Confirmed with Link: The Penguins have re-signed defenseman Juuso Riikola to a two-year contract.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This signing also makes it more difficult for POJ to get a look next year.

I'm fine with signing Riikola, but I'm really confused for why JR seems content with the status quo for everything on defense after bitching about it after being eliminated. Is his plan really just to publicly throw Schultz under the bus and just replace him?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Easily still could. But as I said, I think everything much like Phil is pointing to a Letang being the piece that gets moved out.

It's much less likely with him signing an extension. If the Penguins wanted to trade Riikola, they wouldn't have signed him ahead of time.

And I really hope JR isn't so dumb that he decided to trade Letang because he re-signed Riikola and Ruhwedel.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Easily still could. But as I said, I think everything much like Phil is pointing to a Letang being the piece that gets moved out.

Maybe Dumoulin. Ruh is our only 3rd pairing RD right now so keeping him makes sense.

Having POJ, not trading JJ AND keeping Rik points to a LD being moved IMO.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's much less likely with him signing an extension. If the Penguins wanted to trade Riikola, they wouldn't have signed him ahead of time.

And I really hope JR isn't so dumb that he decided to trade Letang because he re-signed Riikola and Ruhwedel.

I don’t think it’s because he signed Riikola and Ruhwedel.

I think it’s because as he laid out..

A. He wants the D to be younger. Letang is the oldest member.

B. He wants to cut cap and Letang is the richest contract.

C. He believes our core outside of Sid “doesn’t want it as much”. So using Letang as a shake-up proves that point.

D. He’s a f***ing moron.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad