OT: The Other Sports Thread Part X - MLB back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I'm so jealous of the pick. I wish NYG picked him at #4, but they didn't have the balls to go for someone like that.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Will be interesting to see who goes WR first with 5-6 potential 1st round talents available at the position.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Not so crazy about my team's pick TBH :facepalm: . The whole narrative this season was that Davante Adams was the only target on the whole offense, Bulaga leaves , Martinez leaves,etc. Lots of holes that could have been partially filled.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Very happy the Jets went O line. A lot of fans wanted them to take a receiver, but if Darnold doesn't have time to throw, you could have Jerry Rice out there and it wouldn't make a difference. Besides, it's a very receiver heavy draft. I expect them to take at least one in the next couple of rounds.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
CFL asked for 150M in federal money to keep them afloat.

Yay or nay?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I liked the Eagles with Jaworski. Then switched to the 49ers, but still had (have) some love for the Eagles.

I caught the tail end of Jaws career as i was too young. Was a big fan during the Buddy Ryan years but overall I was never a huge football fan. I played one year in Highschool as a Freshman but it was only to get ready for hockey as I was 14 and would be playing against 18 year olds and in a checking league for the 1st time. So I thought I would get hit so much in football that I wouldn't care about it by the time hockey started.

Will always been an eagles fan unless they fold the team and then I would never watch the NFL again.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
CFL asked for 150M in federal money to keep them afloat.

Yay or nay?
Nay... 150m$ Is way too much money, there 9 teams and the don’t even spend 6M$ in salary... player make like 50k$ (I thing just when up but still) and contract aren’t even garanties + they haven’t lose the season yet ( have they even lost 1 game?) why the F would they need that much money right now and there millions of thing that would way more important I wouldn’t give 1$ to a sport league.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not so crazy about my team's pick TBH :facepalm: . The whole narrative this season was that Davante Adams was the only target on the whole offense, Bulaga leaves , Martinez leaves,etc. Lots of holes that could have been partially filled.

Dude I'm still furious with this whole Packers class. Inexcusable.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Dude I'm still furious with this whole Packers class. Inexcusable.
Last offseason was so good with the Smith brothers coming in, Amos, Savage, Gary,etc. Just a complete upgrade on defense, which ended up paying big dividends. This year it's been cheap downgrades for the departing Martinez and Bulaga ( Kirksey and Wagner) , plus hoping Devin freaking Funchess can somehow become a number 2 wide receiver . Plus, you know, pissing off your star quarterback for no reason :facepalm:

Reactions: WeThreeKings

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Jordan Love is a gift that just keeps on giving on sports talk radio. :laugh:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
so baseball starved I watched a little of the KBO season opener, should have caught last nights game as a few former Phillies were playing that I have followed back through their minor league days as I watch more minor league then major league usually. I often get the Milb.tv package but guess I won't be getting it this year since it doesn't sound too good for the minor leagues.

Lots of rumors picking up steam on the MLB season looking to start up some time next month.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
so baseball starved I watched a little of the KBO season opener, should have caught last nights game as a few former Phillies were playing that I have followed back through their minor league days as I watch more minor league then major league usually. I often get the Milb.tv package but guess I won't be getting it this year since it doesn't sound too good for the minor leagues.

Lots of rumors picking up steam on the MLB season looking to start up some time next month.
I've resorted to choosing a game in my franchise of MLB The Show and letting the AI control both teams on occasion. It's surprisingly entertaining.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I'm hooked to the defi Mini-putt on rds. Great show, some of these guys are really skilled on miniature golf, lol.
Commentor Serge Vleminkx is making this amazing to watch. Bring that guy to curling and it becomes an interresting sport to watch. He's the best commentator in the world for shouting Birdie !!!

Dsquared

Apr 15, 2015
Hitting top 5 or 10 picks is huge. Ask the two teams that passed on Michael Jordan.

I'm sure Houston were ok with Olajuwon. He led them to 2 Championship, Was hitting 22 pts per game every season for his first 13, he retired 7th in all time scoring, he's still untouched for Blocks, 9th for steals and 13th for Rebound.

Sure Jordan beat him in Scoring and Championships, but that would be like saying, hitting top 5 pick is hard, ask the team that passed on Evgeni Malkin.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm sure Houston were ok with Olajuwon. He led them to 2 Championship, Was hitting 22 pts per game every season for his first 13, he retired 7th in all time scoring, he's still untouched for Blocks, 9th for steals and 13th for Rebound.

Sure Jordan beat him in Scoring and Championships, but that would be like saying, hitting top 5 pick is hard, ask the team that passed on Evgeni Malkin.

Only 2 years Olajuwon won were the 2 years Jordan was briefly retired after his father was murdered...

But, yes Jordan not withstanding Olajuwon was a great pick. But if they had picked Sam Bowie instead of Olajuwon, as Portand picked Bowie ahead of Jordan, they wouldn't have won those two championships when Jordan was out. Hence the paramount importance of bot only getting lottery picks/top 5 picks, but picking well when you do.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Hitting top 5 or 10 picks is huge. Ask the two teams that passed on Michael Jordan.

We'll see what becomes of Galchenyuk, Sergachev, and Kotkaniemi, when many good players were available.

That's the place where the most superstars/franchise players are drafted league wide. But your team has to draft them.

After Tavares, the Islanders took Niedereitter, Strome, Griffin Reinhart, and Dal Colle with the top 5 picks they had in 4 of the next five years. And the other year in that 5 year period, they drafted a bust at 15th overall. Is it any wonder Tavares left and the Islanders were constantly out of the playoffs under Snow.

Nobody, not a single scout, not even the Bulls scout, was gonna pick Jordan over Olajuwon, not at that time, not with the prevailing zeitgeist of massive towering centers and power forwards.

As for Portland at 2, they already had Drexler. Having 10 player rosters, basketball teams often go for need at the draft.

Point is, even if the Rockets had the best scout in the league, he still would've picked Olajuwon over Jordan because of the mentality at that time.

BTW, Olajuwon was 2 times finals MVP with the Rocket in MJ's two years hiatus. He was probably the 2nd best player in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00