OT: The Other Sports Thread Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I can't remember the last time I watched a full mlb game in the last couple decades, other than the time I went to a playoff game at Yankee stadium.

But when I did used to watch the product a little bit more, it was the playoffs that reeled me in. I'm open to all series being best of 7, but more than that, the 160 plus game season is just creating more boredom out of an already very slow sport.
They'll be bringing in the pitch clock next year. Not sure of the time allotted, something like 25 seconds. The batters also will be timed. Go over and it's a strike or ball. Should make it a bit more interesting.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
They'll be bringing in the pitch clock next year. Not sure of the time allotted, something like 25 seconds. The batters also will be timed. Go over and it's a strike or ball. Should make it a bit more interesting.

Good thing nomar garciaparra doesn't play anymore.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Let's face it, a big issue with baseball today is the coddling.

The worst example for me are the "starting" pitchers that can't see a lineup the third time around, or can't exceed 50 pitches, or can't even once face a left handed batter. Back in my day in the early 21st century a man by the name of Randy "The Big Unit" Johnson threw over 400 pitches in a single best-of-7 series. Today he would have started game 1 and MAYBE appeared in relief in game 5 if it was a crucial game. Sickening.

Reactions: MarioLeMoose

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I think it's 15 seconds if there's no one on base, 20 seconds if someone is on base.

Anyway, Padres rule.

1-1.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I think it's 15 seconds if there's no one on base, 20 seconds if someone is on base.

Anyway, Padres rule.

1-1.
Yeah, something like that. They're also going to limit how many times the pitcher can throw to first. (3 per at bat) This rule might already be enforced.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Playoffs? Are you kidding me? PLAYOFFS?

Smelling like 6-1 (not watching the game). :partytime:

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
49ners - Chiefs

That was a wild last 2min.

51 yards FK for SF. FLAG for offense. 5 yards penalty.
56 yards kick.. and the guy loses the ball on the Chiefs side. SF recovers.
10 yards or so for a touchdown: Interception.

👀

SF just can't score points

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Has there been a better baseball executive in its history than Dave Dombrowski?

Everywhere he’s been he’s eventually led that team to a championship.

Does the ownership group give him the financial resources? Yes

Does he deplete the farm system to make the big league team better through trades? Yes

But man does he ever know how to build a championship team.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Has there been a better baseball executive in its history than Dave Dombrowski?

Everywhere he’s been he’s eventually led that team to a championship.

Does the ownership group give him the financial resources? Yes

Does he deplete the farm system to make the big league team better through trades? Yes

But man does he ever know how to build a championship team.
That depends on whether you believe in winning at any cost.

I'm with you - use the "bazooka "approach. Gut the system, saddle the team with awful contracts and have it sit the in basement for the next 3 years if you must.

But the margin here is very thin - if you don't deliver quickly enough you're certainly fired as an executive. You're also fired one the smell of "roses" wears off and the ownership realizes what they're stuck with now.

I think we're a minority however. Definitely amongst the fans, maybe even amongst the industry insiders.

Question, if you were a BOS fan, would you still support the team as they're collecting themselves from the pieces Dombrovski left behind?

Reactions: Runner77

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Brady should've remained retired :laugh:
1666650257949.png

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The WS starts tomorrow , who you guys got ? I'm 100% on board the Phillies train, as I said on this thread a couple weeks back, I'm pretty much done with seeing this Astros team, I just want them to go away for a while :laugh: That and I want my buddy @montreal to see his team win it all again after a pretty long time ;)

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The WS starts tomorrow , who you guys got ? I'm 100% on board the Phillies train, as I said on this thread a couple weeks back, I'm pretty much done with seeing this Astros team, I just want them to go away for a while :laugh: That and I want my buddy @montreal to see his team win it all again after a pretty long time ;)
It's going to be tough for them to beat the Astros but Harper is hot right now and Schwarber after a slow start in the playoffs is also hot. Should be interesting, their pitching depth vs the phillies power hitters

Reactions: Pompeius Magnus

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
FAA is currently winning against Alcaraz in the semi-finals in Bale. Alcaraz is struggling real hard. If FAA wins the finals (not trying to jinx), it would be his first straight championship win!

FAA is also playing godly right now

Reactions: DavePeak

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
FAA is currently winning against Alcaraz in the semi-finals in Bale. Alcaraz is struggling real hard. If FAA wins the finals (not trying to jinx), it would be his first straight championship win!

FAA is also playing godly right now
He destroyed him! Impressive stuff! That's 13 wins in a row for FAA!

Reactions: ArtPeur

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
FAA with the early lead this morning. His 3rd straight finals who might become his 3rd straight title. A win today will may lead him towards the final tournament with the top8 players in the World 😯

.. and Shapovalov is also playing in his own final against Medvedev in Vienna

Last edited:
Reactions: Belial

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
It is now official, Felix Auger-Aliassime will be playing in the ATP Final tournament in Torino! (For the top8 players in the last year)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad