The Oilers cannot score when McDavid isn't involved

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Don't get me wrong McDavid is amazing but is he actually the best scorer in the league? Dude plays like 24min a game. Pretty sure there are lots of players who have a higher points / 60.

There is a point where you are exhausting the player and reducing their ability to contribute. McLellan does that with McDavid along with minimal effort with line matching, coupled with our lack of depth that lets teams fully focus in on him during all of his excessive ice time.

Reactions: McKappa

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
Don't get me wrong McDavid is amazing but is he actually the best scorer in the league? Dude plays like 24min a game. Pretty sure there are lots of players who have a higher points / 60.
Yeah, he has like 20% higher 5vs5 p/60 since entering the league than the next best scorer.

More questions?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
From the looks of it, McDavid could break the all-time record of points percentage on a teams goals.

The record was something like 50-55%, and held by... Selänne or Lemieux?

I don't know if Lemieux holds the record, but he had points on 57.3% of the Pens goals in 1988/89. He also missed 4 games that season so for the 76 games he played he had points on 59.2% of the Pens goals.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Yeah, he has like 20% higher 5vs5 p/60 since entering the league than the next best scorer.

More questions?

From the time McDavid entered the league until now he does have the highest 5v5 p/60, but it is just 2% ahead of Dadonov (who has a higher 5v5 p1/60 than McDavid). He also does not have 20% higher 5v5 p/60 than Barzal or Matthews.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
McDavid has points on 100% of his team’s goals.

My question is, how far is he from setting statistical records?

-180 minutes into the season where he has been involved in every goal his team has scored
-3 games into the season where he has been involved in every goal his team has scored
-5 goals into the season where he has been involved in every goal his team has scored

I’m pretty sure that some of these are getting pretty close to setting statistical records.

Reactions: Puck Dogg

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
It’s just so fun to watch that clown show day in and day out. A terrible team, top to bottom. Perpetual bottom feeder. I hope McDavid requests a trade soon, for the sake of his career

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
From the time McDavid entered the league until now he does have the highest 5v5 p/60, but it is just 2% ahead of Dadonov (who has a higher 5v5 p1/60 than McDavid). He also does not have 20% higher 5v5 p/60 than Barzal or Matthews.

So Dadonov could be 100 point player with more minutes. I don't think real life works like that.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't know. How about you watch him since he's come into the league and decide for yourself.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Best player in the world, he has no where near the help Crosby and Matthews get.

He would get 140 points on those teams.
On the Leafs no doubt. Probably would be up to 20 points already this season.

The talent around him in Edmonton and the idiotic coach + his archaic system is like pulling a 10,000,000 lb anchor.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
So Dadonov could be 100 point player with more minutes. I don't think real life works like that.

I responded to an erroneous claim with facts. Sorry you can't handle that and instead respond with something that has absolutely f*** all to do with what I said.

Reactions: JackFr

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I don't know if Lemieux holds the record, but he had points on 57.3% of the Pens goals in 1988/89. He also missed 4 games that season so for the 76 games he played he had points on 59.2% of the Pens goals.
Yes that's the nhl record. Would not surprise me if Mcdavid broke that. It's really unbelievable how incompetent they are when Mcdavid is not on the ice. At least that pens team had Paul Coffey.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
it often increases more than linearly, in fact.
And often decreases too, depending on what else is going on with this increase in ice time.

Since nobody has ever sat down with a single player past their development stage and dutifully plotted something like this out, nobody should be making any hard claims about what increasing a player's TOI might do because there's no evidence to suggest it's as simple as an increase in production.

Sure, the stat is useful as any stat is properly used, but there's one crowd that generally uses it to insinuate a player's production would be on par with the comparison they don't like if they simply scaled up their ice time, and that isn't proper use of the stat.

Reactions: theblackadder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad