The Out of Town Thread part LXIV - All Talk From Around the League Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Another thing.....pretty obvous that Eriksson is way more a winger than Seguin would ever be. And with Krejci and Bergeron, there's no room. Now, if Bergeron fell under a concussion....THEN they are screwed.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
According to sources around the team, Seguin was out late in Toronto during the road trip to play the Leafs in the first round of the playoffs and the team had to hold a sit-down with the immature forward about his commitment to the team. Seguin showed up each day at the Air Canada Centre wearing the same clothes for three straight days and played badly in Games 3 and 4 of the first round against Toronto.

That incident coupled with stories of Seguin’s late night partying during the regular season prompted Peter Chiarelli to say that “[Seguin] needs to become more of a professional” during a tirade at draft weekend. The Bruins attempted to deal Seguin to the Calgary Flames last weekend, but ultimately Flames ownership squashed any deals for the six-year, $5.75 million contract for Seguin while they go through a full rebuild with inexpensive, youthful players.

All of these questions about Seguin’s off-the-ice attitude and Boston’s tight cap situation prompted them to keep pursuing deals for the talented youngster, and there’s little doubt that Special Assistant to the GM Mark Recchi had prominent involvement in getting his former B’s teammate to Dallas.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/source-seguin-peverley-traded-stars

No surprise.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Seguin won't amount to much if he doesn't change his attitude...

I don't think he has an attitude problem. Just needs to mature, much like PK did, I heard he is a very good kid, just got a lot of money/fame quickly.

Heard 2 years for 8 mill on the radio right now. Not bad, not great. We'll see. If Briere finds his old ways again, then this is good. If he's injured, well LTIR, maybe. Not a long duration.

I don't know... I hated the guy for years, and now he's a Hab. At least it isn't a bad contract.

Unless his production increases DRAMATICALLY that would be a terrible contract. He put up 6-10-16 in 34 games last year with a ton of PP time. There HAS to be a better way to use 4 mil of cap space!!!

Don't forget about Soderberg who will play full time next season.

He looked invisible the games I saw. I know it was a small sample but older Euros are very hit and miss.

According to capgeek, in fact, when they sign Rask for 7M a year, they're down to 2M in cap space... Still have a #2 goalie to sign, as well as several depth players, unless they trust Smith - Kelly - Soderberg as their 3rd line...

They also would have Bergeron who's about to sign a monster deal in there.

They do have some room left, but with Rask and Bergeron signing huge extensions I doubt they will sign any big name UFA.

I generally agree with everything you say, but come on there for a second. Tyler Seguin still has tremendous potential. Peverley is still a guy who is good for a healthy 45-50 points. Add Jagr and Horton to that.

The Bruins of today are worst than the Bruins of this past season... It's not even close.

What made them special was their THREE balanced scoring lines. They now have two...

Yeah having big extensions and cap hits takes away a lot of their depth, that and Thomas played a big part in their cup run. Rask is good but scoring depth is now only average.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I like how our "problem partyer" got us Janne Niinimaa and Boston's gets them Loui Eriksson.

I mean, I know Ribeiro didn't exactly have Seguin's pedigree when he got traded, but still...just a reminder of how this team's asset management has been terrible for the last 10 or so years.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Boston gets his headcase gone, though extremely talented. Again, I bash the Habs for throwing out of the windows headcases, so if this is solely the reason, I believe Boston took the easy way out and that's bad. But then there's also the injury factor and also the fact that with Krejci and Bergeron, you don't play Seguin on a 3rd line. You use him and get a real winger....like Eriksson. Honestly, not bad of a deal.

Boston now is at 13 M$ at cap space with Savard not counting on the cap and Bergeron new contract will kick in next year....not this year.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I like how our "problem partyer" got us Janne Niinimaa and Boston's gets them Loui Eriksson.

I mean, I know Ribeiro didn't exactly have Seguin's pedigree when he got traded, but still...just a reminder of how this team's asset management has been terrible for the last 10 or so years.

Yes sir. Game, set and match. Pretty unfair to compare both as Chiarelli is probably top 3 in the business.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
How did the Bruins do it?

They traded their most talented player away. Not saying they can't win the deal, but they take on a lot more risk. Ericksson is getting up there in age, not old but a lot closer to a decline, Seguin is just entering his prime and has the potential to be a top 5 NHL scorer and a superstar. As much as Ericksson is a good player with a good contract and Boston got other assets, if Seguin turns into a superstar Boston will look dumb in 2-3 years.

I don't think Seguin's health is an issue.

Yeah but the idea is to get your team better. Yes, big risk, they trade a great potential player and get a very good player. The idea is that to not look extremely bad is to at least get something valuable in return of a potential great player and Eriksson will be there. And they get some depth with 3 potential NHL'ers-AHL'ers with success. And they get some cap. And if they believe in Bergeron and Krejci as their top 2 C, it was impossible to continue with Seguin on the 3rd and if he doesn't fit well on the wings, they had to find themselves a winger, which they did. Their biggest problem is if Krejci starts playing really badly. Or if Bergeron is lost due to another concussion. Then they are screwed. They took a big risk....but not without any return. Getting rid of Peverley's contract is big too. I mean, Dallas taking Peverley's contract should not have made Dallas with the obligation in giving 3 pretty good prospects in the process.

The greatest part is that we are not the only ones who will be watching what our ex-players will be doing. You can be sure that Boston out of town thread will be filled with Seguin's reports....

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Cask 'N Flagon ‏@TheCasknFlagon 56m
The Boston nightclub scene will be a better place without #tylerseguin demanding entry. #TradeSeguin

lol

EDIT:
http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-talk/source-seguin-peverley-traded-stars

According to sources around the team, Seguin was out late in Toronto during the road trip to play the Leafs in the first round of the playoffs and the team had to hold a sit-down with the immature forward about his commitment to the team. Seguin showed up each day at the Air Canada Centre wearing the same clothes for three straight days and played badly in Games 3 and 4 of the first round against Toronto.

That incident coupled with stories of Seguin’s late night partying during the regular season prompted Peter Chiarelli to say that “[Seguin] needs to become more of a professional” during a tirade at draft weekend. The Bruins attempted to deal Seguin to the Calgary Flames last weekend, but ultimately Flames ownership squashed any deals for the six-year, $5.75 million contract for Seguin while they go through a full rebuild with inexpensive, youthful players.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
They were even able to dump Peverley, unreal :shakehead

Peverley has a better contract than what Briere is rumored to be getting. Doubt he has negative value. Can be a solid #2 center at a solid cap hit. I'd gladly take him from Dallas and let Briere sign elswhere.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Can we talk about our buddy Grabo shooting from the hip? This is amazing:

"I'm [expletive] happy right now," he told TSN.ca exclusively early on Thursday evening, shortly after the Maple Leafs announced that they had exercised their second compliance buyout on the 29-year-old.

"Of course I feel [expletive] sad," he continued in a lengthy conversation, minutes later, "I played [expletive] five years here. I'm supposed to feel upset about that. I loved it [here]. Toronto fans are one of the best fans in the world."

"I play in the [expletive] Russian KHL, I make lots of [expletive] points and what's going to happen? He make me [expletive] play on the fourth line and he put me in the playoffs on the fourth line and third line again," Grabovski spewed. "Yeah, I don't score goals. I need to work more about that. I know that. But if you feel support from your coach [you'll find success]. I don't feel any support from this [expletive] idiot."

"Wilson [expletive] pushed me same hard as this," Grabovski said, months of frustration finally bubbling to the surface, "but don't be an [expletive] with me. If you don't like something tell [expletive] right away, don't put me on the bench, healthy scratch [me] or something. Don't put me on a [expletive] third line and then [expletive] play me six minutes in a game."

"I need to work harder," he concluded, taking time to thank his teammates, equipment managers and fans, "I need to be smarter, I need to play harder, need to play better and score a lot of goals and do what I do the best."

What a [expletive] champ.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Lots happening today: Habs sign Briere (I'm in wait-and-see mode on this one), Bruins make a big trade (I think Dallas eventually wins this one but I think the Bruins got a really good return), and Grabovsky rips Carlyle and thanks the Leafs for their nice "gift" (the buy-out money and then the opportunity to sign a new contract - ka-ching). lol

Analyzer*

...And Morrow and Smith and Fraser

Boston wins another deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->