The Oilers cannot score when McDavid isn't involved

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Don't get me wrong McDavid is amazing but is he actually the best scorer in the league? Dude plays like 24min a game. Pretty sure there are lots of players who have a higher points / 60.
Not this again. The old points per 60 chestnut.
We should just get rid of the Art Ross and give a trophy to the best points per 60. Give the Rocket to the best goals per 60 minutes at even strength.
That’s the true measure of greatness!
The way stats get cherry picked around here is amazing.

Reactions: Khomutov and JSlick

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
Don't get me wrong McDavid is amazing but is he actually the best scorer in the league? Dude plays like 24min a game. Pretty sure there are lots of players who have a higher points / 60.

He would score more but his hands are full, because he’s carrying the rest of the team.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
There is reams of evidence that more ice time increases production.

very little evidence that p60 declines with more ice time, though. at least not without a better explanation present (I.e. tougher usage).

it is sorta ridiculous, really, to pretend ice time doesn't matter.

define the proper usage of that stat, then. with an example or two of said proper usage.
Is there really that much evidence that suggests going from 21 min a game to 24 will help your production? Which also separates, say an extra 3 min of PP time from actual 5on5?

It's not unlikely that playing a few minutes less will help you battle with higher intensity later on in the season and thusly be more productive.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
McDavid has only played in 3 of 82 Oilers games scheduled to play this season. Bust

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Is there really that much evidence that suggests going from 21 min a game to 24 will help your production? Which also separates, say an extra 3 min of PP time from actual 5on5?

It's not unlikely that playing a few minutes less will help you battle with higher intensity later on in the season and thusly be more productive.

Some of that 24 minutes is meaningless PK time too, McDavid often plays the second half/second minute of a PK for the Oilers, remove that and that probably takes a chunk off his minutes per game.

Playing more minutes doesn't magically come for free, it means you are more tired at the end of a game and have less in the tank as the season wears on.

If you could just play players more and get way more points/goals, every team would do it with their star players, reality doesn't work like that.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It’s the 2nd week of October.
I know that but what I stated is a fact. I'm sure his icetime will drop as the season goes on. Since he has been involved in every Oilers goal so far they want to give him even more ice time.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
He's the best player in the league, he should be playing 25 minutes a night. I think this is the year that they really push his limits, he's in his physical prime, they're going to be relying on him more than ever.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I know that but what I stated is a fact. I'm sure his icetime will drop as the season goes on. Since he has been involved in every Oilers goal so far they want to give him even more ice time.
It's trivial right now. That almost never happens anymore. The last time a forward exceeded even an avg. of 23 minutes was 5 seasons ago when Kovalachuk would stay out for power plays at a time, and the several other examples, (Richards, St. Louis, Brind'Amour), are from seasons right after the lockout when they were calling like 10 penalties every night.

JSlick

Oct 17, 2016
Edmonton
The secondary scoring will eventually come, but forcing McD to play so many minutes and bail them out defensively and offensively is just going to wear him down and more susceptible in the long run. At least things looked better today.

God Chia is f***ing horrendous. He's had so much leverage coming into this position and he's managed to make everything 10x worse.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
The secondary scoring will eventually come, but forcing McD to play so many minutes and bail them out defensively and offensively is just going to wear him down and more susceptible in the long run. At least things looked better today.

God Chia is ****ing horrendous. He's had so much leverage coming into this position and he's managed to make everything 10x worse.
yep its so depressing as an oilers fan. sigh

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Edmonton. Where 1st overall picks go to die. I dont think even mcjesus can escape this fate.

Acckkktually

I think McDavid's current form is evidence that Edmonton truly had bad luck with the Yakupov and RNH picks. 1st overalls are supposed to be McDavid, Mackinnon, Matthews, Eichel, etc level. To get a player like Yakupov for 1st overall is just insane, RNH is a bit of a let down. Hall is what he is and it's so stupid they traded him for a #2 defenceman that scores like 15 - 20 points a year.

Mcjesus is always going to be great no matter what team he is on. It's a real shame the Oilers didn't manage to build a powerhouse team with all the assets they pissed away. At some point they will, McDavid is so good you just need decent depth to get there.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

I think we all can agree that if you take a player who averages 20 minutes a game and play him 40, his output isn't going to double.

So we can conclude that there is a point where more ice time isn't beneficial, that there is a sweet spot maximum p/60.

Reactions: DenOnde

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Not this again. The old points per 60 chestnut.
We should just get rid of the Art Ross and give a trophy to the best points per 60. Give the Rocket to the best goals per 60 minutes at even strength.
That’s the true measure of greatness!
The way stats get cherry picked around here is amazing.

It's an important stat though no?

You gonna compare McDavid points at 24 mins to a 3rd liner who gets 12 mins?

That's not legitimate at all.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
No Nylander though....which hurts.

upload_2018-10-14_3-8-49.png

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Imagine if the oilers draft Barzal and Aho instead of giving those picks away for Reinhart, keep Hall, draft Tkachuk or one of McAvoy/Sergachev instead of Paajarvi 2, and a PMD like Jokiharju instead of another small winger in Yamamoto.

There was a ton of obvious easy post McDavid moves that could have made the Oilers on par with the 80s Oilers and Chiarelli just completely shat the bed.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Imagine if the oilers draft Barzal and Aho instead of giving those picks away for Reinhart, keep Hall, draft Tkachuk or one of McAvoy/Sergachev instead of Paajarvi 2, and a PMD like Jokiharju instead of another small winger in Yamamoto.

There was a ton of obvious easy post McDavid moves that could have made the Oilers on par with the 80s Oilers and Chiarelli just completely shat the bed.

Oilers also could have drafted DeBrincat, who was McDavid's teammate (linemate?) in Erie which would've made for some great instant chemistry.

Hall-McDavid-DeBrincat
Draisaitl-RNH-Barzal

Klefbom-Sergachev
Nurse-Sekera

Talbot

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton

Just imagine if we would've drafted Datsyuk, Benn, Lidstrom, etc. in their drafts too!

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Oilers also could have drafted DeBrincat, who was McDavid's teammate (linemate?) in Erie which would've made for some great instant chemistry.

Hall-McDavid-DeBrincat
Draisaitl-RNH-Barzal

Klefbom-Sergachev

Talbot

Hall McDavid DeBrincat
Aho Barzal Eberle
Caiggula RNH Drasaitl

Klefbom McAvoy
Nurse Jokiharju

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Just imagine if we would've drafted Datsyuk, Benn, Lidstrom, etc. in their drafts too!

Yeah because Barzal/Aho/Tkachuk were complete unknowns in their draft years rather than no shit choices at their picks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad