The Oilers cannot score when McDavid isn't involved

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
We’re not necessarily void of talent outside of him but none of the players who should be contributing really are. Like, watching most of the game we don’t feel like a threat to score, even McDavids magic plays don’t matter cause nobody else can finish off what he starts

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
And often decreases too, depending on what else is going on with this increase in ice time.

Since nobody has ever sat down with a single player past their development stage and dutifully plotted something like this out, nobody should be making any hard claims about what increasing a player's TOI might do because there's no evidence to suggest it's as simple as an increase in production.

There is reams of evidence that more ice time increases production.

very little evidence that p60 declines with more ice time, though. at least not without a better explanation present (I.e. tougher usage).

it is sorta ridiculous, really, to pretend ice time doesn't matter.

Sure, the stat is useful as any stat is properly used, but there's one crowd that generally uses it to insinuate a player's production would be on par with the comparison they don't like if they simply scaled up their ice time, and that isn't proper use of the stat.

define the proper usage of that stat, then. with an example or two of said proper usage.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What the Oilers need is a time machine so they can undo the Hall and Eberle trades. With that time machine, they could run with

Who cares Mcdavid Who cares
Hall Drai Eberle
Lucic RNH Puljajarvi

3 lines that can score. Hall driving his own line would have put the Oilers into powerhouse territory. Even minus Larsson on defence the Oilers are clearly a way better team before Chiarelli decided to put his mark on the team. Traded #1 and #2 picks of the 2010 draft RIGHT BEFORE they became superstars.

I don't really think the Eberle trade hurt too much.

He'd definitely be a cap casualty in that hypothetical lineup.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Go look at the list of leading scorers from the past number of seasons and count how many are near the top from teams not in the playoffs. Players who play on better teams score more, even the same players who scored much less when their team was lousy, coincidentally scored more once their team was playing better. There is much more to scoring then simply how many minutes you play. That is why points per 60 is a crap stat.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
McDavid has points on 100% of his team’s goals.

My question is, how far is he from setting statistical records?

-180 minutes into the season where he has been involved in every goal his team has scored
-3 games into the season where he has been involved in every goal his team has scored
-5 goals into the season where he has been involved in every goal his team has scored

I’m pretty sure that some of these are getting pretty close to setting statistical records.

If only he was a Maple Leaf. Then we'd know every super specific obscure record he's broken by now. :sarcasm:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What's the NHL record for most goals by a team where a player was on 100% of them to start the season?

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
What's the NHL record for most goals by a team where a player was on 100% of them to start the season?

I came to ask the same. Also, how many games to start the season with one player involved in every goal? Anyone?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The Oilers went from mediocre back to shit so fast.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I came to ask the same. Also, how many games to start the season with one player involved in every goal? Anyone?

The claim I saw on twitter was points on 7 consecutive goals to start the season - by Adam Oates. I have looked up Oates season starts and I don't believe that is true. I do remember Marchand recording points on Boston's first 5 goals of the season two years ago, and then again this year he recorded points on Boston's first 4 goals. So points on the team's first 5 goals or so is probably not uncommon. Points on every one of the teams goals for the first 3 games is probably more rare. Finding out the record for either is likely very tedious.

Reactions: Kahvi

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Recent highlights of McDavid and his teammates.

DentalFemaleHerald-max-1mb.gif

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
I gotta say that for some reason McDavid reminds me of Trevor in Trailer Park Boys. If I ever meet McDavid I will probably say to him right a way: ”Connor smokes lets go!”

Reactions: Captain And Coke

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
There is reams of evidence that more ice time increases production.

very little evidence that p60 declines with more ice time, though. at least not without a better explanation present (I.e. tougher usage).

it is sorta ridiculous, really, to pretend ice time doesn't matter.

define the proper usage of that stat, then. with an example or two of said proper usage.
You are right.... We should just pick our 5 best players and play them 60 minutes.... That's genius.... Are you part of the Oilers management???.....no really are you?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Just further cementing himself as the best player in the game today. Once the rest of the team picks it up he should be right at the top of the Art Ross race again.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The claim I saw on twitter was points on 7 consecutive goals to start the season - by Adam Oates. I have looked up Oates season starts and I don't believe that is true. I do remember Marchand recording points on Boston's first 5 goals of the season two years ago, and then again this year he recorded points on Boston's first 4 goals. So points on the team's first 5 goals or so is probably not uncommon. Points on every one of the teams goals for the first 3 games is probably more rare. Finding out the record for either is likely very tedious.

Turns out the Adam Oates claim is true. I could only easily go back to the start of 1987, and the previous year (his first full season in the league) he only 47 points. But he started 1986 with a point in Detroit's 6 - 1 loss to Quebec, then 4 points in a 4-3 win over Chicago and then points on the first two Detroit goals in their loss to the King's during their 3rd game. (the Wings top to scorers that year - Yzerman and Gallant had a combined 1 point on those 7 goals).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad