Confirmed with Link: The Penguins have re-signed defenseman Juuso Riikola to a two-year contract.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
Juuso Riikola and Chad Ruhwedel will perform the Dragon Ball Z fusion dance to form Chuuso Ruhkola. They'll have a completely flat blade and a cap hit of $937.5k.

Qk8GLj4.png

:laugh:

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
With a 2 year deal, I hope Riikola ignores the coach and plays his game. He needs to go back to playing the way that made the organization interested in him in the first place. Go back to throwing the monster hits, and skating the puck out of the zone, along with not being afraid to let some bombs go from the other blueline. I expect big things from him this season if he’s allowed to play his game.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
It was their strategy not to play him so they could sign him on the cheap.

Im guessing he has 3rd pair locked up...

Either JJ is on the other side or everyone gets their wish and he goes to the waiver wire and buried. Thats if POJ impresses enough to take that other spot.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
This is a good thing. Cheap defenseman who we think can play solid 3rd pairing minutes.

This might signal that we are going to put one of Riikola or Ruhwedel with JJ, might signal we are moving JJ, might signal that we are going to start the season with 8 D, and it might signal that we are going to get to camp and let the performances sort it out. It's not like we can't waive Riikola or Ruh or bury them in the minors to recoup cap if they don't win a spot.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It was their strategy not to play him so they could sign him on the cheap.

Im guessing he has 3rd pair locked up...

Either JJ is on the other side or everyone gets their wish and he goes to the waiver wire and buried. Thats if POJ impresses enough to take that other spot.

Lol the classic rookie year MAF money saving strategy

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Gotta have depth in case our boy JJ gets injured, because that’s the only way that piece of **** Sully doesn’t start him.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
This is a good thing. Cheap defenseman who we think can play solid 3rd pairing minutes.

This might signal that we are going to put one of Riikola or Ruhwedel with JJ, might signal we are moving JJ, might signal that we are going to start the season with 8 D, and it might signal that we are going to get to camp and let the performances sort it out. It's not like we can't waive Riikola or Ruh or bury them in the minors to recoup cap if they don't win a spot.
we need to move some of those "might's" we have far too many.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
That doesnt fit with the chronic posters narrative though.
When it comes to lineup decisions, the buck stops with Sully. He can take whatever input he wants from the assistants, but ultimately, he's the one that decides who gets a jersey that night.

If the assistants are deciding who plays and who doesn't against the head coach's wishes, then that's an even bigger issue. But I don't buy that. Especially with the rumors that the assistants were too much of "yes" men.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Nah, they turn into a Bethesda rpg character where you crank all the sliders during character creation.

BS they never give you enough points

JMFJ found all the secret boosts to max out his S.P.E.C.I.A.L abilities on ice, though

He's very special, indeed

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lol at this place pretending that treating Riikola like a #7D is "treating him wrong".

He has played in basically half of the games in the last 2 years. You can say "well he's better than JJ!", but just because you think JJ sucks doesn't mean that players think he sucks. I highly doubt that Riikola is taking offense to JJ playing over him.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean, I'm pleasantly surprised he signed with a club where he got scratched for way lesser players than JJ instead of going back home for a regular position.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean, I'm pleasantly surprised he signed with a club where he got scratched for way lesser players than JJ instead of going back home for a regular position.

He's making a lot of money to eat popcorn. Why would he care?

Also, tbh. We have no idea what the conversations he has had with management and the coaching staff are.

Reactions: EightyOne

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I too am surprised when people opt not to to give up on their professional dreams and chances to make 3 times as much money a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: pixiesfanyo

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I too am surprised when people opt not to to give up on their professional dreams and chances to make 3 times as much money a year.

I don’t know how much Riiko’s dream of owning his own sauna with a built in vodka dispenser really is at play here, but your heart is in the right place. I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad