OT: The Other Sports Thread Part X - MLB back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The MLB definitely has a lot on it's plate in the next 2 years, not the least of which being improving the game itself . Even as a lifelong fan I've been having a much harder time enjoying watching the product in the past few years with the snail pace one pitch a minute innings and the league reaching a point where there were more strikeouts and homers than freaking HITS in a season. Hard decisions will have to be made at some point and I don't know if the people in charge have what it takes to make them.

Reactions: the

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Or Trout’s 426 million dollar deal. I’ve never understood Baseball salaries :laugh:

Even going back to guys like A-Rod or Albert Pujols.
432M over 12 years is a sweetheart deal for the Angels though. Trout has been by far the best player in the league since his second year. You could make a case for him to win AL MVP every single year from 2012 onward.

+71.6 WAR by age of 28. Yup, that's the highest ever in MLB's history for a position player.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
after things were looking so bleak now it looks like MLB will start up in about a month. Still think the owners made a big mistake pissing off the players the year before the cba is up, plus they could have been playing by now (although with the cases increasing in Flo, Tex, etc.. might be good they waited) But how bad would MLB look if the Independent league is playing next month with fans and the the MLB is fighting over this that or whatever.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Paralympics gold medalist and racing great Alex Zanardi seriously injured in handbike crash in Rome - TSN.ca
That man has gone through so much in his life, it's insane. I saw the accident where he lost his legs live, I still remember it quite well. I really hope he gets back from this one as well .
I will never forget that crash, one of the most horrifying that I've seen, crazy that Zanardi survived. Many of us saw it live as Tagliani, un "ti-gars de chez nous" (local) in a decent team, was directly implied. I loved the CART series and was a big fan of Team Player's (Forsythe) with Villeneuve, Moore, Carpentier, and Tagliani over the years.

Greg Moore, from New Westminster BC, lost his life in another sadly memorable crash, during the last race of the season on Halloween '99 at Fontana, California. With the different timezone that means it happened right before kids started their trick-or-treat run here in MTL. Was supposed to be his last race with Team Player's before switching to Team Penske, a team that was on the rise and went on to win championships the following years.

Back to Zanardi, he is in a stable condition but still in induced coma. Much respect for the guy, he overcame so many challenges in his life. Two stints in F1 (not very successful though) with two CART Series championships in between. Lost his legs, came back to racing before switching sports and winning 4 gold medals in Paralympic games (para-cycling) and many, many more in World Championships. Definitely a legend and should have its picture next to the word resilience in dictionaries.

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
GP Canada rumored to be on schedule for October 11th:

Le Grand Prix du Canada aurait lieu le 11 octobre
Great throwback to the first Canadian Grand Prix at Circuit Île Notre-Dame which was held on October 8th 1978 and won by Gilles Villeneuve. (From 1968 to 1981, the Canadian GP was held late September/early October in Mosport/Mont-Tremblant/Montreal) Some tidbits from a wiki page:
Background
The season finale for the 1978 World Championship tour would be staged at a new venue, the Circuit Île Notre-Dame. Indeed, taking over from Mosport Park as host of the Canadian Grand Prix, the Circuit Île Notre-Dame in Montreal, Quebec was an entirely new circuit carved from the access roads around an artificial island in the St. Lawrence River. Indeed, the circuit was so new that it had only been "regulated" two weeks prior to F1's arrival, with a Formula Atlantic race staged as a test event.
Friday Qualifying
Unfortunately both of Friday's sessions would be held in between deluges of rain, meaning no representative times, or indeed running, could be completed.
Saturday Qualifying
Saturday morning's conditions were a slight improvement, for while the water had drained from the circuit, a bitter northerly wind dragged temperatures towards freezing, with a threat of snow to boot.
Race
Conditions were, thankfully, more akin to Saturday rather than [Friday] on race morning, although the temperature remained bitterly cold. Indeed, the temperature would just peak at 5°C as the field started the parade lap, heralded by Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau. Regardless, all 22 qualifiers would take the start, with the medical car once again lining up behind the field.
1978 Canadian Grand Prix

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
starting to think it wouldn't get done and you still have to see how many players/staff get sick but MLB since there's no minor leagues could let teams have a huge roster especially among the arms. As a phillies fan I really am hoping to see their top prospect Spencer Howard make the rotation, dudes got sick stuff.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
The MLB has f***ed this up so royally, I'm not even sure I'll watch a single game of theirs this year.

Let's see if they can even get this thing off the ground.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
If Newton is truly healthy this could be the perfect situation for him. He must be thrilled to get the chance to play for BB.
I don't see it as a fit personally, but, that said, BB has the ability to re-shape offences to fit the QB. Time will tell I suppose.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldCraig71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: