The once-new "what's going on with Panarin" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Lets not generalize people by age and their desires! But to answer your question: Im in my 20s so yes, some people of that age have this weird intense urge to go out to be among others all the time.

About losing Bob: Im uncertain what kind of a relationship they have. The fact that they hang around together quite a lot isnt a real tell as its a natural desire to be in the company of your own kind when you are in a far less familiar environment.

If I had to speculate and god knows I hate making assumptions: its quite regrettable that CBJ had another russian on it when Bread arrived. It would be better if Bob was a Finn or anything else really. In this case bread would be forced to integrate into the team on a higher level I think. Instead of being friends with Bob and his wife. Some other russians have shown that it can be done, some of them even speak decent english and dont play anywhere near the most desirable states of the US.

I suspect it was Bob's influence and his idea to plant these seeds in Breads head. The nasty poisonous seeds of "lets leave this place".

I hope bread stays as CBJ is a young, even sexy underdog!

I think they have gradually become very close friends. Besties, perhaps. When they spent so much time together this summer it confirmed it, you wouldn't do that with just a close co-worker.

I have speculated before that Artemi might be offended on Bob's behalf for the organization's caution in committing to Bob. I originally wanted the club to make a big joint offer to the both of them, before the news broke that they weren't as interested in Bob and Artemi wasn't as interested in them. But other than that, I don't think Bob ever had a reason to feel any ill will towards Columbus, and we have no idea if this factors into Panarin's calculation at all.

Reactions: thebus88

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I think they have gradually become very close friends. Besties, perhaps. When they spent so much time together this summer it confirmed it, you wouldn't do that with just a close co-worker.

I have speculated before that Artemi might be offended on Bob's behalf for the organization's caution in committing to Bob. I originally wanted the club to make a big joint offer to the both of them, before the news broke that they weren't as interested in Bob and Artemi wasn't as interested in them. But other than that, I don't think Bob ever had a reason to feel any ill will towards Columbus, and we have no idea if this factors into Panarin's calculation at all.

An average Russian may lack the typical Western rationalism and pragmatism. Its a cultural thing you see.

It is possible that Bob who lets face it has been fundamental to CBJs relative success in these past 4-5 years feels underappreciated. Maybe Torts yelled at him a couple of times or god knows what else happened over there.

Personally I have seen A LOT of appreciation towards Bob from the fans and from the team. In fact it appears that Folingo has a nice relationship with him.

Being offended at the organisation which is paying Bob that kind of money would be foolish and too emotional for a hockey player. Being offended means that theres too much ego there as well.

A way more rational thing for Bob to do would to think WHY the organisation wouldnt offer him 10m for 7 years. Oh thats right, Bob wasnt in his vezina form during the playoffs, and maybe Bob would think how to fix that since its all in his head!

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Im a russian and Im looking at Columbus. Its not a bad place at all. If it was Detroit like then Id totally get the desire to be as far as possible from it.

I see Columbus has some very nice districts where one can buy a very private house in a peaceful, barely populated neighbourhood.

And Miami can easily be reached during holidays. I hope he stays for the sake of the team. CBJ can find a decent goalie during the summer and keep building from there with Panarin being one of the core members.

If all goes well this team could be a top three team on the East, especially considering the inevitable future decline of Pitts and WSH.

Bread also appears to have good chemistry with certain linemates.
To me, every NHL city can be great when you make what NHL players make. Detroit has some excellent suburbs and private schools.

Also when you make what they make, the nightlife finds you.

I understand players who want to be on a winning team with great linemates and a coach that trusts them.

I understand players who want the most money possible.

Columbus can give both those things to Panarin, but they aren't what he apparently wants. That is what I don't get.

If he wants to become a famous sports star, he simply went into the wrong sport. Going to New York or LA isn't going to make him famous. The average person in NYC doesn't know who Tavares is or Lundqvist. And with Lebron James in LA all eyes will be on him.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Columbus can give both those things to Panarin, but they aren't what he apparently wants. That is what I don't get.

If he wants to become a famous sports star, he simply went into the wrong sport. Going to New York or LA isn't going to make him famous. The average person in NYC doesn't know who Tavares is or Lundqvist. And with Lebron James in LA all eyes will be on him.

If he goes to Florida or Long Island, we can conclude that fame is not Artemi's highest priority.

If he goes to Manhattan it might be. Lundqvist is pretty famous, I think. I don't live in NYC so I don't have a strong sense of it but he's on TV every now and then and does a lot of endorsements.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If he goes to Florida or Long Island, we can conclude that fame is not Artemi's highest priority.

If he goes to Manhattan it might be. Lundqvist is pretty famous, I think. I don't live in NYC so I don't have a strong sense of it but he's on TV every now and then and does a lot of endorsements.
I think its easier to market Henriks face compared to Artemi's :laugh: I also think Henrik has a lot more going on outside of hockey

Reactions: Facifer

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I think he's in a very high category of players, perhaps a top ten player in the league.

I ask myself the question, if you put Panarin with two replacement cost players - let's say Sedlak and a free pickup like Duclair but a little less effective, like Ty Rattie - would it still be the best line on the team? Would it still be an above average top line leaguewide? I think yes to the first question and I don't know about the second question.

In terms of performance:
$13m + $1m + $1m > $5m + $5m + $5m.

The line with Panarin is better than the line with three good forwards. Of course I think McDavid is worth something closer to $18m per.

I'm not completely sure where you are going. Two lesser players will almost never replace a better player, part of that comes from the role(s) they have and the minutes they are playing. 13 million is too high based on his current production. To be honest, his presence is appreciated but it hasn't translated into a better team (points and playoff results). That suggests what we need to take the next step is more than just an elite top line forward. We barely made it in last season, while getting in easily the year before. We can argue that we fought a better fight in our first round loss.

I would rather keep Panarin than Bob, but we probably won't keep either at this point. However it probably won't be from a lack of trying.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Andy! And he listen to Larsen and gave the pump fake before putting it in the net. :laugh:Very nice passed by Beerman

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'm not completely sure where you are going. Two lesser players will almost never replace a better player, part of that comes from the role(s) they have and the minutes they are playing. 13 million is too high based on his current production. To be honest, his presence is appreciated but it hasn't translated into a better team (points and playoff results). That suggests what we need to take the next step is more than just an elite top line forward. We barely made it in last season, while getting in easily the year before. We can argue that we fought a better fight in our first round loss.

I agree but what I would add that one wrong player can set a franchise back immensely. Whether it's the contract or the player themselves if you're going to do a max deal and the deal misses it hurts.
Horton wasn't a max deal but was the biggest the team had done at the time and it snowballed from bad to worse.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm not completely sure where you are going. Two lesser players will almost never replace a better player, part of that comes from the role(s) they have and the minutes they are playing.

While I agree that in general this is true, I think with the Bread situation it would be possible to replace him with two players that would make the team better.

To somewhat beat a dead horse, Stone plus either Duchene or Skinner in place of Bread and his expected contract would make the Jackets a better team. Together they probably are good for at least 110 points and possibly in excess of 120 but more importantly would help the Jackets put out 2 good scoring lines.

Reactions: thebus88

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
While I agree that in general this is true, I think with the Bread situation it would be possible to replace him with two players that would make the team better.

To somewhat beat a dead horse, Stone plus either Duchene or Skinner in place of Bread and his expected contract would make the Jackets a better team. Together they probably are good for at least 110 points and possibly in excess of 120 but more importantly would help the Jackets put out 2 good scoring lines.

I'm not sure if I'd say replacing 1 top line player with 2 top line players is what I was getting at. One thing to consider, also, is the cap implication of what you suggest. Obviously there is virtually no chance of us acquiring those players.

Cheers

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I agree but what I would add that one wrong player can set a franchise back immensely. Whether it's the contract or the player themselves if you're going to do a max deal and the deal misses it hurts.
Horton wasn't a max deal but was the biggest the team had done at the time and it snowballed from bad to worse.

Yes, I'm not sure where you are going with this? Were you the person that didn't like Duchene? Yes, I suppose if you acquire a player you can run into back issues down the road. Are you saying Panarin is the wong player. :huh:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Yes, I'm not sure where you are going with this? Were you the person that didn't like Duchene? Yes, I suppose if you acquire a player you can run into back issues down the road. Are you saying Panarin is the wong player. :huh:
I'm just saying 1 good players does not always exceed 2 average players.
The right good player I agree.
But if you add in the wrong talented player that doesn't fit the team or system it sets the team back. We've added a ton of talented wrong players over the years (Foote, Carter, Horton, etc) guys that on paper looked like right moves from statistic POV but didn't make team better.

No I don't want Duchene.
I think Panarin is right player but he (at this point) doesn't want to be here.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What would you folks think of a proposed trade on the Bruins Board of Panaren for Rask even up no attachments (I’m the messenger here and am curious the pros and cons if any from the Jackets)

Thanks in advance

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
What would you folks think of a proposed trade on the Bruins Board of Panaren for Rask even up no attachments (I’m the messenger here and am curious the pros and cons if any from the Jackets)

Thanks in advance

:huh: :help: ... that’s all I got.

Reactions: DKH

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Does anybody remember mid-to late summer when John Davidson and Jarmo had a sit down lunch with Rick Nash? At the end of it both sides said the meeting went very well (Jarmo had the salad, and JD had the swordfish,btw). Rick even made a nice donation to Jarmo's charity.

Does anybody think there was a conversation that went something like the following:

Jarmo; "So Rick...how are the concussions?"
Nasher: "Ahhh...that's all cleared up. I'm still a bit tired, but I could play in a week or so."
Jarmo: "You know if I trade the Breadman, I would have a spot and some salary open"
Nasher: "Yea....I was wondering about that"
JD: "We really think it would be fitting for you to have the opportunity to retire as a Blue Jacket"
Nasher: "Yea, that would be pretty sweet.....then my kids could watch me skate on a regular basis"
Jarmo: "So we would obviously get a return on the trade but it could be more draft picks and prospects than a here and now player" " We would have a need here and now"
Nasher: "Well that works well because I'm here...now."
JD: "Who wants dessert?"

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Does anybody remember mid-to late summer when John Davidson and Jarmo had a sit down lunch with Rick Nash? At the end of it both sides said the meeting went very well (Jarmo had the salad, and JD had the swordfish,btw). Rick even made a nice donation to Jarmo's charity.

Does anybody think there was a conversation that went something like the following:

Jarmo; "So Rick...how are the concussions?"
Nasher: "Ahhh...that's all cleared up. I'm still a bit tired, but I could play in a week or so."
Jarmo: "You know if I trade the Breadman, I would have a spot and some salary open"
Nasher: "Yea....I was wondering about that"
JD: "We really think it would be fitting for you to have the opportunity to retire as a Blue Jacket"
Nasher: "Yea, that would be pretty sweet.....then my kids could watch me skate on a regular basis"
Jarmo: "So we would obviously get a return on the trade but it could be more draft picks and prospects than a here and now player" " We would have a need here and now"
Nasher: "Well that works well because I'm here...now."
JD: "Who wants dessert?"

I think there could have been a conversation that took place that involved some similar lines of discussion.

Reactions: CBJFan827

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think of Rick Nash as a depth pickup. He'll give us a bottom six that Torts will play, he's a trustworthy player. He doesn't score at a particularly high rate these days. And just my guess but I think he's the humble sort, he's not going to want to be expected to be a big producer.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I wouldn't be surprised to see Nash sign with the CBJ at any point during the year. Probably a low risk/medium reward type move. Could easily see him see/steal they time that some of the younger guys are seeing on the bottom 2 lines with PP time. You don't forget to know how to score goals.

In regards to Panarin, I think some of what we are seeing is something some of us brought up a WHILE back when Panarin was 1st brought in. While he is extremely skilled, and a very good shooter, he is similar to Wennberg in that he attempts to be a "distributor" instead of the shooter a lot of the time.

However, I don't think this is the only reason. Recently, his work/effort away from the puck to get in dangerous areas, along with his "drive" with the puck, hasn't been what we've been used to seeing.

I definitely had a "WHAT-COME ON"!! moment during the SO attempt, but I understand what he tried to do. He tried to surprise him with the quick release, but I think he went too quick and didn't get everything behind the shot along with being too far out from the net. Especially with that young goalie, Panarin should have skated right down the middle of the slot and simply picked a lace to shoot. Almost a "lock" many other times against much better/more seasoned goalies.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Yeah, I wasn't sure about that shot in the SO. To be honest, he looked really tired. He played that really long OT shift not too long before that.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Thanks in advance

We shoulda jumped on this when we had the chance.

Is a 2-3 year contract still out of the question for Panarin?

Do we have any confirmation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad