The Pettersson and Hughes Contract Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
The other thing that sours a bit on Boeser is the structure which locks in a pretty steep qualifying offer. Even if he ends up being worth it, it was still a notable concession that reduces any degree of "win" it was.

This is pretty standard with bridge deals actually. Point, Meier, and Mcavoy all signed bridge deals that summer and all had a similar structure. I don't blame them for wanting it structured that way. Players that take bridge deals are usually taking a discount, and this gives them security they will get paid on the next deal

Reactions: MarkMM

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I was just a little nervous about this situation a week ago. Now I'm starting to get very nervous. Why can't anything ever be easy for the Canucks? Seriously starting to get legit stressed about the lack of contracts for Hughes/Pettersson. Someone say something to talk me off the ledge.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
I was just a little nervous about this situation a week ago. Now I'm starting to get very nervous. Why can't anything ever be easy for the Canucks? Seriously starting to get legit stressed about the lack of contracts for Hughes/Pettersson. Someone say something to talk me off the ledge.

Horvat signed his extension on September 8th, and Boeser signed on Sept 16th. Patience.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Maybe i should just keep these thoughts in my head and not write them down.

But seriously, i dont think with the recent contracts handed out (by Benning and around the league), its hard for me to see QH or EP signing for a combined 15 million. Its going to be above that.

One can’t finish a season without a major injury and the other is one of the top 5 worst defenders in the NHL. They should let me negotiate.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

Someone on here , actually multiple people were saying how normal it is that they aren’t signed lol. Maybe for Canucks it’s normal. Do you see any other teams with their 2 star players unsigned ? Any team at all?

the optimistic people are as annoying as us pessimistic people to be honest maybe worse. Legit the 2nd worst points % team EVER in NHL history and people wake up finding reasons to be rah rah it’s great.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Someone on here , actually multiple people were saying how normal it is that they aren’t signed lol. Maybe for Canucks it’s normal. Do you see any other teams with their 2 star players unsigned ? Any team at all?

the optimistic people are as annoying as us pessimistic people to be honest maybe worse. Legit the 2nd worst points % team EVER in NHL history and people wake up finding reasons to be rah rah it’s great.
Yes. I think the only reason it’s two star players is because they have the same agent. It will happen. Have patience young grasshopper.

Reactions: bh53 and Bougieman

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

so the sky is falling?

Reactions: bh53

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Are they star players, or are they a constantly injured player and the worst defender in the universe or whatever?

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
The 2nd year in a row we didn't have a 1st round pick selection. Rebuilding team!

Yep - great deal by JB to move our 9OA in a highly unknown draft year for a player that had a 0.80 PPG last year. Something we wish and hope the 9OA pick turns out to be.

JB smacked that ball way out of the park down centre field.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011

why are you here?

Reactions: bh53 and Sneezy

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I thought the Horvat RFA contract was pretty good. The tanev one too, if I remember correctly.

I think Im been naive tho but I have hope we get good contracts for Pettersson and Hughes too

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This is pretty standard with bridge deals actually. Point, Meier, and Mcavoy all signed bridge deals that summer and all had a similar structure. I don't blame them for wanting it structured that way. Players that take bridge deals are usually taking a discount, and this gives them security they will get paid on the next deal

Agreed except I wouldn't say they are "usually taking a discount." The first year of the bridge deal should be valued lower given that the player has no arbitration rights and if you look at most of those deals that first year is certainly valued friendly. But the last year of the deal is pretty rich for a lot of them given that it isn't a UFA year.

I definitely prefer Boeser's $7.5M qualifying offer to Matthew Tkachuk's $9M.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Is 18 million not enough?

I get the feeling JP Barry is trying to get Hughes term and Petey a 5yr deal that has him holding all the cards if he doesn't like where things are going and he has some big offensive yrs.

What are the risk factors?.....Hughes sucks at defending and is purely an offensive guy and that Pettersson gets to free agency at 26/27.

Hughes has no arbitration rights use the leverage to give him a show us short term deal understanding he will not surpass Makar and give Petey as long as you can. Ideally to 30 if they can get 8yrs.

Should be plenty of money to get this accomplished

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Agreed except I wouldn't say they are "usually taking a discount." The first year of the bridge deal should be valued lower given that the player has no arbitration rights and if you look at most of those deals that first year is certainly valued friendly. But the last year of the deal is pretty rich for a lot of them given that it isn't a UFA year.

I definitely prefer Boeser's $7.5M qualifying offer to Matthew Tkachuk's $9M.

Agree here. The only time they really take a discount is if they are playing for a contender that is cash strapped. The McAvoy contract is an example.

That Tkachuk contract is terrible. An overpayment for a bridge where Tkachuk can accept the QO and go right to UFA.

There is a lot of things you can give Benning crap for. The Boeser contract structure is not one of them.

Reactions: F A N

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Are they star players, or are they a constantly injured player and the worst defender in the universe or whatever?

They are the teams star players who one of which is injury prone and the other cannot defend but labeled a star as he puts up many secondary assists and skates a lot.

2 traits can be had by 1 person. It is possible.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
We don't have $18M in cap space.

I believe they do, with Ferlands LTIR and with the farm team in Abby they carry 21 players instead of 23. From examples I have seen it gives them $16M in cap space. It just gives them very little room to manoeuvre.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I don’t share Johnny’s pessimistic views on EP, but when it comes to Hughes, I just don’t understand how people can put the blinders on to the deficiencies in that guy’s game and have no worries about a term/big money deal with him.

Is his defense going to be good enough that he can outplay his matchups enough to justify his contract? Currently, he’s shown that he can’t hold his head at ES.

I’d give Pettersson basically any number long term though. No worries with him and think the injury criticism is ridiculous/unfair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille