The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
eh maybe in the coming years. 81 home games is a lot. we could probably draw better than a few teams but that isn't saying much. i think vegas gets a team if they do expansion with Nashville as the next in line if the area continues to grow. and it will.
I don’t think Vegas is above Nashville at all Charlotte NC, and Montréal but not LV.
I remember that the late Nick Hunter once said that Nashville was considered a perfect location for an American League team by most MLB higher ups. The AL does not have a presence in the south outside of Tampa and the AL wants another “Southern” franchise. Now that was at least decade ago and things change but I definitely remember him saying that.

I think the Sounds ballpark is certainly expandable to about 35,000 to 40,000 and baseball would be huge in Nashville.

Attendance is an issue across all pro sports, the Titans attendance and the NFL as a whole is not the best. ESPN doesn’t focus on NBA or NFL attendance because they don’t want to hurt the cash cow for them.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
vegas is the hot ticket for sports teams is why i go with them. knights, raiders moving there. charlotte may be a good market too.

but as it was stated, im not sure why baseball would consider expansion right now other than for the wrong reasons. expansion fees.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Agreed. I think if anything they would close 5th, 6th and Demonbreun surrounding the current arena footprint and build up and out to expand. That site is mutually beneficial to the city and the arena.

Wouldn't that restrict access to the Ryman Auditorium or those taverns on the corner? (Legends and Tootsies)

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Wouldn't that restrict access to the Ryman Auditorium or those taverns on the corner? (Legends and Tootsies)
No, I'm not talking about the area facing Broadway, though it could be bumped out some. I'm talking about converting the streets surrounding the arena (except Broadway) to sidewalks/pedestrian only areas and extend those sides of the present building to what is presently 5th, 6th and Demonbreun. Ryman, Legends, Tootsies would see no change and Rippy's/Hilton/Park would be unaffected except they wouldn't have drive by traffic on 5th anymore. I can't remember exactly how that road that divides MCC from Omni comes out onto Demonbreun, so that might present a challenge for the SoBro/Nissan side.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don’t think Vegas is above Nashville at all Charlotte NC, and Montréal but not LV.
I remember that the late Nick Hunter once said that Nashville was considered a perfect location for an American League team by most MLB higher ups. The AL does not have a presence in the south outside of Tampa and the AL wants another “Southern” franchise. Now that was at least decade ago and things change but I definitely remember him saying that.

I think the Sounds ballpark is certainly expandable to about 35,000 to 40,000 and baseball would be huge in Nashville.

Attendance is an issue across all pro sports, the Titans attendance and the NFL as a whole is not the best. ESPN doesn’t focus on NBA or NFL attendance because they don’t want to hurt the cash cow for them.
Thing is Titans attendance is down because they stunk and did so for a while. It will come back as long as the product gets better. There is just too much to do in this area to blow your dollars year after after on a poorly run franchise.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Thing is Titans attendance is down because they stunk and did so for a while. It will come back as long as the product gets better. There is just too much to do in this area to blow your dollars year after after on a poorly run franchise.
I was using the Titans as an example, a lot of NFL games are played to empty seats. Even traditional places like Cleveland, Chicago etc. NFL is better on TV than in person. The food and beer is cheaper, no lines for the bathroom, no freezing weather.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I was using the Titans as an example, a lot of NFL games are played to empty seats. Even traditional places like Cleveland, Chicago etc. NFL is better on TV than in person. The food and beer is cheaper, no lines for the bathroom, no freezing weather.
You are once again naming some poorly run franchises over the last several years. Historically speaking, neither Cleveland nor Chicago have had issues putting butts in seats. Tv plays a part, but it has far more to do with the product on the field. Very rarely do well run franchises have problems selling tickets. People can handle down years, but when it looks like management doesn't have a clue what it's doing, people are going to spend dollars somewhere else.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
You are once again naming some poorly run franchises over the last several years. Historically speaking, neither Cleveland nor Chicago have had issues putting butts in seats. Tv plays a part, but it has far more to do with the product on the field. Very rarely do well run franchises have problems selling tickets. People can handle down years, but when it looks like management doesn't have a clue what it's doing, people are going to spend dollars somewhere else.
My point is it’s the same in all pro sports the poorly run franchises are not getting the fans. Baseball is no different as teams like the Cubs, Cards, Red Sox are doing fabulous.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
My point is it’s the same in all pro sports the poorly run franchises are not getting the fans. Baseball is no different as teams like the Cubs, Cards, Red Sox are doing fabulous.
And they shouldn't. I'll be honest, nothing really ticks me off to see a owner that is doing nothing but bringing the money in while being cheap and giving the fans a subpar product. I get even more ticked when fans just keep feeding that mess because they should be " good fans ". You can put pressure on an owner to make a coaching change, but the only way you get the owner in line is to hurt that wallet.

Keep in mind I'm separating that from, he we just had a decade run as a top team and now we gotta reload and get going again. In that situation you absolutely should continue supporting your team and the owner, because for every franchise that situation is going to happen.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
And there in lies another problem. It's now several years later, these guys have been found not guilty, but I'm guessing they won't have the ability to resume their football careers or free education.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Looking at the Titans schedule it’s weird they don’t play outside of the Central or Eastern time zones but once vs LA in London. I don’t see more than 5 or 6 wins this year. They play both the AFC and NFC East which will mean they get Philadelphia, New England, etc.. not good for this team. Since they host the draft I guess it would be nice to pick in the top 5 again.
Fortunately Hockey season starts in Oct and no one will care about the Titans by Thanksgiving.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Looking at the Titans schedule it’s weird they don’t play outside of the Central or Eastern time zones but once vs LA in London. I don’t see more than 5 or 6 wins this year. They play both the AFC and NFC East which will mean they get Philadelphia, New England, etc.. not good for this team. Since they host the draft I guess it would be nice to pick in the top 5 again.
Fortunately Hockey season starts in Oct and no one will care about the Titans by Thanksgiving.
In this case, "etc" means Buffalo who sucks, the Jets who suck, the Dolphins who are average at best, the Giants who suck, and the Cowboys and Redskins who are okay. Not a juggernaut group of teams.

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
In this case, "etc" means Buffalo who sucks, the Jets who suck, the Dolphins who are average at best, the Giants who suck, and the Cowboys and Redskins who are okay. Not a juggernaut group of teams.
Buffalo was a playoff team last year
Jets have Sam Darnold now
Dolphins always beat the Titans
Cowboys will improve with Elliot back
Giants suck
Redskins are Ok
The AFC south will be loaded this season with Luck and Watson returning.
Chargers and Ravens own the Titans
New England and Philadelphia are blowout losses waiting to happen.

I will change my avatar to a Mariota one for a whole year if they win at least 8 meaningful games this season (I am not counting wins vs playoff teams resting players so if they are 6-8 and beat 2 JV rostered teams I won’t count those as legitimate “wins”) and Mariota has 10 more TD passes than Int’s (and pick 6’s don’t count as TD passes)

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Giants suck
Redskins are Ok

I will change my avatar to a Mariota one for a whole year if they win at least 8 meaningful games this season (I am not counting wins vs playoff teams resting players so if they are 6-8 and beat 2 JV rostered teams I won’t count those as legitimate “wins”) and Mariota has 10 more TD passes than Int’s (and pick 6’s don’t count as TD passes)

As a Patriots fan I will comment on some of those teams:
Buffalo: Surprisingly tough, Paper tiger but not bad. Average at best.
Jets have improved with their new coach. They are gone from Buttfumble pathetic to below average.
Cowboys
Giants
Redskins
New England, depending on when you play them. Same with Philly. If late in the season you could get cheap wins.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Part of my opinion on the Bills is that their QBs are Josh Allen and AJ McCarron. Excuse me while I go sh*t myself out of fear. IMO, if you're going to think a team will suck because of Mariota, there's absolutely no reason to be afraid of Josh Allen.

Reactions: PredsV82

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Part of my opinion on the Bills is that their QBs are Josh Allen and AJ McCarron. Excuse me while I go sh*t myself out of fear. IMO, if you're going to think a team will suck because of Mariota, there's absolutely no reason to be afraid of Josh Allen.

I think the Bills needs to pick a QB, be patient, and develop.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Giants suck
Redskins are Ok

Quoted for your future avatar purposes. Mainly because if this happens I assume you won't care because you'll be so in on the bandwagon that you'll actually forget you're on a bandwagon.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

Quoted for your future avatar purposes. Mainly because if this happens I assume you won't care because you'll be so in on the bandwagon that you'll actually forget you're on a bandwagon.
Teams won't win 8 "meaningful" games under those conditions. 12 teams make the playoffs so by sheer numbers alone you won't have the opportunity to play a ton of games against said teams. They played 4 games against playoff teams last year lol. If playoff teams aren't the definition of meaningful wins I don't know what is. Even if it's within AFC teams you've gotta be like 8-3 or 8-4 which is really tough and most teams won't do that unless they're elite. The Super Bowl champions went 9-2 against NFC teams. That's a lot to ask for.

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I am not a bandwagon guy I actually want the team to win, but I don’t see 8 wins with that schedule they only had 9 last year with the easiest schedule in the league. Titans last 3 games are vs Giants, Redskins, and Colts BTW so the Colts would be in a playoff spot and resting players IMO.

Last edited:

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Buffalo was a playoff team
Jets have

I am not a bandwagon guy I actually want the team to win, but I don’t see 8 wins with that schedule they only had 9 last year with the easiest schedule in the league. Titans last 3 games are vs Giants, Redskins, and Colts BTW so the Colts would be in a playoff spot and resting players IMO.
Teams at 60-1 odds to win a championship aren't typically in a position to rest players because they're killing everyone. But then again the Bills, Dolphins and and Jets are 80-1 so maybe it'll be tough

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Buffalo was a playoff team
Jets have

Colts are likely not in the playoffs, they have one of the worst rosters in football.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
In a 16 game season where only 12/32 make the playoffs, every single game is meaningful.

Now, I really don't have a good read on the Titans yet for this year with the coaching change, they might end up being a better team than last season but have worse results if that makes sense. Like they overachieved last season so now they need to take one step back to take two steps forward.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
In a 16 game season where only 12/32 make the playoffs, every single game is meaningful.

Now, I really don't have a good read on the Titans yet for this year with the coaching change, they might end up being a better team than last season but have worse results if that makes sense. Like they overachieved last season so now they need to take one step back to take two steps forward.

People (Titans' fans) forget that the Titans have been absolutely lucky af with regard to injuries the last couple of years, that is bound to rear its ugly head one of these seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad