Confirmed with Link: The Penguins have re-signed defenseman Juuso Riikola to a two-year contract.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Shouldn't have been a surprise after Rutherford's comments in the Tribune. Slightly surprised he went with two years rather than one, but I guess why not? More money for him and if the chances aren't there...

Doesn't this signing essentially mean they're not going to give a shot to POJ out of camp? Only way he has a shot is if Johnson is moved.

No, because they could always just trade Riikola. I think someone would like him for a 4th on this contract and if space needs to be made, it can be done.

That said - them having 5 LDs they really like doesn't feel sustainable and it feels like there's a good chance of a move there sooner or later.

Unless he takes a significant step I think he needs the seasoning, if we’re being realistic. POJ isn’t a case of them holding an NHL ready player back and him being ready to start the season is a best case scenario they shouldn’t rely on. He’s where Dumoulin was for awhile, waiting for the mental part to click and for things to slow down. Maybe that’s next season, maybe it’s not. Counting on it is how you get a “Pouliot is the plan... f***, the plan sucks.”

That being said, a desperate team might rush him regardless of if he’s really ready. Knowing the Pens half of the D won’t make it through the first week.

I think he could use the seasoning too based on what little I've seen but it sounds a lot like management and at least some of coaching think he's there. They want to give him a shot to make it. And their opinion is more important.

Besides, him having a shot and him being relied on are two different things. He could have a shot with 3 LD ahead of him as they could sit one, but he wouldn't be relied upon. With 4 LD? It's a lot harder to sit two, particularly with Ruhwedel already signed. That's a situation where they'd probably have to make a move to give him a true shot at the roster, either now or when it happens.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
JR is locking up his defensive depth for the next two years now instead of giving up assets at the deadlines for it. Real solid move.

Having that D depth doesn't count for anything if your coach isn't willing to play it over your bad defensemen.

I wanted to see JR upgrade on the 7th D this off-season and acquire someone who Sullivan may actually play over Johnson. He's not scratching Johnson for Riikola or Ruhwedel.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Having that D depth doesn't count for anything if your coach isn't willing to play it over your bad defensemen.

I wanted to see JR upgrade on the 7th D this off-season and acquire someone who Sullivan may actually play over Johnson. He's not scratching Johnson for Riikola or Ruhwedel.

Yes. I would have liked to get gustafsson & Namestnikov instead of the 40 year old, sheary and Erod.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I am equal parts happy and confused.

Maybe they'll actually play him this year. On defense. Ideally without Jack Johnson.

200.gif

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
1.15m gives JR the ability to sign a higher priced RD, seeing as how the bottom pair was sucking up almost 9m of cap this past season.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I do think GMJR knows he needed to begin the process of signing, trading and drafting young d men. the system 2 years ago was bankrupt of D talent. since then added POJ, O'Reilly, Manacalco, Petts and of course Marino. Now the D while still needing to replace Schultz caliber D man at a much lower cost. Now you have 3 or 4 potential young D men who appear to be NHL caliber talents.

Reactions: theicebox

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
"Let's go to Jusso now for his take on why he decided to re-up with the Penguins"

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Another example of the disconnect between GM and coach. If Riikola is on our third pairing next season, the money works well. If he is our No. 8 like 2019-20, yikes.

Ruhwedel needs to play 29 games this season to be eligible for the expansion draft (in the sense that we could expose him as the D-man with experience).

Riikola would need to play 34 games this season to be eligible.

Of course Johnson only needs to play 3 games to be eligible and I have a hard time believing he WON'T be here, so all of this is moot.

I am really confused.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Johnson playing in the NHL and Riikola playing in the AHL = $3.325 (Riikola cost $75k if playing there)

Riikola playing in the NHL ($1.15 mil) and Johnson playing in the AHL ($2.175 mil is the cost since it’s cap hit minus waiver savings of $1.075 mil) = $3.325

As I asked before, coincidence? Lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Johnson playing in the NHL and Riikola playing in the AHL = $3.325 (Riikola cost $75k if playing there)

Riikola playing in the NHL ($1.15 mil) and Johnson playing in the AHL ($2.175 mil is the cost since it’s cap hit minus waiver savings of $1.075 mil) = $3.325

As I asked before, coincidence? Lol

There is a negative percent chance that the Penguins bury Johnson in the AHL. They just don't operate that way as an organization.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think he could use the seasoning too based on what little I've seen but it sounds a lot like management and at least some of coaching think he's there. They want to give him a shot to make it. And their opinion is more important.

Besides, him having a shot and him being relied on are two different things. He could have a shot with 3 LD ahead of him as they could sit one, but he wouldn't be relied upon. With 4 LD? It's a lot harder to sit two, particularly with Ruhwedel already signed. That's a situation where they'd probably have to make a move to give him a true shot at the roster, either now or when it happens.

I’d take what they’re saying with a grain of salt, tbh. It’s not the first time they’ve talked up a player or prospect and it isn’t a sure fire way to gauge what they’ll do when things start up. Him getting a chance doesn’t mean he’ll seize it or that he’ll do well in the NHL. It also doesn’t mean they aren’t posturing.

This I agree with but when you have a D Sullivan seemingly doesn’t like in Riikola and the JJ situation, it shifts POJ more towards being relied on.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I've always thought to myself that there was some sort of an agreement between Riikola, the front office, and the coaching staff that he would take deals and would just develop with the NHL roster and not be sent to the AHL. This deal really cemented that theory to me.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There is a negative percent chance that the Penguins bury Johnson in the AHL. They just don't operate that way as an organization.

well if they’re not going to trade him, they need to and should operate that way...he should never be playing if he’s still here unless there are injuries

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’d take what they’re saying with a grain of salt, tbh. It’s not the first time they’ve talked up a player or prospect and it isn’t a sure fire way to gauge what they’ll do when things start up. Him getting a chance doesn’t mean he’ll seize it or that he’ll do well in the NHL. It also doesn’t mean they aren’t posturing.

This I agree with but when you have a D Sullivan seemingly doesn’t like in Riikola and the JJ situation, it shifts POJ more towards being relied on.

I don't disagree about the pinch of salt given the nature of the beast - but POJ also fits with getting cheaper and younger. Plus, as you said, Riikola seems untrusted and JJ seems ungood. I think even with a pinch of salt it makes sense to consider the possibility they're serious and what that means for the roster going forwards.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What if Sullivan is fine with Riikola, but Gonchar or Martin are not fans? Do assistant coaches have that much pull?

It would play a part for sure. I think it's Martin who called the pairings in game at the very least, and presumably had a pretty loud voice in selecting them.

I'm not sure I'd assume Sullivan was fine with him though. Particularly when the current narrative is Sully likes yes men.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Juuso Riikola and Chad Ruhwedel will perform the Dragon Ball Z fusion dance to form Chuuso Ruhkola. They'll have a completely flat blade and a cap hit of $937.5k.

Qk8GLj4.png

Chuuso sounds like it sound be a delicious deep fried snack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad