The Pettersson and Hughes Contract Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I figured we could have a one stop shop for this discussion since they’re so frequently linked now, and are now the last two RFAs the Canucks need to lock up.

This is with Rathbone not on the roster. If Rathbone starts the season on the Canucks instead of Hunt, we lose $125k in cap space.
Also Podkolzin has a slightly higher cap hit than guys like Dowling and Highmore.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
This is with Rathbone not on the roster. If Rathbone starts the season on the Canucks instead of Hunt, we lose $125k in cap space.
Also Podkolzin has a slightly higher cap hit than guys like Dowling and Highmore.

PuckPedia's projection has Podkolzin and Rathbone on the roster. It would affect cap space only if the Canucks bridge both Pettersson and Hughes for <=$13M and stay under the $81.5M mark in total.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
PuckPedia's projection has Podkolzin and Rathbone on the roster. It would affect cap space only if the Canucks bridge both Pettersson and Hughes for <=$13M and stay under the $81.5M mark in total.

Patterson 9.0
Juice 7.5

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
It seems to me that their combined capt hit could range from about $13M to $18M. But a lot of that depends on term/UFA years. I'm sorta going with $14.5M, but I'm not gonna pretend I have a rock solid argument to support that number.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
hopefully, the issue is how much term do the canucks' offers buy. so you could call that term, or you could call that money.

pettersson and hughes no doubt are both valuing themselves higher than last season's stats would justify so there is room for to and fro.

also, canucks are unlikely to sign hughes until pettersson signs, and thereby expose themselves to an iffer sheetm but barry may try and tempt them.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So for the cap experts, how much cap room do we actually have available to sign those two? (factoring in Ferland being on LTIR)?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
So for the cap experts, how much cap room do we actually have available to sign those two? (factoring in Ferland being on LTIR)?

I think Motte might be on LTIR as well.

If that's the case that adds 4.7 ish million. If they carry 13 forwards and 7 defense, they could look at waiving someone like Dowling, Di Giuseppe, and say Hunt for another 2.3m (just randomly picking names, who knows how training camp breaks down.)

So they have 10,664,341m in cap space currently. add the 7ish from the moves I suggested and that gives them almost 18m.

(I could be completely wrong about Motte, who they send down, etc.)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Motte might be on LTIR as well.

If that's the case that adds 4.7 ish million. If they carry 13 forwards and 7 defense, they could look at waiving someone like Dowling, Di Giuseppe, and say Hunt for another 2.3m (just randomly picking names, who knows how training camp breaks down.)

So they have 10,664,341m in cap space currently. add the 7ish from the moves I suggested and that gives them almost 18m.

(I could be completely wrong about Motte, who they send down, etc.)

Well even if Motte isn’t ready for training camp I don’t think you plan on him being out for the whole season.

My question is basically asking how much cap room we have given a full roster/expected roster with Ferland being on LTIR.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Well even if Motte isn’t ready for training camp I don’t think you plan on him being out for the whole season.

My question is basically asking how much cap room we have given a full roster/expected roster with Ferland being on LTIR.

True. A little more than 16m to sign Pettersson and Hughes.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Hmm… that’s really tight to sign both long term.

Yup looks like someone's getting the bridge and someone gets term.

Personally I would have liked to have locked up Pettersson and bridge Hughes, but given the cost difference and Pettersson's recent comments, I think it's more likely the opposite happens.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Doesn’t a player making 925k take up more cap space than a player making 750k?

I think Pod should be kept up no matter what. But if we wanted to, couldn’t we send Rathbone down (to start with), and have brad hunt up in his place, who makes only 800k. This would be to maximize cap space.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yup looks like someone's getting the bridge and someone gets term.

Personally I would have liked to have locked up Pettersson and bridge Hughes, but given the cost difference and Pettersson's recent comments, I think it's more likely the opposite happens.

I would prefer to lock up Petey long term. And ss there much of a cost difference if it takes $8M AAV or more to lock up Hughes long term?

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Just pay them. They are our top center and top D. We go all in on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad