OT: The OT Non-Ski Resort - Xbox One Pity Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I wonder...
How safe does one feel...
If the world's last hope is Channing Tatum?

Not exactly a slight against the guy...
But I question more on the studio's decision to make him into an action star...

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I think MuchMusic is going through a change...
Because they showed the uncensored version of Harold and Kumar and Harold and Kumar 2.

When I saw the movie poster for the first film...
I remember thinking that it was nice to see 2 Asians in the lead role.
Now that I think about it...
They may have tried to recreate Cheech and Chong...
And it worked somewhat...
Because the 1st one was quite fun.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
My parents live in the SE in Calgary, there house is safe from all the flooding..

My dad ripped into the city for not having proper flood planning lol

Considering that the flood is most likely a once in a lifetime flood, I think The City of Calgary did an amazing job dealing with what has occured. The City needs to dredge the Glenmore Reservoir, which would give them more control over the flow, but I don't think that would've done anything with the water levels we experienced.

The Flames and the Saddledome staff have a lot of work ahead of them, all the Jumbotron electronics are toast, along with the dressing rooms and such. The Calgary Stampede has stated it will go on, "Come Hell or High Water" (Yes that is their motto now).

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Went and saw World War Z last night. Thought it was pretty good, but nothing that hasn't been done already (zombies).

Pretty disappointed in the direction they took the movie in. I really liked the book, story is much different. Most importantly: the zombies in the book are slow, as zombies should be. Fast zombies scare me.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Considering that the flood is most likely a once in a lifetime flood, I think The City of Calgary did an amazing job dealing with what has occured. The City needs to dredge the Glenmore Reservoir, which would give them more control over the flow, but I don't think that would've done anything with the water levels we experienced.

The Flames and the Saddledome staff have a lot of work ahead of them, all the Jumbotron electronics are toast, along with the dressing rooms and such. The Calgary Stampede has stated it will go on, "Come Hell or High Water" (Yes that is their motto now).

My only complaint is that my power has been off since Friday morning, the flooding came nowhere near me, and nothing has been said about why our power's cut off. People are speculating that a substation was knocked out that controls our grid, but why don't they just say that? At first I thought they just turned it off so we'd leave the area, but the nearest water was 6 blocks away, Friday night. I need to know if I should go find somewhere to spend the next few days or just keep hanging out in the dark and taking cold showers and watching my food rot.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
My only complaint is that my power has been off since Friday morning, the flooding came nowhere near me, and nothing has been said about why our power's cut off. People are speculating that a substation was knocked out that controls our grid, but why don't they just say that? At first I thought they just turned it off so we'd leave the area, but the nearest water was 6 blocks away, Friday night. I need to know if I should go find somewhere to spend the next few days or just keep hanging out in the dark and taking cold showers and watching my food rot.

Agreed, I have a friend who is in the same boat as you, wasn't in an evacuation zone but power is off. I'm assuming your area's tranformer may be too wet to turn on.

@EricFrancis47s
Harvey the Hound's head was found floating in the middle of the Saddledome today as crews pump out an estimated 300,000,000 gallons of water

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Pretty disappointed in the direction they took the movie in. I really liked the book, story is much different. Most importantly: the zombies in the book are slow, as zombies should be. Fast zombies scare me.

Aren't zombies supposed to be scary?

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Most importantly: the zombies in the book are slow, as zombies should be.

Zombieland is like that too... fast Zombies.

I watched it again after the last episode of The Walking Dead, (needed my zombie fix) and forgot how much scarier it is when they can out run you. :amazed:

Speaking of needing a fix, after the last episode of Game of Thrones I needed my blood and boobies fix so my friend turned me on to Spartacus. I just finished watching all of the episodes... got my fill of what I was looking for... and then some.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
And just like that Nadal goes from hero to zero

Lol not quite. When a player is visibly limping by the end of a match, it's safe to assume he's not playing 100% healthy, or anything close to it.

Nadal lost in the 2nd round last year to the 100th ranked player in the world, took 7 months off to heal, then came back and has done well. Now he needs to take some time off to heal again.

I don't think this makes him a "zero" at all. He's just human. One that happens to be really good at tennis.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Lol not quite. When a player is visibly limping by the end of a match, it's safe to assume he's not playing 100% healthy, or anything close to it.

Nadal lost in the 2nd round last year to the 100th ranked player in the world, took 7 months off to heal, then came back and has done well. Now he needs to take some time off to heal again.

I don't think this makes him a "zero" at all. He's just human. One that happens to be really good at tennis.

Yeah...
Not a big issue...
If he is limping...
Then everybody understands why.

Plus...
The man has 12 majors...
A career Grand Slam...
And the very rare Golden Slam.
Even if he retires right now...
He will still be a Hall of Famer.
I don't think anybody will think any less of him.

The French and Wimbledon are too close together.
It really does not give players...
Especially ones who are already injured...
Too much time to heal and recover.

But the upside is...
Now that he is out so early...
He will have time to prepare and heal for the U.S. Open...
Provided that his injuries are not too serious.
The Slams are really all that matters.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I am planning to watch that next week.
Should be fun.

It's worth a watch, but like I said, it's already something that's been done with zombies, just with some changes (zombies are incredibly faster).

Might go see it, I got a "meh" response from most of the people I asked about it

It was meh for me too. It's in 3D, and maybe I was just sitting too close to actually enjoy the movie, but in 3D the movie was so fast paced I didn't even know what was happening some of the times.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

It is the evolution of movie zombies.
Back in the 60s...
When George A. Romero was doing his cult classics...
Zombies were mindless creatures who just walk around without any purposes...
And they overwhelm people with their numbers.
When I watch those...
I always wonder how the people will ever be bitten if the zombies are so slow and dumb...
And how there could be so many if people can just outrun and outsmart them.
Of course...
In some of the scenarios...
People just did not realize that a zombie was there...
And they got surprise bitten...
But in those films...
The zombies are not scary at all...
And the films are quite campy.

Throughout the 70s and 80s...
Romero built on it...
And the zombies continued to be slow and dumb.

I don't think it was until 28 Days Later that we saw a change.
Now...
Zombies are fast...
And the only way to stop them is to shoot them through the head...
Which makes them so much scarier.

Then...
In the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead...
The zombies portrayed there became the basis of the current version of zombies we see today.
Now...
Not only are zombies fast...
They can do parkor...
And they have no stamina issues.
It explained how so many people could get bitten...
And how they could get so many in numbers...
And it really makes people fear a zombie apocalypse.

I think that is a nice change...
Provided that the movies are just movies...
And what they portrayed will not happen.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Figure of speech, where I come from at least, not to be taken too literal.
That said he is also no were near as dominant when not on clay, but that is just being captain obvious

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It is the evolution of movie zombies.
Back in the 60s...
When George A. Romero was doing his cult classics...
Zombies were mindless creatures who just walk around without any purposes...
And they overwhelm people with their numbers.
When I watch those...
I always wonder how the people will ever be bitten if the zombies are so slow and dumb...
And how there could be so many if people can just outrun and outsmart them.
Of course...
In some of the scenarios...
People just did not realize that a zombie was there...
And they got surprise bitten...
But in those films...
The zombies are not scary at all...
And the films are quite campy.

Throughout the 70s and 80s...
Romero built on it...
And the zombies continued to be slow and dumb.

I don't think it was until 28 Days Later that we saw a change.
Now...
Zombies are fast...
And the only way to stop them is to shoot them through the head...
Which makes them so much scarier.

Then...
In the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead...
The zombies portrayed there became the basis of the current version of zombies we see today.
Now...
Not only are zombies fast...
They can do parkor...
And they have no stamina issues.
It explained how so many people could get bitten...
And how they could get so many in numbers...
And it really makes people fear a zombie apocalypse.

I think that is a nice change...
Provided that the movies are just movies...
And what they portrayed will not happen.

Well summarized. The movies have enforced this change, I think, because they feel that the average shambling zombie isn't threatening enough. "How could something so slow and feeble threaten our existence, overpower the military, etc. etc.?"

Books, comics, shows, etc. can afford to take the time to explain how slow zombies can take over - the confusion, caring for infected people at hospitals who turn and start infecting others, and so on. But movies can't afford to take the time to explain it all without some serious exposition.

IMO, it's a bit of a cop-out, but I don't usually find the fast zombie vs. slow zombie decision to make or break whether I enjoy the movie or not.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I have just thought of a great Idea for a gif/edited YT vid that I will give to some one that has the skill and patience to create it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad