

Believe me. I became apoplectic over the signings of Schaller, Louie, Beagle, Rousell, Sutter (price, not player) and other short term fixes to achieve little while creating long term pain.

For the first time since the heyday of the Sedins (hallowed be their names) we have a complete team with a great young core. We have swung for the fences (again, wrong sport metaphor) at high risk with our signing of OEL and Garland.

But, I would argue that is a real chance this a team that could go deep if only a few things go well....EP becomes a 100 pt player when other teams have 3 scring lines to defend against and we have a strong breakout defence feeding him....Hughes grows defensivly with a stronger team and more experience....Podz steps in and takes a significant role...and (the make or break) OEL returns to close to the form that made him a Norris contender. I would further argue that each one of these is a real possibility.

Jimbo has emptied our cupboard to give us a chance. There really are only two possibilities. Either we have a magic team for a few years with real prospect for our one bugbear, obtaining the elusive Lord Stanley. Or it all turns into a complete clusterf*ck.

I desperately hope Jim has found a formula.

(Now, let's hear the flamers....but, but, but.... Green, mismanagement, etc. etc. ad nauseum)

Go Canucks!

Good post. One issue is that people are just die hard fans and look at everything with rose coloured glasses. Because their blind optimism irritates me, I come back with truth.

people get excited about a jack rathbone fkr example. You know how many teams have prospects like him? 31 teams. You may not know who they are , but they are everywhere.

people get excited about VasPod when realistically they drafted a grinder top 10 overall.

People hate hearing the truth if it hurts their hopes. This franchise has been shit since inception. We are allowed to not be happy about that. I prefer more people pissed off that we have the 2nd worst win % ever in the NHL.

Reactions: xtra and MarkMM

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
A week before training camp, the dates when bo and brock signed. Reports that this week coming up they are gonna work hard at it. Is it really that far fetched?
But isn’t that obvious? Each day until training camp and beyond the pressure to get them signed will increase. The fact is most other similar RFAs have already been signed. Nothing should be holding these signings up now. All other factors are known.

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
There are people who just have a permanent chip on their shoulder. I have been a Canucks lover since 1970. My BIL always cheers for the other team, because he is jerk and likes to bait everyone. There was a guy in our section (top of the Red Fs at the old Coliseum) who always wore the competition jersey to every game and voiced his hate of the Canucks. There is always going to be a vocal minority.
We have had some great players and some great periods on the Canucks. (getting Bure, the brilliance of the Sedins thanks to Burke, drafting EP). We have come within an inch of two Lord Stanleys.

Armchair quarterbacks (to very slightly mix metaphors) can always find fault with management, especially in hindsight.

Believe me. I became apoplectic over the signings of Schaller, Louie, Beagle, Rousell, Sutter (price, not player) and other short term fixes to achieve little while creating long term pain.

For the first time since the heyday of the Sedins (hallowed be their names) we have a complete team with a great young core. We have swung for the fences (again, wrong sport metaphor) at high risk with our signing of OEL and Garland.

But, I would argue that there is a real chance this a team that could go deep if only a few things go well....EP becomes a 100 pt player when other teams have 3 scoring lines to defend against and we have a strong breakout defence feeding him....Hughes grows defensivly with a stronger team and more experience....Podz steps in and takes a significant role...and (the make or break) OEL returns to close to the form that made him a Norris contender. I would further argue that each one of these is a real possibility.

Jimbo has emptied our cupboard to give us a chance. There really are only two possibilities. Either we have a magic team for a few years with real prospect for our one bugbear, obtaining the elusive Lord Stanley. Or it all turns into a complete clusterf*ck.

I desperately hope Jim has found a formula.

(Now, let's hear the flamers....but, but, but.... Green, mismanagement, etc. etc. ad nauseum)

Go Canucks!

That's a lot of IFs but perhaps something positive to look forward to that we haven't had for some time now...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
But isn’t that obvious? Each day until training camp and beyond the pressure to get them signed will increase. The fact is most other similar RFAs have already been signed. Nothing should be holding these signings up now. All other factors are known.
True the way the CBA has factored in RFA contracts, it's idiot proof.

Course..

QOG6CWJQ6RB5NLOCOFTAE5YP5Y

Best defending reason to keep Jim Benning as GM. John Turd is currently the #2.

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020

Attachments

• FB7A53DE-18AB-4FF7-BBC0-66C34F3CCC49.jpeg
    FB7A53DE-18AB-4FF7-BBC0-66C34F3CCC49.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 6

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
In the most recent 31 Thoughts Friedman says:
  1. That the Canucks have been concerned about a Pettersson offer sheet all off-season.
  2. This concern increased after the Kotkaniemi offer sheet—in particular they worried that Montreal would target Pettersson if they walked away from KK.
  3. The Canucks and Pettersson’s camp decided to take the month of August off after not making a lot of headway before. Will get back at it this week.

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020
  1. That the Canucks have been concerned about a Pettersson offer sheet all off-season.
  2. This concern increased after the Kotkaniemi offer sheet—in particular they worried that Montreal would target Pettersson if they walked away from KK.
  3. The Canucks and Pettersson’s camp decided to take the month of August off after not making a lot of headway before. Will get back at it this week.
Was the concern that he thought if anyone would offer sheet petey it would be montreal and bergavin? Have to assume that the dvorak trade squashes that.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011

That's what I figured... what's the hold up at this point?
Just mind games and waiting for the last minute to seal the deal, just because they can.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

brady tkachuk and rasmus dahlin are two players who could impact the market.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

So everyone just decided to go on vacation and put it on the backburner? lol

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
We have walked ourselves into a tough situation and doubled down with the trade for OEL. We should be signing both to long term contracts with a higher value now, but more manageable in the long term. We have really set ourselves up by also handing over the 9th overall when elc contracts are what allow teams to win. This tire fire burns relentlessly.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
The problem I have with these negotiations is that these aren’t likely to be long term deal, they are going to be 2-4 year deals some sort of bridge contract because of how poor Benning has managed the team there just isn’t enough cap to extend long term.

So the fact that we’re a few weeks from camp and they can’t even get a short term deal done is scary. Hopefully there is no long term bad faith with either player after these are done.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
When you have Beavis & Butthead as the GM and Assistant GM, nothing is that straightforward.

then go cheer for another team if they bother you so much. I hear there is a brand new team just a few hundred km away and you can get there quickly.

Reactions: Jimnastic

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
The problem I have with these negotiations is that these aren’t likely to be long term deal, they are going to be 2-4 year deals some sort of bridge contract because of how poor Benning has managed the team there just isn’t enough cap to extend long term.

So the fact that we’re a few weeks from camp and they can’t even get a short term deal done is scary. Hopefully there is no long term bad faith with either player after these are done.

they have $16M+ in cap space if needed. JB is negotiating like a good GM would and a fair deal will get done hopefully before TC opens.

Reactions: Jimnastic

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

I’m sure there is some bad blood. I suggested that weeks ago and there was a poster who kept saying “it’s just business” …. Clearly there’s going to be some lasting effects here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA