Post-Game Talk: The one where terrible ex-Oilers scored all the Flames goals

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I get it's preseason but holy hell I'd say Bear, Persson, Bouchard and Benning have all been better than Larsson.

I don't know what happened to the guy who was so great in the playoff season but he looks terrible.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree, but we also need structure to keep the puck out of the net. Lagesson had a great game in that regard. I wouldn't cut him. Basically it comes down to who would you rather cut Bear or Lagesson?

lol Lagesson all day long. Oilers need puck freaking movement from the back end, Bear is that new age style of D.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
At this point A for effort no longer cuts it. After 12 years of losing moral victories are going to be judged.
Ex is no big deal but like it or not the team has to be successful when you have the best player in the world and another guy who is a star.

Ok, what does that have to do with the game tonight?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I get it's preseason but holy hell I'd say Bear, Persson, Bouchard and Benning have all been better than Larsson.

I don't know what happened to the guy who was so great in the playoff season but he looks terrible.

If he does not get out of whatever this funk he is in by November, I would start shopping him for some other right D.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The NHL isnt a development league and Holland knows it. He's going to be cut IMO. He might get a cup of tea until Persson is back but even then I doubt it.
Except it is at times. The mistakes Bear makes you need to be challenged to learn from. You do that in the NHL. Jesus.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The game I watched we didn't scored for 55minutes and the Flames were sleep walking to the win hardly having to exert an effort.

We get two nothing goals in garbage time which seems to have salvaged something for some viewers. The vast majority of this game was horrible from an Oilers fan standpoint.

Reactions: Critical91

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Cave isn't a Holland aquisition so I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't on the opening roster given how others have played. He hasn't been bad but his performances haven't been great either.

Granlund on the other hand Holland did bring in and I would expect gets at least onto the roster. He's among some vets including Chiasson, Nurse and Larsson who need to pick it up come opening night. Benning and Manning are another story.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
lol Lagesson all day long. Oilers need puck freaking movement from the back end, Bear is that new age style of D.

You dont seem to understand that hockey is about limiting dangerous scoring chances, while creating your own. I would say Bear didnt do enough tonight against an ctual NHL lineup to solidify a spot. I was hoping he would, but he looked bad defensively

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The game I watched we didn't scored for 55minutes and the Flames were sleep walking to the win hardly having to exert an effort.

We get two nothing goals in garbage time which seems to have salvaged something for some viewers. The vast majority of this game was horrible from an Oilers fan standpoint.

Well last season people were doing backflips over pre-season.

Quite frankly, I'm glad they lost. They've had amazing pre-seasons the two years and actually since 05-06 really. It hasn't amounted to dick all.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Not a big fan of our D at the moment. If I were to guess, Bouchard will see some games in the latter half of the season.

Reactions: dustrock

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Except it is at times. The mistakes Bear makes you need to be challenged to learn from. You do that in the NHL. Jesus.

You dont do that as a top 4 dman. If he's on the team its the bottom pairing and Benning is on the 2nd pair

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You dont seem to understand that hockey is about limiting dangerous scoring chances, while creating your own. I would say Bear didnt do enough tonight against an ctual NHL lineup to solidify a spot. I was hoping he would, but he looked bad defensively
Jesus Christ dude. You are shitting on Bear for having a few bad looks tonight when it's something Benning does routinely every night while also being bad at moving the puck and generating offense.

Your hockey watching IQ is baffling

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You dont do that as a top 4 dman. If he's on the team its the bottom pairing and Benning is on the 2nd pair
Lol. If Benning is on your second pair you are the worst team in the league. Benning is average at best on the bottom pairing and looks like easily the worst player on the league on the second pairing. The fact that you even try and argue against that is hilarious

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not a big fan of our D at the moment. If I were to guess, Bouchard will see some games in the latter half of the season.

Yep. The forward group is nothing to write home about, but think Holland has the ball moving in the right direction there at least with some skill added in Jurco and Neal and Nygard and Haas potentially over dumb grinder types.

The D isn't good enough though ... Larsson, Nurse, Benning in particular make too many dumb mistakes and we don't have the explosive offence depth to get those goals back.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Jesus Christ dude. You are ****ting on Bear for having a few bad looks tonight when it's something Benning does routinely every night while also being bad at moving the puck and generating offense.

Your hockey watching IQ is baffling

Did you even watch Benning tonight? All he did was move the puck. You guys have no idea how good Benning is!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yep. The forward group is nothing to write home about, but think Holland has the ball moving in the right direction there at least with some skill added in Jurco and Neal and Nygard and Haas potentially over dumb grinder types.

The D isn't good enough though ... Larsson, Nurse, Benning in particular make too many dumb mistakes and we don't have the explosive offence depth to get those goals back.
Luckily our prospect depth is strong on defense. Get Bear into it this season, maybe Lagesson too. Then you have Samorukov and co percolating in the minors and overseas.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Draisaitl-McDavid-Jurco
Nygard-RNH-Neal
Khaira-Sheahan-Archibald
Chiasson-Haas-Kassian
Gagner, Cave

Klefbom-Bear
Nurse-Lars
Russell-Benning
Lagesson

Russell to Condors. Granlund shot into space, strapped to Manning’s back. Bear rotates in with Benning when Persson is healthy.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Lol. If Benning is on your second pair you are the worst team in the league. Benning is average at best on the bottom pairing and looks like easily the worst player on the league on the second pairing. The fact that you even try and argue against that is hilarious

Youd rather put a rookie on that pairing that got walked by Sam Bennett. Thats a laugh. Lagesson played way better then Bear this game

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Did you even watch Benning tonight? All he did was move the puck. You guys have no idea how good Benning is!
tenor.gif

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We've seen Matt Benning's puck moving skills the last two years. It's not good enough.

We need other guys to be given a shot.
Like even of he LOVES Benning...which it seems like he does. They would both be on the team anyways

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The following players looked like absolute garbage tonight in the last preseason game. Not a good look going into regular season;

Gagner, Chiasson, Khaira, Nurse, Larsson, Granlund, Cave, Nygard, Kassian, Archibald Bear, Lagesson, Manning.

The bolded have been garbage throughout the preseason. 9 of the bolded are making the starting lineup.

We have nearly half the starting lineup here that looked terrible either in this game, or throughout the preseason.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I've seen Sam Bennett walk much better players than Bear...so yeah?

And those players are top 4 dmen in the NHL? Give me a break man, Bear needs to be broken in on the 3rd pair with heavy PP time if he makes the team.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Agreed, I’m pretty pleased with what Holland has done with the forwards. Hopefully Persson has a quick recovery and Bear/Lagesson really step up because I don’t have much faith in the rest besides Klefbom (when healthy)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad