OT: The Other Sports Thread Part X - MLB back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Nobody, not a single scout, not even the Bulls scout, was gonna pick Jordan over Olajuwon, not at that time, not with the prevailing zeitgeist of massive towering centers and power forwards.

As for Portland at 2, they already had Drexler. Having 10 player rosters, basketball teams often go for need at the draft.

Point is, even if the Rockets had the best scout in the league, he still would've picked Olajuwon over Jordan because of the mentality at that time.

BTW, Olajuwon was 2 times finals MVP with the Rocket in MJ's two years hiatus. He was probably the 2nd best player in the league.

Ok to your point about Olajuwon. But what about Bowie? That's the prime example of how hitting/missing a top 5 pick can change your franchise. Does Portland move if they draft Jordan instead of Bowie?

This is why you ALWAYS draft for talent and not need. Many NBA teams know this and trade one of their assets for a position of need if they've drafted an abundance at once position. The sixers for example, kept drafting big men, and trading the lesser ones, until they got a superstar in Embiid. They also kept drafting point guards until they got Simmonds, trading Holiday and Carter Williams along the way. It's true these are no Drexlers.

But you see in the Last Dance that Krause traded up to draft Pippen top 5, a similar size/type player to Jordan at the time, even though many thought he was nuts for doing so, given they already had Jordan, and as you said it was a big man's league.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Will the NFL play in empty stadiums when their season gets underway?
NFL doesn't rely on gate revenues nearly as much as other major North American leagues. From what I read some time last year only 8% of teams' profit margins was generated by ticket sales and somewhere around 3% more in concessions (the latter figure is speculative).

The league will still be healthy even without any fans in the stands. Between massive TV deals, sponsorship, merchandising, licensing and revenue sharing each team will be extremely profitable still.

The NFL generated somewhere around 17B in total revenue last season.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
At least the NHL and NHLPA doesn’t have to discuss contracts and pay. MLB and their players are far apart. Wondering they actually get a deal done. MLB’s proposal below for cutting salaries.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Probably the best voice to replace Bob Cole for HNIC.
That's exactly what's going to happen seemingly. Listen to a recent Tim & Sid podcast (for Friday, June 5th). They had Cuthbert on it.

Cuthbert said that during this pandemic break he did the math and figured out that since Rogers has another 6 years left with national NHL rights and he (Cuthbert) is 62 years old, this might be his last opportunity to call HNIC games.

His biggest regret is leaving the CFL broadcasts, but 25 Grey Cups later he felt he could step away from calling games.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
IndyCar race yesterday (on oval), the first single-seater race of the season... Immediately followed by a month-long break :|

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I don’t watch a lot of baseball anymore (use to in the past). But are they even going to play this year. It seems like they are going to miss a big opportunity by not playing in July.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
the shit is getting really ugly for baseball. First all the sign stealing stuff, which came after the few teams got caught tampering and it was said they were/are looking at several other teams. Then you have massive minor league contraction likely to happen and all of that becomes an after thought to just how ugly things appear to be getting between the players and owners. It sounds like the owners are really f***ing this up as '21 there CBA is up and I would bet the players won't forget this and we could be looking at another strike.

I love baseball but with the covid after really missing it at first I haven't missed it at all lately. Sounds like they will play a shorten season but the players aren't happy about it. That's not a good way to go about it imo since the fans are there to see the players (though some of the contracts are f***ing insane, 330M for Haper, f*** you and I'm a phillies fan)

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
the shit is getting really ugly for baseball. First all the sign stealing stuff, which came after the few teams got caught tampering and it was said they were/are looking at several other teams. Then you have massive minor league contraction likely to happen and all of that becomes an after thought to just how ugly things appear to be getting between the players and owners. It sounds like the owners are really f***ing this up as '21 there CBA is up and I would bet the players won't forget this and we could be looking at another strike.

I love baseball but with the covid after really missing it at first I haven't missed it at all lately. Sounds like they will play a shorten season but the players aren't happy about it. That's not a good way to go about it imo since the fans are there to see the players (though some of the contracts are f***ing insane, 330M for Haper, f*** you and I'm a phillies fan)

Or Trout’s 426 million dollar deal. I’ve never understood Baseball salaries :laugh:

Even going back to guys like A-Rod or Albert Pujols.

Reactions: montreal

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Is Rob Manfred the worst commissioner in sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia