The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I hope the guy is a stud, a decent human and great in th community. But I don't love the pick, I think they easily could have grabbed a great player there without the risk or the history (regardless of how you view it).

Robinson better knock it out of the park today

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Save this post. Simmons will end up being one of the top 3 players in this draft.
This isn’t the NHL draft teams don’t waste 1st round picks on guys 3 years down the road. They have to pay him top dollar for an entire season without him playing. His rookie year he’ll be paid 5-7 million dollars to rehab, fetch water, and hold helmets on the sidelines and at practice. After making that money why would he even worry about getting better? Plus that is a large chunk of the salary cap to one player for nothing.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
This isn’t the NHL draft teams don’t waste 1st round picks on guys 3 years down the road. They have to pay him top dollar for an entire season without him playing. His rookie year he’ll be paid 5-7 million dollars to rehab, fetch water, and hold helmets on the sidelines and at practice. After making that money why would he even worry about getting better? Plus that is a large chunk of the salary cap to one player for nothing.

But it won't be top dollar. If it's true that he would have been a top 5 pick without the injury, and you draft him in the late teens, then you're paying late teens money not top 5 money.

Salary cap is not going to be a problem for the Titans this season.

Reactions: triggrman

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Didn't we draft an injured player last season too? By the end of the season he looked really good.

Reactions: LCPreds

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
The Titans aren't even close to having to worry about cap space. They'd kill to have some players worth paying.

Reactions: LCPreds

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

He's not 3 years down the road. He's as soon as he recovers from the ACL down the road. ACL injuries aren't what they were 5 years ago. There is a legit chance he could be good to go in the 2nd half of the season.

Jeffrey has an incredible work ethic and there will not be any "well I've made it so I'm going to coast now".

Also, his slot value is 12.7 million with 7.5 guaranteed. That is a drop in the bucket of the salary cap.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
the history (regardless of how you view it).

Nothing to be concerned about. What he did was awful and inexcusable, but ask anyone that has been around him for the past 3 years and you would understand why it's a non-issue.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Nothing to be concerned about. What he did was awful and inexcusable, but ask anyone that has been around him for the past 3 years and you would understand why it's a non-issue.
Actually given his age and what happened it’s a non issue in my mind no kid is going to watch his sister and mom get beat up. He tried to play peace maker and the woman attacked him. He just lost it and forgot how big and strong he was. I am not sure that I would not have done the same thing as a kid. My mom worked in tobacco fields all her life so she could handle herself anyway. Certainly you should not hit a female but in a heated situation survival instincts take over. I am not excusing it but understand what happened.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I've seen the Titans at #1 on several people's list of best drafts. They got really good value especially in the first 3 picks.
I have seen everywhere from “A” to “D”
JRob swung for the fences in this one and only time will tell if it’s caught on the warning track or some fans treasured souvenir.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Didn't we draft an injured player last season too? By the end of the season he looked really good.
Corey Davis was also injured when he was drafted and has never become anything but a borderline bust.
Lewan = Complete meathead with dumb penalties
Mariota = Always injured and not good
Conklin = injured last year
Davis = Always injured and not good
Jackson = healthy really good player
Evans = ???
Simmons = ???
That’s every 1st round pick on the roster

I've seen the Titans at #1 on several people's list of best drafts. They got really good value especially in the first 3 picks.
I have seen everywhere from “A” to “D”
JRob swung for the fences in this one and only time will tell if it’s caught on the warning track or some fans treasured souvenir.

Last edited:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Who had a D?

Great in depth analysis here and firmly has the Titans on top.

Using the Consensus Big Board to determine how teams did in...
Some guy named Vinnie Iyer, from the Sporting News

Draft Grades for the Titans: Lots of A's, but One D
Vinnie Iyer, Sporting News
(29th rank)
Grade: D
Whom they drafted: DT Jeffery Simmons, WR A.J. Brown, G Nate Davis, S Amani Hooker, OLB D'Andre Walker, ILB David Long
The Titans drafted a little too much for 2020 with Simmons and Walker, and Davis was a bit of a reach. Being able to get Brown in the second round gave the usually wise-drafting Jon Robinson some redemption.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Looks like baseball fans are finally voting with their feet. Attendance is dropping like a rock.

They are the only remaining major sport without a hard salary cap. Hopefully the little guys will all stick together and insist on one with the next CBA.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Looks like baseball fans are finally voting with their feet. Attendance is dropping like a rock.

They are the only remaining major sport without a hard salary cap. Hopefully the little guys will all stick together and insist on one with the next CBA.

That would potentially help but they also need to find a way to pick up to the pace. I used to watch in the 90s, maybe into the early 00s, but haven't consistently paid attention in almost 20 years. I somehow find golf more exciting than baseball and the only thing that keeps me somewhat interested there is Tiger. And napping.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

It’s not the cap but the MoneyBall saber metrics. Pitch counts are ruining the sport, look at the WS last year. The Dodgers pulled pitchers with shutouts just because some guy with a calculator said so. Stolen bases, sacrifices, complete games, hit and run have been replaced with walks, swinging for HR’s (which resort in a lot of K’s), pitch counts, defensive shifts. The game has become boring and unwatchable.

Reactions: PredsV82
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad