The Out of Town Thread part LXIV - All Talk From Around the League Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
He's 34 years old so no chance i'd go with a 6 year deal. The most i'd go is 3 years and I would give him 4 per year. That's a pretty good offer at his age IMO.

It is, but he is probably already getting that from LA. On a 3 year deal he'd probably get 4.5-4.75 mil cap hit. Simply too much.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Is Hal Gill a great skater? I wouldn't call Chara a great one either, that's not what makes a great defender in front of his net.

Forget about Schultz, he's just an example. This past season there was no presence defending in front of the Habs net. The proof of that was the dramatic drop in pk efficiency. And there wasn't a big changeover in personnel, they even got Markov back.

It's not just about winning battles and moving the puck, it's about positioning and boxing out.

The Habs dmen as a group are below average defending in their own zone. How many goals went in while Price was screened?

If they don't start addressing this area, don't see them going very far anytime soon, in my opinion.

Neither Gill or Chara are great skaters, obviously, but both have solid hockey sense and know how to position themselves to mitigate their lousy skating. Schultz has poor hockey sense, and if he could defend his net Caps wouldn't be getting rid of him. If Cube plays bigger than his size, Schultz plays much much smaller than his size. This is one instance where size is not better.

I think everyone agrees that we need to be bigger on the back end, and get some nasty back there. Schultz isn't that.

I'm sure MB understands that as well.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Neither Gill or Chara are great skaters, obviously, but both have solid hockey sense and know how to position themselves to mitigate their lousy skating. Schultz has poor hockey sense, and if he could defend his net Caps wouldn't be getting rid of him. If Cube plays bigger than his size, Schultz plays much much smaller than his size. This is one instance where size is not better.

I think everyone agrees that we need to be bigger on the back end, and get some nasty back there. Schultz isn't that.

I'm sure MB understands that as well.
Go back and read what I said (hint: Forget Schultz).

Who is 'nasty' on the Hawks defence?

Dmen don't need to be nasty or jumbo, just able to win battles in the corners and in front of the net, move the puck and play sound positionally without the puck. And have enough speed/quickness to deal with the faster forwards.

The Habs have alot of 5/6 dmen types who don't meet that criteria well in my opinion, there is a great deal of room for improvement of personnel.

Where they will find these remains to be seen. They aren't drafting many lately, so again we'll see what they add if any this summer.

Status quo, I don't see them going far next season.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Bergeron at 6.5 for 8 years and Rask at 7 for 8 years. Good bye depth Boston.

Beautiful!

Just because they're paying Bergeron and Rask more money doesn't mean they won't be able to fill out the rest of their roster

Bruins draft well and make smart trades, they'll figure it out just like all successful teams do

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Just because they're paying Bergeron and Rask more money doesn't mean they won't be able to fill out the rest of their roster

Bruins draft well and make smart trades, they'll figure it out just like all successful teams do

and Lucic at 6 Mil, and Chara at close to 7, and Marchand close to 5, and Seguin at 5.75...

they may draft very well, thing is, they traded a bunch of early picks in the last few years...

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
They will have to shed some players and fill them with ELC's as soon as Rask is signed. They have about 4 million in cap space and no goalies and 2 positional players on top of that still to sign.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Forgot about Savard's cap hit coming off with injured reserve. It's still tight with that big contract though.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
The Toronto Maple Leafs have placed forward Mikhail Grabovski on unconditional waivers for the purpose of buying out his contract. Grabovski, 29, just finished playing out the first year of a five-year contract averaging $5.5 million a season.

i hope the habs do something similar concerning desharnais

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The Toronto Maple Leafs have placed forward Mikhail Grabovski on unconditional waivers for the purpose of buying out his contract. Grabovski, 29, just finished playing out the first year of a five-year contract averaging $5.5 million a season.

Good point on Twitter....:laugh:

https://twitter.com/HeyMyNameIsWill/status/352821256883679234

Greg Pateryn is still on the Habs while Grabovski is on waivers. JUST SAYING.

Yet, Grabovski was already serviceable in the NHL while we are waiting for Greg.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Yup because paying him 9+ mil of cap space for nothing is sooo much better than 3.5 mil/year to help the team win.

:facepalm:

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Grabovski didn't have a good year last year but I'd say the buyout is 90% related to his terrible contract and 10% related to his play on the ice.

The key take away is that they deleted their most talent two-way forward to overpay new guys in free agency.

I don't see Toronto as any threat to MTL next season. They had some potential could have been with Bolland upgrading their center line, but this kind of thinking and the guys who got hot coming back to earth is going to sink them.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The key take away is that they deleted their most talent two-way forward to overpay new guys in free agency.

I don't see Toronto as any threat to MTL next season. They had some potential could have been with Bolland upgrading their center line, but this kind of thinking and the guys who got hot coming back to earth is going to sink them.

If Bolland is their #2 it's a downgrade, he's a good #3 and a weak #2.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m Hearing that Claude Giroux and the Flyers are close to agreeing to an 8-yr deal worth north of $8 M a year...

Next guy traded or bought out?

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m Hearing that Claude Giroux and the Flyers are close to agreeing to an 8-yr deal worth north of $8 M a year...

Next guy traded or bought out?

I dunno but I'd be offering draft picks and prospects to take Simmonds from them. They're ****ed for cap space.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I remember when Philly was praised for their active management. Now they're made fun of for being a zoo.

The Bryzgalov deal would have been the absolute limit for me. I can't believe Holmgrem still runs the show.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m Huge trade in the works. Boston and Dallas close on a deal sending Tyler Seguin to Stars for Loui Eriksson. Other parts involved as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad