The Out of Town Thread part LXIV - All Talk From Around the League Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The Carolina Hurricanes don't expect to use their compliance buyout this summer.
Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford also said the team plans to let all of its pending unrestricted free agents reach the open market before deciding if he'll re-sign any of them. That means players like Joe Corvo, Marc-Andre Bergeron, Bobby Sanguinetti, Chad LaRose, Tim Brent and Dan Ellis will at least get the chance to test the open market.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The Boston Bruins won't use their compliance buyout this summer, a team source tells CSN New England's Joe Haggerty.
The Bruins came within 1:16 of forcing at least overtime in Monday's Game 6, if not a deciding Game 7 in the Stanley Cup final. A player like Chris Kelly and his $3 million cap hit could be a buyout candidate, but the Bruins have managed their cap well enough to survive the ceiling dropping to $64.3 million next season.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
General manager David Poile said Tuesday the Nashville Predators have yet to extend qualifying offers to Jonathon Blum and Matt Halischuk.
Blum and Halischuk are slated to be restricted free agents, but Poile says he's currently exploring trade options involving both players. Poile didn't rule out eventually tendering them, but it's clear he's keeping his options open after a disappointing 2013 season by the Preds.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 3m Flyers decide to buy out Bryzgalov. Wow http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=18660 …

Wow! Indeed! Never thought it could happen. :eatingcrow:

I'd say PHI owner is crazy. If you keep giving Holmgren cap space and covering for his mistakes, he'll keep pulling out bad moves!

Now what? They go after a cheap stopgap goalie? I mean, if they allow 5M for a goalie, they're back to square one.

Still don't see TB doing the same with Vinny, but what do I know?? :laugh:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Flyers have one of the worst and least patient management groups.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Then again, we have to wonder if Bryzgalov's contract was really a decision taken by Holmgren alone? Does Snider has a history of getting his nose into his GM's buisness?

I mean, I can you go to your boss asking for 23M to cover a mistake AND not getting fired?

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 3m Flyers decide to buy out Bryzgalov. Wow http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=18660 …

Made especially funny by the fact that Steve Mason is their starting goalie.

Flyers have become bad comedy.

Also, Giroux, Schenn, Couturier and Read are all up for big raises next summer, in particular Giroux will only have 1 RFA year left and Read a UFA. They can afford them because Timonen and Mesaros's contracts expire, but that also means they are looking at

Coburn-Grossman
Streit-Schenn

as their top 4 with minimal cap room to find new defensemen.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Made especially funny by the fact that Steve Mason is their starting goalie.

Flyers have become bad comedy.

Also, Giroux, Schenn, Couturier and Read are all up for big raises next summer, in particular Giroux will only have 1 RFA year left and Read a UFA. They can afford them because Timonen and Mesaros's contracts expire, but that also means they are looking at

Coburn-Grossman
Streit-Schenn

as their top 4 with minimal cap room to find new defensemen.

Yet the Flyers, over the passed 20 years have been better than us...

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
From the link:

The Flyers will pay Bryzgalov approximately $1.643 million per year for the next 14 years to not play for them.
That is some sweet pension; he'll be 47 when the last check comes in. Did anyone not call that an insane contract the moment the ink was dry? It boggles my mind that the Flyers can build such a strong team at every other position, and utterly fail at goaltender over and over and over. It's like they've been cursed ever since Pelle Lindbergh died.

And it's funny as hell :D

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
General manager David Poile said Tuesday the Nashville Predators have yet to extend qualifying offers to Jonathon Blum and Matt Halischuk.
Blum and Halischuk are slated to be restricted free agents, but Poile says he's currently exploring trade options involving both players. Poile didn't rule out eventually tendering them, but it's clear he's keeping his options open after a disappointing 2013 season by the Preds.

I haven't seen Blum in a long time... can he become a useful top 4 or 5 dman?

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Yet the Flyers, over the passed 20 years have been better than us...

So what?

Over the past 20 seasons, at what the Flyers organization has been good at, having consistently good team, they've been better than everyone but Detroit and New Jersey. They've been a really good franchise.

What does that have to do with how bad a situation they find themselves in right now?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Wow! Indeed! Never thought it could happen. :eatingcrow:

I'd say PHI owner is crazy. If you keep giving Holmgren cap space and covering for his mistakes, he'll keep pulling out bad moves!

Now what? They go after a cheap stopgap goalie? I mean, if they allow 5M for a goalie, they're back to square one.

Still don't see TB doing the same with Vinny, but what do I know?? :laugh:

I can still recall some fans calling Homgren some kind of genius GM and wish we had somebody like him. He was given a good core and some good picks but he keeps pissing money away Sather style, it's a miracle he is still employed.

I haven't seen Blum in a long time... can he become a useful top 4 or 5 dman?

He's still young enough that somebody will gamble but he'll probably go for a 3rd rounder at best. His offensive game has not really translated at the NHL level and defensively he isn't good.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 19s Ryane Clowe a le feu vert des médecins après avoir passé une batterie de test suite à sa dernière commotion cérébrale. #RDS

Remains to be seen how much it affects his value on the UFA market. Could we get him at a bargain rate...1 or 2 years at 3.5 mil/year?

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
So what?

Over the past 20 seasons, at what the Flyers organization has been good at, having consistently good team, they've been better than everyone but Detroit and New Jersey. They've been a really good franchise.

What does that have to do with how bad a situation they find themselves in right now?

It has to do with us criticizing their management, while we've had some of the worst front office moves of the recent memory.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
If they can get a pick for him we should get at least as much for Ryder...

The Detroit Red Wings are expected to trade Valtteri Filppula's rights if they can't sign him to a new contract, according to beat writer Ansar Khan.
The Red Wings and Filppula's camp are having difficulty coming to terms on an extension for the pending UFA. Filppula is believed to be looking for a contract in the range of $5 million per year, which Detroit is unlikely to pay. If they do trade him, it would likely be for a conditional draft pick dependent on the other team signing Filppula to a long-term deal before July 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad