Post-Game Talk: The one where terrible ex-Oilers scored all the Flames goals

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
And last game Bear looked asking and Benning was pure trash. Like he has been every other preseason game.

How you can't see that and call a guy like Bear not ready after his first rough game is hilarious.

Because his first rough game is against an actual NHL lineup, you know something Benning's faced 200+ times

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Draisaitl - McDavid - Kassian
Gagner - RNH - Neal
Jurco - Haas - Chiasson
Khaira - Sheahan - Archibald
Russell, Granlund

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Persson
Russell - Benning
Manning

Smith
Buyoutkinen

Bear would make my team but I think he falls victim to the numbers game of not needing waivers. Also that team sucks donkey dick.
Persson will be out for the start of the season

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
What did Nygard show? The facebook feed died just when the Oilers scored the two goals. Never got to see them. NHL isn't doing goal replays of the games either so I probably never saw the plays.

lmfao that I miss 1min of play and it was the only one even remotely interesting.

What a ****ing depressing game.

Don't let it get you down...water off a ducks back as it was an evaluation game for the final roster spots. It looks and feels like late November out there (at least here in the Hat anyways) but the calendar still says September. I expected a 6-1 Calgary win but if not for a bad turnover by Nurse, the B squad had a legit shot at winning it in OT or a shootout.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Really liked what I seen out of Haas tonight. He skates really nice.

Nygard had some nice moments. Maybe not the best preseason (he was still better than a good amount of forwards) from him but the team needs his speed.

Didnt see much from Granlund all preseason.

Will be interesting to see who gets cut or sent down. Have to think Cave, while he works hard, just hasnt done enough. I think he will look worse once the games speed up. Have to think last spot is between P. Russell and Granlund?

I am not overly worried about the forwards. I would probably go with:

Jurco - McDavid - Draisaitl
Nygard - RNH - Neal
Gagner/Chiasson - Haas - Kassian
Khaira - Sheahan - Archibald
Ex: Granlund, Chiasson/Gagner

I think the defense is a mess. We have to hope that Larsson and Nurse pick it up once the season start, but I have my doubts. They both make so many mistakes.

Koskinen wasnt bad persay but once again the others team goaltending was better than ours. (And I actually think Rittich had to make more difficult saves).

Nice to see the team not give up. Bring on the regular season.

Reactions: Pomee

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What did Nygard show? The facebook feed died just when the Oilers scored the two goals. Never got to see them. NHL isn't doing goal replays of the games either so I probably never saw the plays.

lmfao that I miss 1min of play and it was the only one even remotely interesting.

What a ****ing depressing game.

Good redirect off a nice Haas pass for a goal Then gave Kassian the same type of pass for a redirect for another goal. Some patience and playmaking shown there and being in the right spots. But also... Flames were a bit sleepy on those plays.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You have to play these guys some time, Bear is 22 years old, you can't freak out if there's a chance against ... Larsson, Nurse, Klefbom, Russell, Benning also allow chances against.

Kid's toolset is badly, badly needed by the Oilers, we were actually breaking out with speed several times.

He got a bit over excited right at that end but if got what he wanted on that shot he very well could've tied the game also.

We got to let him play, he will lose waiver eligibility next season. It's +4 from his draft year.

Then keep him up next season, he's not ready. Id rather him come in here and dominate, then be Justin Schultzed which is what will happen if we keep him up

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers had most of their starting lineup in. Unfortunately bad game from all of them. The only good performances were Jurco, and Haas. everybody else was garbage.

Yeah aside from like some guy named McDavid, and RNH, and Neal, and Klefbom, and Russell and no Smith in net.

They're missing 3/4 best forwards and 2/4 best D, lol.

That was a pretty even game.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I don't care about the result of this game at all but lets not pretend the Flames veteran squad was playing at full throttle either.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Then keep him up next season, he's not ready. Id rather him come in here and dominate, then be Justin Schultzed which is what will happen if we keep him up

He will get some games and then Persson likely cycles in. That roster spot is open precisely so players like Bear and Persson can actually play.

Bear is the best Oiler D at moving the puck.

He's not a baby anymore, he's 4 years removed from his draft day and 22 years old.

He makes no more mistakes than any other Oiler D.

He is in incredible shape and worked his ass off in the summer training like a pro.

It's time.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Our team needs Bear more than Lagesson.

Russell should never be on his right side. It kills our game.

We need pick movement. Bear brings that.

I agree, but we also need structure to keep the puck out of the net. Lagesson had a great game in that regard. I wouldn't cut him. Basically it comes down to who would you rather cut Bear or Lagesson?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
People are upset because 2/3 of the lineup we iced tonight were complete crap, and with these players making up the vast majority of our starting lineup.

We were missing McD, Nuge, Neal, Klef tonight from the starting lineup on Wednesday. Anybody else?

The Flames topsix barely even played. The Flames won this game despite their topsix doing nothing all game and they'll play different than that once the season starts.

Reactions: oXo Cube

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I agree, but we also need structure to keep the puck out of the net. Lagesson had a great game in that regard. I wouldn't cut him. Basically it comes down to who would you rather cut Bear or Lagesson?
Manning. You cut Manning and you have Lagesson as the #7

Reactions: npanciroli

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't care about the result of this game at all but lets not pretend the Flames veteran squad was playing at full throttle either.

Who said that the Flames went full throttle? People are just contesting the contrarian opinion that the Oilers were terrible with their apparent near full lineup. The Oilers team without 3 of their 4 best players and best natual winger played toe to toe with a full Flames squad. It doesn't mean anything but that's the assessment of this particular game that even the Flames announcers agreed with.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
He will get some games and then Persson likely cycles in. That roster spot is open precisely so players like Bear and Persson can actually play.

The NHL isnt a development league and Holland knows it. He's going to be cut IMO. He might get a cup of tea until Persson is back but even then I doubt it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Good redirect off a nice Haas pass for a goal Then gave Kassian the same type of pass for a redirect for another goal. Some patience and playmaking shown there and being in the right spots. But also... Flames were a bit sleepy on those plays.

Thanks, but Nygard didn't score any goals. I'm confused with your rundown.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If I had to guess, cave and manning waived, benning traded for a 6th and Persson to the ir.

Edit: Patrick Russell is waived as well

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I don't know why people are crapping on the team. They played very well considering the lineups iced tonight, WTF did people expect? Even the Flames announcers were saying the Oilers outplayed the Flames, on multiple occasions.
It's going to be a long season if people are *****ing about a game like this one.

At this point A for effort no longer cuts it. After 12 years of losing moral victories are going to be judged.
Ex is no big deal but like it or not the team has to be successful when you have the best player in the world and another guy who is a star.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Bear is the best Oiler D at moving the puck.

He's not a baby anymore, he's 4 years removed from his draft day and 22 years old.

He makes no more mistakes than any other Oiler D.

He is in incredible shape and worked his ass off in the summer training like a pro.

It's time.
Nah, we should just try the exact same lineup as last season lol

Bear brings offense and puck movement which makes up for his odd defensive lapses

We disagree a lot but on our backend the biggest thing we need is for the puck to keep moving forward. Bear does that

Reactions: Chabot84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad