OT: The OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
It's sad how selfish, ignorant, and paranoid the conspiracy theorists have been this whole pandemic. Covid should really be no different than any other disaster/situation. We listen to the scientists/experts who lay out a ERP. Then we recover. People would have no problem with not going outside if there were a flood. Nor would they have a problem wearing a mask if there were volcanic ash in the air. This would be just as much of a "breach of their freedom" but they would comply because they care about their safety. They only care about their freedoms when it is to keep others safe, and not themselves. I understand that nobody wants to lockdown, and the economic hardships it creates. But, the people most vocal about lockdowns are vocal about everything that will prevent lockdowns like masks and vaccines. You would think hospitals being full of unvaccinated would be enough to convince these idiots.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
On a lighter note, what an insane Jays game tonight.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
There have always been so stupid people but this pandemic has really highlighted that.
Just the fact they held these protests at hospitals furthur proves just how dumb these people are. They don't pass legislation at hospitals. You can't get the Covid vaccine at a hospital. Literally the only thing my local hospital does that's Covid related is treat people who already have the virus and are sick enough to need hospitilization. So stupid.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I remember a few months ago the discussion on UBI came up here and it was quite interesting. But I want to know has this basic cerb/ei situation changed anyone’s minds on the benefits of UBI?

it’s seems to have created an epic labor shortage with people choosing to stay home.

also mods if this is too political please remove and let me know

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I remember a few months ago the discussion on UBI came up here and it was quite interesting. But I want to know has this basic cerb/ei situation changed anyone’s minds on the benefits of UBI?

it’s seems to have created an epic labor shortage with people choosing to stay home.

also mods if this is too political please remove and let me know
Has it created an elic labour shortage?

Or has underpaying employees coupled with the risk of covid created that "shortage"?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
This has apparently been debunked.

Seemingly Rolling Stone was relying on a source whom was not an employee (contractor?) and who has been associated with the institution/org for a few months now.

afaict, one of the multiple hospitals the dr who gave the quotes worked for has released a statement saying they don’t have a bed shortage.

but he didn’t specifically name that one hospital. not to say he isn’t just some guy shooting his mouth off, and i would love for the quotes to not be true, but i don’t think that one press release debunks what he said.

showing my work:

rolling stone’s update—

UPDATE: Northeastern Hospital System Sequoyah issued a statement

the guardian—

“There’s a reason you have to have a doctor to get a prescription for this stuff, because it can be dangerous,” Dr Jason McElyea, a family doctor in Sallisaw, told KFOR, an Oklahoma TV station.​

“The [emergency rooms] are so backed up that gunshot victims were having hard times getting to facilities where they can get definitive care and be treated.​

“Ambulances are stuck at the hospital waiting for a bed to open so they can take the patient in and they don’t have any, that’s it. If there’s no ambulance to take the call, there’s no ambulance to come to the call.”​

McElyea told the Tulsa World a colleague was forced to send one severely ill Covid patient to a hospital in South Dakota, three states away to the north.​

“They had sat in a small hospital needing to be in an [intensive care unit] for several days, and that was the closest ICU that was available,” he said.​

and if you follow the links from the guardian article, which hasn’t (yet?) been updated to note the press release that rolling stone did—

Dr. Jason A. Mcelyea is a family medicine doctor in Sallisaw, Oklahoma and is affiliated with multiple hospitals in the area, including Integris Grove Hospital and Northeastern Health System Sequoyah.

https://health.usnews.com/doctors/jason-mcelyea-815102

and the original tulsa world article fhat the quotes came from—

Dr. Jason McElyea, a rural emergency room physician, had a gunshot victim in his facility whom for hours he was unable to transfer to a higher level of care because no one had space. One of McElyea’s colleagues had to send a severely ill COVID patient all the way to South Dakota.​

“They had sat in a small hospital needing to be in an ICU for several days and that was the closest ICU that was available,” McElyea said.

McElyea, a frontline family physician working in emergency rooms in eastern and southern Oklahoma, said the gunshot victim who came in normally would have been no problem to transfer out of a small hospital that had no neurosurgeon and minimal critical-care capacities.

“We had a critical patient sitting in our ER for hours, and we simply couldn’t find a place for him to go,” McElyea said. “Another colleague in a place across the state: same situation. A traumatic brain injury with internal bleeding — couldn’t find a place to place these patients.”

The other patient with head trauma and internal bleeding was sent to Missouri, he said.​

but that article has other sources describing basically the same situation—

Dr. Mary Clarke, president of the Oklahoma State Medical Association, said Stillwater Medical Center has a patient with a cardiac issue that it can’t handle. The patient has been in its care for three days as health care workers keep her stable while trying to find a hospital in Oklahoma City where it can send her, Clarke said.​

“I’m trying to help people understand this is not just COVID,” said Clarke, a family practitioner based in Stillwater. “This is a domino effect to every other health condition that may need a hospital bed. Everything else. Period.​

…​

Davis said the Oklahoma Hospital Association’s recent survey of hospitals found there are about 200 fewer staffed beds in the state than in December.​

…​

Three major Oklahoma City hospital systems have reported no available ICU beds — and a fourth has reported no room for COVID patients — in point-in-time census counts. Some hospitals have halted select services or are delaying nonemergency procedures.​

…​

Davis said the Oklahoma Hospital Association’s top concern is the availability of intensive care beds, which she knows is “very tight.” She described how an ICU bed might open at 11 a.m. and be filled five minutes later.​

“We know that patients are being transferred out of state for beds,” Davis said. “We are increasingly concerned about the number of holds that are in emergency rooms waiting for ICU beds.”​

Last edited:

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
So something that may interest you guys and gals. I'm in the midst of changing professions. I've started a side job freelance scouting U18 hockey players in the lower mainland for junior programs. I'm hoping to use this to get experience and eventually get into the AHL and maybe someday NHL as a scout. I've always dreamed of being a part of the game in an official capacity and I've taken my first few steps. I obviously can't divulge much in the way of what I've been scouting, but I can say this, in 6 or 7 years, there's going to be 1 or 2 kids from the lower mainland that people will be wanting to tank for.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
So something that may interest you guys and gals. I'm in the midst of changing professions. I've started a side job freelance scouting U18 hockey players in the lower mainland for junior programs. I'm hoping to use this to get experience and eventually get into the AHL and maybe someday NHL as a scout. I've always dreamed of being a part of the game in an official capacity and I've taken my first few steps. I obviously can't divulge much in the way of what I've been scouting, but I can say this, in 6 or 7 years, there's going to be 1 or 2 kids from the lower mainland that people will be wanting to tank for.

Good luck man, keep us updated.

Reactions: The Stig

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Or has underpaying employees coupled with the risk of covid created that "shortage"?

My friend looked into this. Right now you get 2000 bucks a month on EI, and can work up to 10hrs a week without losing money on the EI. So you can make 2800 a month working just 10hrs a week. Or at that same $20 an hr you make $3200.

If UBI were a thing it would be $2800 vs $5200. Big difference.

we need to change something for an incentive to work.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

That’s awesome, Stig, congrats and good luck!

And yeah, I feel like the minor hockey system in BC - the lower mainland in particular - has definitely become a very strong area in terms of developing talent.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I always knew youd go that direction Stigs. Good luck friend!

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
My friend looked into this. [b ] Right now you get 2000 bucks a month on EI, and can work up to 10hrs a week without losing money on the EI.[/b] So you can make 2800 a month working just 10hrs a week. Or at that same $20 an hr you make $3200.

If UBI were a thing it would be $2800 vs $5200. Big difference.

we need to change something for an incentive to work.
On EI, or on the CRB ?? From people i know i think most sitting at home are/were collecting crb not EI, the crb was already cut from 2000/mth to around half that. I seriously doubt many people who can work would sit at home for 1100/mth (or whatever the new amount is). Who can even live on that? and where?
A lot of these industries moaning about labor shortages were doing so before covid was even a thing. Like if Denny's is having trouble finding cooks, maybe pay more than minimum wage. Funny how the restaurant industry has always had way more shortage of cooks than wait staff. I wonder why?

Reactions: Lonny Bohonos

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
On EI, or on the CRB ?? From people i know i think most sitting at home are/were collecting crb not EI, the crb was already cut from 2000/mth to around half that. I seriously doubt many people who can work would sit at home for 1100/mth (or whatever the new amount is). Who can even live on that? and where?
A lot of these industries moaning about labor shortages were doing so before covid was even a thing. Like if Denny's is having trouble finding cooks, maybe pay more than minimum wage. Funny how the restaurant industry has always had way more shortage of cooks than wait staff. I wonder why?

I use to work in the travel industry and was originally on the CEWS program, when our company did a mass layoff in OCT I couldn’t get onto CRB and was on EI making $2000ish a month.

It’s not even fulling sitting at home, it’s still working very minimally at 10hrs per week to maintain your full EI package, then you also get whatever else you make, and that puts you very close to $20/hr 40hrs per week.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

I think it has created a shortage; I think it’s more than just the cerb thing m; also the government absorbing lots of jobs for their call centers and COVID centers has fed into it.

I mean another side effect of the cerb/ei thing which would happen if we got an UBI would be inflation like we are seeing/will see

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Shortage of people willing to work entry level jobs for "minimum wage". Now, a good portion is due to the high cost of living (can't support yourself with that wage in Vancouver without working TONS of overtime) but I suspect a large number aren't willing to work "that kind of job" for $15+ bucks an hour. But that's just my speculation.

Signed, angry old guy.:laugh:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Shortage of people willing to work entry level jobs for "minimum wage". Now, a good portion is due to the high cost of living (can't support yourself with that wage in Vancouver without working TONS of overtime) but I suspect a large number aren't willing to work "that kind of job" for $15+ bucks an hour. But that's just my speculation.

Signed, angry old guy.:laugh:

I don’t have the numbers and this is just my impression based on people around me, but I think the F&B industry in particular was in good part propped up by HS kids whose families didn’t need the money but were pushing their kids to ‘get a job’ to teach responsibility, and with COVID those parents are less interested in pushing their kids out into minimum wage jobs in an infected world. Would be very curious to see employment rates for 16-18 y/os.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I don’t have the numbers and this is just my impression based on people around me, but I think the F&B industry in particular was in good part propped up by HS kids whose families didn’t need the money but were pushing their kids to ‘get a job’ to teach responsibility, and with COVID those parents are less interested in pushing their kids out into minimum wage jobs in an infected world. Would be very curious to see employment rates for 16-18 y/os.

Well the health industry is also devestated and I’ve heard word from
Many office based industries of the absolute shortage in workers.

I do think people are just burned out. I know I am; def considered selling everything and just moving to a beach and doing nothing for a few years

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I think it has created a shortage; I think it’s more than just the cerb thing m; also the government absorbing lots of jobs for their call centers and COVID centers has fed into it.

I mean another side effect of the cerb/ei thing which would happen if we got an UBI would be inflation like we are seeing/will see

A big part of it also is that Covid has, for many people, interrupted the cycle of working a terrible job where you get shit on by customers, treated like shit by management, and paid poorly.

When people are in those positions, they often internalize it and become convinced that they have no options. With the Covid layoffs, a lot of people have been forced out of that day-to-day reality, and have moved on to other work, moved away, gone back to school, etc. This is compounded by the lack of TFWs, international students, working holiday types, etc. coming from abroad.

Part of it also is that so many businesses basically operated by working their employees to the edge of burnout at all times. Add in the stresses of a seemingly neverending pandemic and people eventually just can't keep doing it.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I havent seen it personally but Id bet the great boomer retirement us millenials have been waiting for finally happened. Likely abruptly with companies unable to to plan ahead and ease people into now vacant jobs. Personally the trades where Im at are really hurting for knowledgable and even willing to learn people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00