Confirmed with Link: The Penguins have re-signed defenseman Juuso Riikola to a two-year contract.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He's making a lot of money to eat popcorn. Why would he care?

Also, tbh. We have no idea what the conversations he has had with management and the coaching staff are.

Because some players like to play. Lord knows American and Canadian players have thrown shit fits for less. :dunno:

Who knows in the end? Riiko’s an enigma, a riddle, a Finn.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Because some players like to play. Lord knows American and Canadian players have thrown shit fits for less. :dunno:

Who knows in the end? Riiko’s an enigma, a riddle, a Finn.

He is playing though. I know the fanbase might think a 2nd year Euro only playing half the season is bad, but I'm sure Riikola expected to be in this role when he signed on.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Sorta off topic, but man do I hope Marino continues to develop and get better and doesn't hit the sophomore slump, and Dumo's ankle (?) injury doesn't result in long term, career-altering issues. :laugh:

Reactions: EightyOne

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sorta off topic, but man do I hope Marino continues to develop and get better and doesn't hit the sophomore slump, and Dumo's ankle (?) injury doesn't result in long term, career-altering issues. :laugh:
Marino's IQ is idiot proof, so our coaching staff can only ruin him if they keep giving him shit partners like Pettersson and Johnson, otherwise his hockey IQ is so strong, he's going to keep developing well because he wills it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think the only thing potentially you see from Marino is a drop offensively.
I don't. If anything, at times he hesitated if he should rush up, like "Oh shit, I'm way too new, should I be taking this risk?" type of thing. Reirden should sort that out, if he is the one that allowed Niskanen to figure his offensive side out again, he should do wonders with Marino. Marino was never scouted to be good offensively anyway, but he showed he has some decent talent there. He's not a shooting defenseman though, he's more of a rushing one that likes to cut in and shoot off the rush.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd say Marino's ceiling is probably that of a better Paul Martin--which would be fantastic. Not spectacular, won't put up a bunch of points, but extremely good defensively and at getting pucks up to an attacking position.

That's why I desperately want us to find another offensive-minded blueliner. We've missed that second layer of pressure/production beyond Letang for years, and it kills us.

Reactions: madinsomniac

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't. If anything, at times he hesitated if he should rush up, like "Oh shit, I'm way too new, should I be taking this risk?" type of thing. Reirden should sort that out, if he is the one that allowed Niskanen to figure his offensive side out again, he should do wonders with Marino. Marino was never scouted to be good offensively anyway, but he showed he has some decent talent there. He's not a shooting defenseman though, he's more of a rushing one that likes to cut in and shoot off the rush.

Weird. I see him as being terrible on the rush and more of a defenseman that needs time to shoot offensively.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I'd say Marino's ceiling is probably that of a better Paul Martin--which would be fantastic. Not spectacular, won't put up a bunch of points, but extremely good defensively and at getting pucks up to an attacking position.

That's why I desperately want us to find another offensive-minded blueliner. We've missed that second layer of pressure/production beyond Letang for years, and it kills us.

If Calen Addison becomes exactly what you describe Im gonna be...

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Weird. I see him as being terrible on the rush and more of a defenseman that needs time to shoot offensively.
Weird. I only have confidence in Letang, Riikola, and Marino being able to skate the puck out into the offensive zone with any sort of regularity. Schultz used to be able to, and at times Dumo can if he gets a good head of steam, but it’s certainly not a strength of his.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Look back at his goals and his points this past season, he's done it on the rush more often than not.

His skating is smooth and he carries the puck well, but he suddenly had the confidence he didn't show in College much, to dive to the net, etc.

Like that goal vs his hometown Bruins.

But I guess a bit of both.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I'm ok with it. I like Zucker and I'm curious when Sully is fired, what a less idiotic coach can do with this offense.

It wasnt a bad trade for us but thought Billy G would have made a "we will help you out this time, get me back next time" type deal. After all of the years he was with us. Whats the poiint of former Pens going to be GMs elsewhere if not for that lol.

Not saying it should have been a 3rd rounder for Zucker but a 1st, Galchenyuk, and Addison? Good Lord. One could argue a swap of Galchenyuk for Zucker isnt far off. Def not the diff of a 1st and Addison.

Thought for sure we would make some win now friendly type deals with Minny. Imagine adding Brodin with Zucker at the deadline for that package instead. Ok we would have had to add a little more but you get what Im saying. And if we did land him we would prob still be playing. Hopefully we still can make a deal...without having to give up a 1st, Poulin, and Murray.

Murray and ZAR(Billy G loves Z) to Wild for Brodin and Addison back lol.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Didnt Russo say Brodin could be had for MM (I am guessing more added)? Wild fans say Russo did not say that in his article.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It wasnt a bad trade for us but thought Billy G would have made a "we will help you out this time, get me back next time" type deal. After all of the years he was with us. Whats the poiint of former Pens going to be GMs elsewhere if not for that lol.

Not saying it should have been a 3rd rounder for Zucker but a 1st, Galchenyuk, and Addison? Good Lord. One could argue a swap of Galchenyuk for Zucker isnt far off. Def not the diff of a 1st and Addison.

Thought for sure we would make some win now friendly type deals with Minny. Imagine adding Brodin with Zucker at the deadline for that package instead. Ok we would have had to add a little more but you get what Im saying. And if we did land him we would prob still be playing. Hopefully we still can make a deal...without having to give up a 1st, Poulin, and Murray.

Murray and ZAR(Billy G loves Z) to Wild for Brodin and Addison back lol.
People here mocked Billy G as an idiot. I always felt he was far smarter than people gave him credit for. He made a legit strong hockey deal and didn't take any discount or give any to his ex team.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
People here mocked Billy G as an idiot. I always felt he was far smarter than people gave him credit for. He made a legit strong hockey deal and didn't take any discount or give any to his ex team.

I never thought that. He goofs around alot...but as more of a lighten the mood type.

And yeah I know, as cool as that would be(I have no prob admitting Id love for that to happen) ..no new GM is going to purposely help out a former team and ruin his rep around the league. This is the NHL. Not Belichick/Kraft's NFL.

If it was we would have gotten Zucker, Fiala, Brodin for 2021 3rd, 2022 4th, and 2023 5th . Each pick gets moved up a round if Pens win cup. Rights to ZAR if b2b cups with those 3 still in the lineup.

Or something simple like that.

Hornqvist needs to hurry up and retire, become GM of Philly. Hed be crazy enough to do it. Farabee, Hayes, and Provorov for Jack Johnson and Bjugstad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Let’s see what else he does in Minnesota before we praise him. He was able to beat JR in a trade, that is hardy impressive since most gm’s these days would abuse JR.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Let’s see what else he does in Minnesota before we praise him. He was able to beat JR in a trade, that is hardy impressive since most gm’s these days would abuse JR.
It's not just that. Did you ever actually get a read on what Billy did as an assistant gm here? I am in the minority that thinks he would do well before he left.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I never thought that. He goofs around alot...but as more of a lighten the mood type.

And yeah I know, as cool as that would be(I have no prob admitting Id love for that to happen) ..no new GM is going to purposely help out a former team and ruin his rep around the league. This is the NHL. Not Belichick/Kraft's NFL.

If it was we would have gotten Zucker, Fiala, Brodin for 2021 3rd, 2022 4th, and 2023 5th . Each pick gets moved up a round if Pens win cup. Rights to ZAR if b2b cups with those 3 still in the lineup.

Or something simple like that.

Hornqvist needs to hurry up and retire, become GM of Philly. Hed be crazy enough to do it. Farabee, Hayes, and Provorov for Jack Johnson and Bjugstad.
I wanted Fiala when he was with the Preds. No chance Wild give him up unless his contract demands next off season gives Guerin pause.

Speaking of Preds. I wonder if Arvidsson is available.

I don't know why I like a lot of the Preds players. Since Hornys first year I've some how found my way to watching them. Ekholm is a dream LD for me which let's Dumoulin be on the second pairing. I wish....

Ekholm, Letang
Dumoulin, Marino
Pettersson, Riikola

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I wanted Fiala when he was with the Preds. No chance Wild give him up unless his contract demands next off season gives Guerin pause.

Speaking of Preds. I wonder if Arvidsson is available.

Preds are def regretting that one. They knew they had something in Fiala but they were still in all in mode and gave him up for Granlund. Who isnt bad but UFA now and leaving Nash while Fiala was just about a PPG player this season. And only 23.

Im sure alot of players are available on the Preds. FO is frustrated, they were supposed to be the next top team in the West for years to come. They handed out too many long term deals to improve their offense and it backfired. Turris at 6mil until 2024. Sissons didnt pan out like they thought. Duchene 8mil, so far not so good there. Seems like players go to Preds and their numbers drop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Preds are def regretting that one. They knew they had something in Fiala but they were still in all in mode and gave him up for Granlund. Who isnt bad but UFA now and leaving Nash while Fiala was just about a PPG player this season. And only 23.

Im sure alot of players are available on the Preds. FO is frustrated, they were supposed to be the next top team in the West for years to come.
It was an odd deal but Granlund was also a far better player at the time. Even last season, Granlund struggled but he was close to 0.5ppg on a mess of a Preds team that really didn't know how to use him. I'd still love to land Granlund if the Pens want to keep Blue as 4c.

He's better at C than he is at W and Preds basically used him the way the Pens did McCann.

My only reason would be that if Geno or Sid get hurt, Granlund is far better as a 2c option. Also the familiar and success with Zucker is a good thing.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
@JimmyTwoTimes yeah I recall Poile basically saying almost everyone is available. Yikes.

Although I do hope they're in on Murray and JR can work a deal where he dumps them Pettersson and Murray for Ekholm and the Devils 2nd + Carrier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad