The Oilers cannot score when McDavid isn't involved

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
What happened to draistle?

He has one point in two games.

I get my how he doesent look like the guy in the 2017 playoffs but a bit early my god

Wow you completely missed my point lmao

My post wasn’t about your point, I realized what your point was but I was adding to the topic that the guy you used for your point (Babcock) it could of been easier to understand if you said Bowman or Arbour.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Because their GM knows how to build a team to at least be competitive. McPhee knows the league and how it has changed to speed. So he drafted a majority of speedy players mixed in with some grit. All 4 lines on that team can go. Teams nowadays throw the puck into an open part of the ice and just go after it. Edmonton does not to this. They stand around, sit back and just let teams come at them like it's 2010 again. Chiarelli built a heavy team and the league is not like this anymore. He's stuck in the past.
I'm looking at the line up vs Boston and can you tell me exactly where these heavy players are? Kassian and Lucic sure. Then who? Boston is a way heavier team and they are doing pretty good.

Edmonton's problem is under performing players not named McDavid. Sometimes that can be due to something as simple as bad coaching and/or bad management. McDavid, Nugent Hopkins, Draisaitl, Puljujarvi; That's some pretty good fire power offensively if they all perform. Strome and Lucic are third line players with around 40pts a season, pretty decent. Yamamoto is a talanted young player. I do agree the D is not what you'd want so I'm not saying they are favourites to win the SC, but a better coach and better management should be able to get more out of this team.

Edit: Adam Larsson is a pretty good stay at home defenceman and Nurse is fast and has potential. Russell and Klefbom are decent to.

Edit 2. A new coach, one puck moving D and perhaps a Nylander type that can carry the puck. That would do wonders.

Reactions: 780il

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'm sorry to say it Oiler fans, but I can't blame McDavid if he asked for a trade. He really does deserve better.
Yes he deserves better, so do the fans. Mcdavid is the only reason we still watch this shitty joke of a team anymore. Everyone in Edmonton is fed up with the stupid GM's making ass trades/signings, then leaving it up to the shitty coaches on how to use those players.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Yes he deserves better, so do the fans. Mcdavid is the only reason we still watch this ****ty joke of a team anymore. Everyone in Edmonton is fed up with the stupid GM's making ass trades/signings, then leaving it up to the ****ty coaches on how to use those players.

Couldn't agree more.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Worst scoring depth in the league

I feel like this is one of those things that has been said so much that it kind of becomes a fact, but it isn't exactly true.

They're scoring depth isn't great, but they've got quite a few guys with a history of scoring 25-30+ points/season in their bottom six. I don't think it's a coincidence that these guys completely fell off a cliff after they started to play under McLellan.

Sharks fans can correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like he had the same issue with the Sharks. He would stack the top6 and just let the bottom six flounder.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
What’s lost in all this nonsense is how insane it is that the Sharks were so good during the first few McLellan years despite how awful McLellan is.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Here is Exhibit A for why they aren't scoring:
DpMaVraWwAQWCmR.jpg

(Credit to @ShutdownLine on Twitter.)

The non-McDavid lines carried the puck into the zone 7 times and recovered 3 of the 19 dump-ins.

That's 10 possessions in the offensive zone for all 5v5 minutes in the game for them.

There's no way McLellan doesn't have this information. He is just stupidly stubborn with this prehistoric dump and chase system.

What the Oilers need is a time machine so they can undo the Hall and Eberle trades. With that time machine, they could run with

Who cares Mcdavid Who cares
Hall Drai Eberle
Lucic RNH Puljajarvi

3 lines that can score. Hall driving his own line would have put the Oilers into powerhouse territory. Even minus Larsson on defence the Oilers are clearly a way better team before Chiarelli decided to put his mark on the team. Traded #1 and #2 picks of the 2010 draft RIGHT BEFORE they became superstars.

Reactions: PuckG

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Has there been any changes in their scouting/player development staff over the years? That seems to me the place they have to start with. You have to be able to round out your roster from the draft in the NHL these days. Either by developing the players or trading them while they still have that prospect shine. Their drafting record outside of the couple studs picked top-5 is pretty poor.

This was how their scouting staff was in 2009-10, the season when Oilers ended last, won the lottery and drafted Hall.
Dir. of Amateur Scouting - Stu MacGregor - Gone in 2015, now in Kamloops Blazers
Dir. of Professional Scouting - Morey Gare - Gone in 2015
Scout - Mike Abbamont - Gone in 2014, now with Senators
Scout - Bob Brown - Gone in 2018
Scout - Chris Cichocki - Still in
Scout - Bill Dandy - Gone in 2018
Scout - Brad Davis - Gone in 2015
Scout - Kent Hawley - Gone in 2015, now with Golden Knights
Scout - Billy Moores - became director of coaching, gone in 2018
Scout - Frantisek Musil - Gone in 2017, now with Sabres
Scout - Kent Nilsson - Gone in 2010
Scout - Robert Nordmark - Gone in 2015, now with Leafs
Scout - Dave Semenko - RIP

Heritage

Jan 17, 2016
Halifax
McDavid is an incredible athlete.

They need to change either the talent surrounding him, or the way the team is coached.

Either way, something needs to be done for the fans of this team, and Connor McDavid himself.

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
From the looks of it, McDavid could break the all-time record of points percentage on a teams goals.

The record was something like 50-55%, and held by... Selänne or Lemieux?

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I always find it cute when HF decides to put EDM in the playoffs as if they are some proven power in the NHL. One great player does not a team make.

Fiji Water

Jan 16, 2004
Don't get me wrong McDavid is amazing but is he actually the best scorer in the league? Dude plays like 24min a game. Pretty sure there are lots of players who have a higher points / 60.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Don't get me wrong McDavid is amazing but is he actually the best scorer in the league? Dude plays like 24min a game. Pretty sure there are lots of players who have a higher points / 60.

He is definitely the best scorer. He has to play so much because the rest of the lines are... not so good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad