OT: The OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
UBI is different than CERB/EI because you don’t lose anything for working. Everyone gets the UBI regardless of how much money you make. So this situations has not changed my mind on it.

it will be necessary in the future as automation because more prevalent. There will be no other option.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don’t have the numbers and this is just my impression based on people around me, but I think the F&B industry in particular was in good part propped up by HS kids whose families didn’t need the money but were pushing their kids to ‘get a job’ to teach responsibility, and with COVID those parents are less interested in pushing their kids out into minimum wage jobs in an infected world. Would be very curious to see employment rates for 16-18 y/os.

That was my issue with CERB. Those families benefited greatly from CERB because their kids got more money than they ever earned. For the kids there's no rush to make extra spending money when they already got like 2-3 years worth.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
afaict, one of the multiple hospitals the dr who gave the quotes worked for has released a statement saying they don’t have a bed shortage.

but he didn’t specifically name that one hospital. not to say he isn’t just some guy shooting his mouth off, and i would love for the quotes to not be true, but i don’t think that one press release debunks what he said.

Rolling Stone is in full backtrack mode.

Update: One hospital has denied Dr. Jason McElyea’s claim that ivermectin overdoses are causing emergency room backlogs and delays in medical care in rural Oklahoma, and Rolling Stone has been unable to independently verify any such cases as of the time of this update.

The National Poison Data System states there were 459 reported cases of ivermectin overdose in the United States in August. Oklahoma-specific ivermectin overdose figures are not available, but the count is unlikely to be a significant factor in hospital bed availability in a state that, per the CDC, currently has a 7-day average of 1,528 Covid-19 hospitalizations. The doctor is affiliated with a medical staffing group that serves multiple hospitals in Oklahoma. Following widespread publication of his statements, one hospital that the doctor’s group serves, NHS Sequoyah, said its ER has not treated any ivermectin overdoses and that it has not had to turn away anyone seeking care. This and other hospitals that the doctor’s group serves did not respond to requests for comment and the doctor has not responded to requests for further comment. We will update if we receive more information.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Rolling Stone is in full backtrack mode.

Update: One hospital has denied Dr. Jason McElyea’s claim that ivermectin overdoses are causing emergency room backlogs and delays in medical care in rural Oklahoma, and Rolling Stone has been unable to independently verify any such cases as of the time of this update.

The National Poison Data System states there were 459 reported cases of ivermectin overdose in the United States in August. Oklahoma-specific ivermectin overdose figures are not available, but the count is unlikely to be a significant factor in hospital bed availability in a state that, per the CDC, currently has a 7-day average of 1,528 Covid-19 hospitalizations. The doctor is affiliated with a medical staffing group that serves multiple hospitals in Oklahoma. Following widespread publication of his statements, one hospital that the doctor’s group serves, NHS Sequoyah, said its ER has not treated any ivermectin overdoses and that it has not had to turn away anyone seeking care. This and other hospitals that the doctor’s group serves did not respond to requests for comment and the doctor has not responded to requests for further comment. We will update if we receive more information.

i have to say, this is refreshingly good reporting.

admitted to the fallibility of their source, gave some objective numbers, and in the absence of definitive proof in either direction gave a reasonable analysis of the data and the likely conclusion we should draw from it.

the guardian did tuck the one hospital’s statement at the end of their article between when i posted and now, but gave no context or analysis or even any indication of how it affects the original story.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Michael K Williams, Omar Little from The Wire, dead at 54.

Michael K. Williams Dead: 'The Wire' Star Was 54 - Variety

RIP

michael-k-williams.jpg

Reactions: m9

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Good luck man, keep us updated.

Thanks! I will for sure.

That’s awesome, Stig, congrats and good luck!

And yeah, I feel like the minor hockey system in BC - the lower mainland in particular - has definitely become a very strong area in terms of developing talent.
Congrats! I know Jordan Gavin is one to look for in the future. And people knew about Bedard 3 years ago.

There's 2 kids in particular in the 10-11 year old category that are coming up through the BC Selects system (top development system in the province) that are heads and shoulders above the rest. Both playing AAA an age group ahead and still standing out. You'll hear their names. Not a matter of if, but when.

I always knew youd go that direction Stigs. Good luck friend!

Thanks bud. I look forward to dropping progress reports on here, and maybe some insider info if I can make sure I keep it anonymous.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I know he's more known for The Wire, but he was also excellent in Boardwalk Empire.

His role in HBO's "Lovecraft Country" was also excellent. The guy showed himself to be a very fine actor regardless of the role.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
UBI is different than CERB/EI because you don’t lose anything for working. Everyone gets the UBI regardless of how much money you make. So this situations has not changed my mind on it.

it will be necessary in the future as automation because more prevalent. There will be no other option.

what about the inflation aspect of printing money to support an ubi?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
They already literally print money whenever they want for whatever they want soooo

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008

It depends on how you fund it. UBI in theory could replace all social programs, also you just raise taxes on businesses since they are no longer paying employees (it’s in there benefit as well as unemployed people can’t buy stuff).

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
That’s kind of the good part, really. It’s just wealth redistribution, no different in principle than raising minimum wages. Proportionally more money goes to people with less, and it’s devalued slightly for everyone. So if you’re relatively wealthy then your extra $2500 a month or whatever is less than your increase in expenditures due to currency devaluation, but if your income is modest it isn’t and your purchasing power increases. Inflation is a vital part of the process.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I think it's best if you look at UBI as a near future sci-fi topic that you can start talking about now. Say it's the year 2050, humanity has survived or adjusted to global warming, but a combination of AI, automation, and robotics has improved enough that there is simply no longer any work for 30-50% of the population. Yet because of this automation we can still produce all the material goods society needs for a comfortable living. Do the wealthy/employed say **** you I got mine to the mass of unemployed people and accept an insane amount of homelessness and massive tent cities, or do you adjust the economy so that everyone gets a guaranteed income to afford a basic living standard?

And before you start thinking everyone would just be lazy bums, consider how many 'careers' people try to pursue but have to settle for a day job because for the vast majority interested they can give it full a time commitment just no money in it to earn a living: musicians, film & TV actors, artists, streamers and podcasters, indy game developers, various fitness instructors, make up artists, photographers, etc etc.

The way work is now isn't the way it's always been or has to be. I would say it's basically a creation of post-WWII prosperity mixed with Reaganomics greed.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I don’t have the numbers and this is just my impression based on people around me, but I think the F&B industry in particular was in good part propped up by HS kids whose families didn’t need the money but were pushing their kids to ‘get a job’ to teach responsibility, and with COVID those parents are less interested in pushing their kids out into minimum wage jobs in an infected world. Would be very curious to see employment rates for 16-18 y/os.

anecdotally, i think it's partially this but also partially part of a longer development where immigration policies changed dramatically and the kinds of immigrants who worked their way up the economic ladder from mcjobs have decreased significantly and we're starting to see those gaps in the workforce.

that said, i came back to vancouver four years ago, after not living here since the 90s and i was super surprised every time i went to a fast food restaurant that there were almost no teenagers working in any of them, no matter what part of the city. so there also might be something to a larger trend in parenting that COVID has exacerbated.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
anecdotally, i think it's partially this but also partially part of a longer development where immigration policies changed dramatically and the kinds of immigrants who worked their way up the economic ladder from mcjobs no longer have decreased significantly and we're starting to see those gaps in the workforce.

that said, i came back to vancouver four years ago, after not living here since the 90s and i was super surprised every time i went to a fast food restaurant that there were almost no teenagers working in any of them, no matter what part of the city. so there also might be something to a larger trend in parenting that COVID has exacerbated.

The fast food and restaurant industries have experienced quite a bit of growth over the past 10 years+ in North America. BC also had the lowest unemployment rate in Canada at the beginning of 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad