OT: The Other Sports Thread Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I said at the deadline that Atkins remembered me Marc Bergevin and i stand by what i said. Trying to find the diamond in the rough by acquiring guys not good enough for other teams while refusing to pay the price to get real help. If he stays GM he'll waste this core.

Reactions: ReHabs

MarioLeMoose

Jul 15, 2022
I said at the deadline that Atkins remembered me Marc Bergevin and i stand by what i said. Trying to find the diamond in the rough by acquiring guys not good enough for other teams while refusing to pay the price to get real help. If he stays GM he'll waste this core.
I agree.
Although, this exact approach helped AA win a World Series last year with the Braves adding Pederson, Soler, Rosario and Duvall.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I agree.
Although, this exact approach helped AA win a World Series last year with the Braves adding Pederson, Soler, Rosario and Duvall.
Well sometime you are either lucky or have superior pro scouting but that's not what i would call a good and reliable strategy overall. Yes you can find the Martin St Louis gem but 99 out of 100 you'll find a guy with limitation who can play a small role but wont move the needle.

Jays already have good depth. It is my opinion that they are missing a guys with power to protect Vlad. Nobody is afraid of Hernandez or Kirk. They are very good players for sure but they are not guys that will force the other team to pitch to Vlad. They are also missing a real closer. I like Romano but he doesn't have that impossible to hit fastball you ideally want your main closer to have. They are also missing a top 3 starter. Getting those in the bargain bin is very hard.

Reactions: MarioLeMoose

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Jays fan here… now I know how fans of the Laffs feel.
I think it sucks even more than hockey. It's a long 162 games season where you have to avoid injuries. It's harder to make the playoffs If you want to avoid the first round where you can lose in two games you have to finish top 2 in your league. Then after all that the real playoffs start where you have to beat a rich team who spent without limit stacked with players having by themselves a bigger contract than an entire NHL team.

I stand behind the Jays because of Vlad junior. Sorry for people who hate everything Toronto but i just can't hate Vladdy junior. He's part of Montreal. I was watching the game with a friend and after the 5th inning i made the joke they would find a way to lose this not knowing they would actually lose it. Man there's no a lot of losses by the CH who shook me that much. Atkins work should be carefully evaluated I don't think he's the man to lead this team to a champ personally. To many missing pieces and no sign of him realizing it.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Who does everyone have as their picks for the Divisional Series?
I’m going with:
Yankees
Mariners
Braves
Padres
Yankees, Astros, Braves, Dodgers. No upsets , all the top seeds move on. The Padres winning would be nice though, sadly I just don't think they have the hitting depth to match LA.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Astros played Yanks tough all (as in made them their bitches both sides of the ball) season. Gotta think the psychological edge it theirs.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Decided to watch Raiders-Chiefs game, but decided to go for a walk with my dog once Raiders went up 17-0. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Damn, Raiders lose 30-29, and their final play includes two of their receivers running into each other. Wth? :facepalm:

1-4.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Since Im moving close to them soon, I'm going to start sniffing around KC's season tickets situation as early as next year.

Might drop my NYG ones since now it's very difficult to get up there to see them live.

MarioLeMoose

Jul 15, 2022
Braves all the way
I can't wait to see what Acuna has in store this post-season.
He had a bit of an off-year by his standards (which is obviously understandable returning from a serious injury)
You just know he's fired up for this after having to watch the whole post-season from the dugout last year.
Hoping for a Braves repeat

MarioLeMoose

Jul 15, 2022
NO IDEA what Servais was thinking going to Ray for the final out lastnight against Alvarez. The guy has absolutely dummied lefty pitching all season. Not only are you taking your closer who was great for you all season out of the game but you're going to a SP who obviously is not used to coming out of the bullpen, with the game on the line like that. Not to mention Ray looked awful in his last start. It was so obvious watching that what a terrible decision that was. Post-season rolls around and all the sudden managers try and get too cute, trust the guys who got you there for christ sake.

Reactions: Canadiens Ghost

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Anyone following what Haaland is doing at Man City? 14 goals (and 3 assists) in 8 matches. Yet another hat-trick at home today. Though Arsenal are keeping up with them for now in the League Table, this is shaping up as a juggernaut for Champion's League. For a guy that size, Haaland has unbelievable pace. Edit: measured at over 36 km/h.
Another article about Haaland's pace again. 'He ticks all the boxes I want a track athlete to tick' - Haaland the sprinter

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
HUGE win for San Diego last night. Musgrove getting the start tonight to try to close out the series.

Haven't been this nervous for a baseball game ever!

Go Padres!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad