OT: The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Titans have a win and in scenario for Week 17. Are you saying instead of playing for a playoff spot they would have been better served to tank?

Long term yes. Short term is no. That is the nature of pro sports. If you stand still you will get run over. You want a green and growing team, yet you want to "win now". You can't do both at the same time.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
The Titans aren't a bad team, and in the NFL tanking for a slightly higher pick isn't going to help them in their current position. Draft smart, making a couple of good signings and this team wins the division next year. Heck, if Succop wasn't hurt, they probably win the division this season.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Long term yes. Short term is no. That is the nature of pro sports. If you stand still you will get run over. You want a green and growing team, yet you want to "win now". You can't do both at the same time.
The Titans drafted Corey Davis last time they had a top 5 pick. Count me out for playing for draft picks every year. The last half of this season has actually been pretty exciting being in the playoff race. Can't imagine cheering for my team to lose so their draft pick improves.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Honestly the difference between the 22nd and 20th pick is minimal it is not like they have a chance to move up into the mid-teens with a loss. They got this far and should be solidly in the playoffs before now. I would rather they win and have another game to improve off of in the off-season.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Okay, so Gnash and TVP615 are in the "win now" column. As a Packers fan, I am in that column too. Rodgers only has so many seasons left.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
The Titans have a win and in scenario for Week 17. Are you saying instead of playing for a playoff spot they would have been better served to tank?

If you assume that there is no chance the Titans will win a playoff game, then yes, I think it would have been better to have gone 4-12 and had a top 5 pick. Now the Titans are welcome to make me eat my words and win a round or two.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I’m tired of saying we’d be better off for the Titans to go 4-12 or whatever. Feel like I’ve been saying that for a decade now. This must be what it’s like to be an Edmonton or Toronto fan.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
If you assume that there is no chance the Titans will win a playoff game, then yes, I think it would have been better to have gone 4-12 and had a top 5 pick. Now the Titans are welcome to make me eat my words and win a round or two.
I dont believe one bit that the titans would have no chance in the playoffs. They're certainly capable of beating the Chiefs, their likely opponent. It's at worst a 60-40 matchup for KC.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Okay, so Gnash and TVP615 are in the "win now" column. As a Packers fan, I am in that column too. Rodgers only has so many seasons left.
I am in the “they got this far so go for it” column.
The thin line of some close wins (LA, KC) and losses (Indy, Buff) is the difference between a top 15 pick and a 1st round bye in the playoffs.
Add to that here are the last top 10 picks for them this decade
Adam Jones #6 in 2005
Vince Young #3 in 2006
Jake Locker #8 in 2011
Chance Warmack #10 in 2013
Marcus Mariota #2 in 2015
Jack Conklin #8 in 2016
Corey Davis #5 in 2017
Not exactly top level drafting with top picks. 3 of them are still on the team and none of them are the top player at their positions.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
So thanks to the previously hapless Dolphins, if they make the playoffs the Titans will play the Patriots.

If they could somehow knock off Brady in the playoffs that would be well worth having a worse draft position

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
So thanks to the previously hapless Dolphins, if they make the playoffs the Titans will play the Patriots.

Would much rather that instead of a KC rematch. Pats have sucked pretty badly of late (relative to early season dominance, primarily fueled by defense).

Reactions: adsfan

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

If they could somehow knock off Brady in the playoffs that would be well worth having a worse draft position

Somebody is going to beat the Pats. Why not the Titans?

Reactions: Gnashville

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
I am really enjoying the titans the last 10 games. They are a very dangerous team with henry, an actual accurate qb off of play action, and dangerous receivers. As long as they don’t have to play from way behind this is a very dangerous offense.

Reactions: LCPreds and preds1

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Playoffs are obviously most important consideration right now but can’t help but think about what they are going to do with their two toughest offseason decisions. Plus the draft.

Tannehill
Henry

Tannehill is arguably the simplest of the two. Move Mariota’s 21m over to Tannehill plus maybe a bit more and should be ok from a cap perspective. I think this guy has finally been put into a position to succeed and am not concerned by the sample size narrative.

Henry is the biggest trouble point for me. I can’t think of too many running backs in recent memory where signing long term on a big contract turned out well for the team. Franchise tag is an option I guess but then he might hold out.

Draft. If we really believe the o skill positions are good to go then I guess it’s time for a ‘boring’ draft. O line and defense? Project qb? I haven’t looked at free agency expectations so not sure who might be avail to fill those voids which would help steer the draft.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
They’re in a spot where they can take the best available player. Sure they have some needs but IMO no glaring holes.

CB and OL are probably the top priorities depending how FA shakes out.
You absolutely have to resign Henry to a 3-4 year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad