The once-new "what's going on with Panarin" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I'm not worried about Panarin's game. This is a better team with him than without him. Sure, I would like more. It's a long season.

Last 10 games - 6-2-2 = 14 points. That is a 114 pace over 82. I'll take my chances with that.

Reactions: SuperGenius

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm not worried. He's not producing right now, but he looks engaged and has been a tad snake bitten. He'll get it figured out

Reactions: SuperGenius

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Portzline posted an article in The Athletic about potential players the Jackets could trade. Here is what he says about Panarin:

Inevitable*
Artemi Panarin — The Blue Jackets aren’t delusional, but there are some in the front office who aren’t convinced he’s leaving this summer. Rule for life: Find somebody who looks at you the way Panarin looked at Jones before leaping into his arms after scoring the overtime game-winner versus Buffalo last month. Panarin is having a blast in Columbus, said agent Daniel Milstein. Still, there’s no sign that he’s willing to talk extension with the Blue Jackets. Right now, Panarin sees the Blue Jackets as his girlfriend, not his wife. But the Blue Jackets are going to need answers well before the Feb. 25 trade deadline, because if he’s not signing on the dotted line, they have to move on. Letting him walk with no return would be devastating. Milstein is expected in Columbus next month for a visit. Stay tuned.

Portzline: A list of which Blue Jackets are likely to be...

*eyes looking emoji*

Reactions: Palm Tree

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
So what exactly is inevitable?

I took it as, if there is no contract signed by the trade deadline, then a trade is inevitable. He doesn't really interpret his own meaning though.

The interesting stuff to me, is that some in the organization don't think he's leaving and his agent is visiting next month.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
If team is playing well it will be tough to trade Panarin. We simply can't get a good enough return for him in that case (no body willing to give up equal value for a rental) unless it's to shed a good player with bad contract if we're willing to eat a bad contract. But if team is playing well (hosting 1st round series would be my definition) then I would think we likely keep him and roll dice.
Now if team is not playing great then it makes it more likely we would trade him. Would be a tough sell to fans, but would be best for team to trade him for futures.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
"Letting him walk with no return would be devastating."

I agree, but other than some people posting fantasy trade returns, most of the returns for Panarin for the most part are a bunch of mediocre players. Something the Blue Jackets aren't in short supply of.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Bunch of mediocre players > nothing

If we can get one or two young NHL ready players back I think we'll be fine. They'll probably have some question marks attached to them, but it's better than getting absolutely nothing back

Reactions: thebus88

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
I agree, but other than some people posting fantasy trade returns, most of the returns for Panarin for the most part are a bunch of mediocre players. Something the Blue Jackets aren't in short supply of.

Rick Nash was acquired in exchange for a bunch of mediocre players.

The Northern American perspective easily also forgets the immense value that prospects and RFA's have under communist rules compared to free for all players such as Panarin. When you can have sole control of a NHL player for almost ten seasons it is quite the privilege to have.

Of course the downside of all is that the current Blue Jackets brand of hockey requires exceptional skill more than anything but you can find exceptional strengths in less heralded players as well. As long as you don't treat every vein pull as a sign of exceptional strength but truly understand the play.

Reactions: thebus88

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

If we can get one or two young NHL ready players back I think we'll be fine. They'll probably have some question marks attached to them, but it's better than getting absolutely nothing back

So hypothetically - would you prefer to keep Panarin and make it into round 3 of the playoffs, or trade Panarin for a bunch of mediocre players and get bounced in round 1? I would value a few playoff victories far higher than a couple middle 6 NHL players. And that's not to say I think we can't win a few playoff rounds without Panarin, either. Obviously this is wildly hypothetical.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I've said this a bunch before, but if the FO decides that having Panarin for a post-season run give the team a better chance of advancing, which is something that makes sense to me, I'd be OK if they held Artemi.

You said this better than I did.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
"Letting him walk with no return would be devastating."

I still can't get over how the kind of return we expect - think Toffoli-type and a draft pick - is imagined to save the Jackets from "devastation". If Panarin walking for nothing is devastation, then so is trading him for that. Porty is thinking in cliches.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
FWIW......I'm fine with whatever Jarmo decides to do. If this team is flying high and they keep him only to watch him walk to New York on July 1, that's fine. If they trade him for Triple P (Player - Pick-Prospect), then I'm fine too. I'm not going to quit watching. I know this goes into another thread, but if Bob decides he wont accept a trade, no way, no how and plays till they quit playing, I'm fine with that. I'll only be pissed if they go out in Round 1 again (regardless of his performance) and he then signs a Carey Price like contract.

My feeling is that Jarmo is going to try to sign both up until midnight 6-30. Panarin - he could back up the truck for him. He's 26. If Bob wants 7 or 8 million for 5 years fine. Otherwise, we thank you for your work and wish you well as you go on your way. If this club makes a deep run, Panarin might reconsider. He sure looks like he is having fun

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
guys its all nice that you speculate and all but in reality Im pretty sure that Jarmo knows more than any of us do. In fact its entirely possible that Bread told him something like #Im not sure yet#, or #if we as a team advance to the finals then Im willing to stay# or god knows what else.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
guys its all nice that you speculate and all but in reality Im pretty sure that Jarmo knows more than any of us do. In fact its entirely possible that Bread told him something like #Im not sure yet#, or #if we as a team advance to the finals then Im willing to stay# or god knows what else.

Panarin's (and Bobrovski's) contract demands have been already written on the backside of a cigarette pack, open for any organization, NHL or otherwise, to interpret.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

A bunch of mediocre players = nothing.

They are one in the same. Actually, the bunch of mediocre players might be worse because at least "nothing" doesn't cost ownership money and the team capspace.

Another way... let's assume that a sign and trade deal is impossible. That means every offer will value Panarin as a rental. That means a team thinks Panarin's play during the end of the season and playoffs will be more valuable than the assets they give up. This way, the Jackets are receiving assets which a team has adjudged as being less valuable than rental Panarin. Should the Jackets who are currently 1st in the Metro take that deal? Unlikely. If you were to reverse the situation, I am certain the Jackets would be one of the top teams linked to trying to acquire a rental Panarin in a trade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->