Prospect Info: The Pavel Buchnevich Thread (Scores 2 Goals + Assist on Turkey Day)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
who were Tarasenko and Kuznetsov's linemates in their final years?
internet says Tarasenko had the following teammates: Kovalchuk, Tikhonov, Thoresen, Prucha :D
Kuz's were: Andrei Kostitsyn, Jan Bulis, Stan Chitsov, and a lot of lesser known names.

so looks like Tarasenko had a far superior supporting cast. Potentially less ice time? But also might mean he was on the 1st PP unit with Kovy?

yeah, meanwhile I don't recognize a single name on Buch's team. Even a few former NHLers must be nice to have on your team. I'm hoping the lack of supporting cast and overall mediocre performance of his team really motivate him to come over. Can see him with Kreider & Stepan. those two could certainly use some help this season.

Tarasenko's only linemate of significance in his time with Sibir (which was most of his KHL career) was Lehtera. And for the first couple years he didn't even have Lehtera, he had nobodies, similar to Buch.

Getting very excited about Buch, I think his potential is massive.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
YT Quality of the goals:

First goal starts at 1:46 - Great defensive play, great speed, great finish.
Second goal starts at 3:25 - Looks like an absolute 100 MPH rocket from the top of the circle.

Oh, and they also gave Buch the secondary assist late on the game timing goal :) 3 point game for our man.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Tied in 16th in the KHL in Points
Tied in 14th in the KHL in Goals.

:handclap:

6 more points than the great Kovalchuk (granted Kovalchuk has played 8 less game but still funny)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Keep in mind, he's doing this on a really bad team. If he was playing on a better team, he might be one of the leading scorers in the league.

Also, Kuznetsov and Tarasenko both had seven less points than games in their age 20 KHL seasons (was 19/20 Tarasenko). Pavel is currently at seven less points than games, so if he averages 1PPG for the rest of the season, he will have seven less points than games.

Last edited:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I'm so pumped for Buchnevich. He definitely looks like he can be a game-breaking talent. I just hope that everything goes smoothly with him coming over and joining the Rangers.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Right now, I'm keeping my expectations low. We've been high on a lot of prospects, talk about highlight reels and all that, and they somehow fizzle when they get some playing time with us.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Right now, I'm keeping my expectations low. We've been high on a lot of prospects, talk about highlight reels and all that, and they somehow fizzle when they get some playing time with us.

The difference is that people don't recognize ppg in the Juniors and ppg in the KHL. Someone gets 80-100 points in the Juniors and inevitably, literally every single time people start calling him a top prospect... and nevermind that there are literally dozens of Junior guys who scored more that same season. 80 or 100 points is really not a lot in the juniors.

On the other hand, the KHL is massively better than the Canadian Junior leagues. Only a tiny number of junior guys can play in the KHL. Only rare exceptions could be top-6 guys in the KHL. That Butcher can dominate in the KHL is huge. I bet if he played in the juniors, he'd have 125-130 points. Yeah, the KHL-Juniors gap is THAT big.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Guy looks amazing. Stickhandles and dazzles, great passer and "third" hockey sense, huge acceleration, brutal shot and has some decent size to boot. Plus that rare star quality aura. Dominating out there at times. At a mere 20 years of age in a very good mens league. Once he learns the defensive aspects of the NHL game, the smaller rink size and the more physical NA play - then look out!!!

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I honestly have near zero concern about his ability. My only worry is that he doesn't come over or he holds out to take the FA route.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I honestly have near zero concern about his ability. My only worry is that he doesn't come over or he holds out to take the FA route.

As a foreign player drafted by the Rangers, we hold his rights basically forever - there's no loophole like there is with NCAA players. Also, his first contract would be subject to the same rules as any other draftee on his first contract, with very few negotiable elements. In other words, your second worry is not a worry (at least not under the current CBA).

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
As a foreign player drafted by the Rangers, we hold his rights basically forever - there's no loophole like there is with NCAA players. Also, his first contract would be subject to the same rules as any other draftee on his first contract, with very few negotiable elements. In other words, your second worry is not a worry (at least not under the current CBA).

Oh wow I did not realize that. Good to know, thanks!

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Guy looks amazing. Stickhandles and dazzles, great passer and "third" hockey sense, huge acceleration, brutal shot and has some decent size to boot. Plus that rare star quality aura. Dominating out there at times. At a mere 20 years of age in a very good mens league. Once he learns the defensive aspects of the NHL game, the smaller rink size and the more physical NA play - then look out!!!

His defense has gotten a lot better. Lets not label him bad defensively just because he's Russian. It might've been true about a year ago, but now I think he's at least average defensively, maybe even better than that.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
His defense has gotten a lot better. Lets not label him bad defensively just because he's Russian. It might've been true about a year ago, but now I think he's at least average defensively, maybe even better than that.

You are probably right - I however did say "the NHL game" and that of course is an unknown so far. Time will tell but getting really excited here. Pretty sure we will see him on Broadway in 2016

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
legit talent.

when he comes here, we will have a true offensive guy who can take the play to the opponent and make then back up.

he should be a seamless addition to av's skating, puck pursuit, pressure style.

except, he can actually hit net.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If anyone was interested in how Kagarlitsky would do at the NHL level, take a look at how Plotnikov's doing with Pittsburgh.

Not every good KHL player is good enough to play in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad