The Pettersson and Hughes Contract Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
As an example, the Flyers just torpedoed a season by not properly insulating Carter Hart. The Penguins bowed out of the playoffs because Jarry was appalling.

I know Demko had a wonderful 3 or 4 games in the bubble, but prior to Covid when Markstrom got hurt Demko really struggled and gave away some games.

Fluke season? I know Pearson got a lot of empty net points, but he's worth a lot more than points. Also, he has two other years within 5 points of his 'fluke season'. Admittedly in 12 or so less games, but the point stands.

And yes, austerity. They could have, and would have, bought out Sutter and possibly Virtanen. The austerity measures kneecapped our front office. This isn't opinion, this is fact. I won't disagree that Holtby wasn't a very good bet, but pretending that insulating a young and inexperienced goaltender is a bad move shows that either you don't know how to build a team, or that you would rather be 'right' (in hindsight) than correct.

Your whole argument is kind of destroyed when you’re claiming they would have bought out Virtanen … a player who was an RFA in summer 2020 they qualified and gave a new contract to. You’re just making stuff up as you go along.

Carter Hart had a 500+ game veteran backup who went 15-9 last year. And it was his 2nd season as a starter. Goalies can blow up at any time and when it happens you’re screwed. It’s a volatile position, and it isn’t any more volatile for younger goalies than older ones.

Does Brian MacLellan not know how to build a team? Why did Washington not insulate their young goalie? Do you actually think it’s better teambuilding to sign bad backup goalies than core roster players? The mind boggles.

Tanner Pearson was absolute shit last year, absolute shit in the bubble, and absolute shit to close out the 19-20 regular season. His skating has fallen off a cliff.

Reactions: MarkMM

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Is that what Aho, couturier, Nurse, Svechnikov, Peletch, Hyman etc did!??
Lol. Terrible terrible take. So wrong.

If guys like Aho and Svech are fine with being underpaid in a couple of years that’s their loss. Tom Dundon is appreciative of their sacrifice I’m sure. Aho probably could have gotten more actually but he went the offer sheet route so he had to be careful not to make the number so high the Canes wouldn’t match it. The Svech contract is going to be a gift when he’s a 90pt player scoring 40 goals a year.

McDavid is already underpaid, so is Draisaitl. But they’re locked in now so there’s nothing they can do about it. Matthews will be making more money than McDavid for at least a couple of years because he signed shorter and will extend sooner. It’s not because he wants to leave Toronto, it’s because he’ll probably be coming back to the table for $14M after five years. Had he signed eight years at $11M he would have made $88M in those 8 years. Great money, sure. But if he signs five years at $11M ($55M) then resigns a mega deal at $14M AAV he will have made $97M in that same eight year window (five years at $11M, first three years of the new deal at $14M). $97M > $88M. Which would you take?

I truly believe cocky young guys like Matthews look at the NBA model and want to replicate it. Superstar basketball players sign short deals with player options so they can constantly opt out and resign for bigger and bigger money every couple of years. If player options were a thing in the NHL I guarantee every young star player would be working them into their deals. If I were a betting man I’d expect the NHLPA will be pushing for shorter RFA windows at the next opportunity because right now the teams are exploiting the system and getting the best production years out of a lot of players for under market value. The league is going younger but young players have a hard time getting what they’re worth because the RFA system is so restrictive. The ones with leverage are going to use it if they can.

As for guys like Couturier and Hyman, they are older players and THAT’S when a guy wants the long term security so they know they’re paid well into their 30’s when they’re on the decline. Not the same situation at all. When the time is right the Matthews type players will absolutely pounce on an 8yr deal to stretch the back end of their careers as long as possible. Couturier will be 29 in a few months, why wouldn’t he sign for eight if he was able to get it?

RFA dman like Nurse and Miro and others do seem to love the 8yr deals for whatever reason. There’s a different dynamic there for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sneezy

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
Why do you guys waste time debating with Pastor, Russian Racket, Naslund19 and Krutovsdonut? They are here to defend Jimbo and bait people to get them banned. If ignore them, they will lose their purpose here. Engaging them in conversation is pointless as long as the mods here have their back. The ignore button is blessing when dealing with such individuals.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Your whole argument is kind of destroyed when you’re claiming they would have bought out Virtanen … a player who was an RFA in summer 2020 they qualified and gave a new contract to. You’re just making stuff up as you go along.

Carter Hart had a 500+ game veteran backup who went 15-9 last year. And it was his 2nd season as a starter. Goalies can blow up at any time and when it happens you’re screwed. It’s a volatile position, and it isn’t any more volatile for younger goalies than older ones.

Does Brian MacLellan not know how to build a team? Why did Washington not insulate their young goalie? Do you actually think it’s better teambuilding to sign bad backup goalies than core roster players? The mind boggles.

Tanner Pearson was absolute shit last year, absolute shit in the bubble, and absolute shit to close out the 19-20 regular season. His skating has fallen off a cliff.

Okay, I made a mistake on Virtanen, but there was definitely something regarding a plan that would have been different around him. For the record, I hate Virtanen and hated him before it was 'cool'.

Goaltending not being any more volatile for young goalies? I'm sorry, did you just start watching hockey?

Brian Elliott is a terrible goaltender who basically built a career around being the body in net behind the defensive powerhouse that was the St Louis Blues. He went 15-9, but I note that you don't mention his numbers 3.06 GAA and .889 Save Percentage, because they don't serve the point you're trying to make. His numbers were marginally better than Hart's, but if they had a vet they could actually have leaned on they may well have made the playoffs.

Why did The Caps not insulate their young goalie? You mean the headcase who got injured off ice being a dunce and missed the bubble playoffs and then broke Covid protocol twice? The Capital team that keeps bowing out meekly in the playoffs while squarely in the tail end of their prime years?

Or do you mean the MacLellan who tried to insulate their young goalies with Lundqvist who had a heart problem? Oh, I guess you just "kInD oF dEsTrOyEd yOuR aRgUmEnT". "yOuR mAkInG sTuFf uP aS yOu gO aLoNg"...or we could respectfully speak about hockey and allow each other to make mistakes, your call.

And Tanner Pearson is a good middle six player and 3.25 million is a reasonable contract. I'm sorry that your hatred for our GM blinds you to the quality of some of our players, but in no world is 3.25 million (a pay cut, for the record) a crippling contract for a 2nd line filler/good third liner.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Why do you guys waste time debating with Pastor, Russian Racket, Naslund19 and Krutovsdonut? They are here to defend Jimbo and bait people to get them banned. If ignore them, they will lose their purpose here. Engaging them in conversation is pointless as long as the mods here have their back. The ignore button is blessing when dealing with such individuals.
So everyone who isn't engaging in the echo chamber of negativity should be ignored? Yeah, the best discourse is when we ignore all dissent. Good call.

Reactions: Strangelove

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
You'd be such an interesting person to talk hockey with if you had even a shred of humility.

Okay, I made a mistake on Virtanen, but there was definitely something regarding a plan that would have been different around him. For the record, I hate Virtanen and hated him before it was 'cool'.

Goaltending not being any more volatile for young goalies? I'm sorry, did you just start watching hockey?

Brian Elliott is a terrible goaltender who basically built a career around being the body in net behind the defensive powerhouse that was the St Louis Blues. He went 15-9, but I note that you don't mention his numbers 3.06 GAA and .889 Save Percentage, because they don't serve the point you're trying to make. His numbers were marginally better than Hart's, but if they had a vet they could actually have leaned on they may well have made the playoffs.

Why did The Caps not insulate their young goalie? You mean the headcase who got injured off ice being a dunce and missed the bubble playoffs and then broke Covid protocol twice? The Capital team that keeps bowing out meekly in the playoffs while squarely in the tail end of their prime years?

Or do you mean the MacLellan who tried to insulate their young goalies with Lundqvist who had a heart problem? Oh, I guess you just "kInD oF dEsTrOyEd yOuR aRgUmEnT". "yOuR mAkInG sTuFf uP aS yOu gO aLoNg"...or we could respectfully speak about hockey and allow each other to make mistakes, your call.

And Tanner Pearson is a good middle six player and 3.25 million is a reasonable contract. I'm sorry that your hatred for our GM blinds you to the quality of some of our players, but in no world is 3.25 million (a pay cut, for the record) a crippling contract for a 2nd line filler/good third liner.

Probably worth mentioning that Lundqvist signed a very appropriate 1.5x1 deal vs Holtby's 2x4.3's deal. I don't think most people would have had a problem signing a veteran goaltender for that rate, as we saw this year when Halak's deal was announced for the same price before word of bonuses filtered in.

Reactions: rypper and MarkMM

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
So everyone who isn't engaging in the echo chamber of negativity should be ignored? Yeah, the best discourse is when we ignore all dissent. Good call.

Discourse is only good or meaningful when people are genuine and willing to change their opinion. Most critics of Benning have done that as they originally gave him the benefit of the doubt when he was hired and slowly turned on him based on the logic and outcome of his decisions, judging the entire body of his work.

However after over 7 years of dismal results, the supporters continue to blindly support him and his moves without any logical defences and only excuses that are all over the place. I think some of his supporters are genuine and are just way too blinded by homerism/optimism and others unfortunately have an agenda on here.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019

it is because some posters just can’t be positive. He says why argue with JB supporters? Actually the question we should be asking some posters is why are they even here? There are now 31 other teams who would accept them with open arms. But wait, we don’t hate the team we just think dim jim is an idiot and a buffoon.

the most embarrassing thing they have done is the fire benning banner. That is a new low even for them.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
it is because some posters just can’t be positive. He says why argue with JB supporters? Actually the question we should be asking some posters is why are they even here? There are now 31 other teams who would accept them with open arms. But wait, we don’t hate the team we just think dim jim is an idiot and a buffoon.

the most embarrassing thing they have done is the fire benning banner. That is a new low even for them.

Dude you post on Canucks Corner as 2Fingers, trashing this place and it’s moderators and then come on here to tell people they shouldn’t post here? This is ridiculous lol.

Reactions: racerjoe

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

While some posters can't be positive, others can't be negative. So where does that get everyone? Nowhere.

Some threads - like the management thread - are more of an all-encompassing conversation where you can discuss the entire ledger of transactions. Other ones - like this one - are here to discuss a specific topic and in my opinion deserve at least a somewhat clean slate to discuss the singular topic at hand.

I think there are some contracts that would gain an overall positive reaction from posters here for these two players. There are some that won't. The part that becomes disingenuous is when posters state their expectations, the contract numbers come in, and then the poster changes their expectation as a means to continue their over-arching belief of the state of the team.

If there are certain posters who you think are being too positive or too negative, just ask them for their expectations prior to something actually happening. You can find out pretty quick who actually stands by their opinions or who just flip-flops depending what the team does.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Over 1000 posts and many have sweet f*** all to do with the topic. Hopefully the next thread gets some moderation.

Also it appears that if people won’t engage a certain faction in the management thread they drag all the mgmt thread content into the Petey and Quinn signing thread. Would absolutely love if the mods can moderate.

Reactions: Sneezy and 604

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
Had he signed eight years at $11M he would have made $88M in those 8 years. Great money, sure. But if he signs five years at $11M ($55M) then resigns a mega deal at $14M AAV he will have made $97M in that same eight year window (five years at $11M, first three years of the new deal at $14M). $97M > $88M. Which would you take?

And if he suffers a serious injury $55 < $88. And he's risking $33 million for just a $9 gain.

I would take the $88 every time and so would most guys. You really don't understand why people value long term security ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad