The Official Training Camp Thread (Warning, Post #310)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Really intriguing line rushes, you can kind of flesh out what they are trying to do I think.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Kenins-Horvat-Burrows
Gaunce-McCann-Hansen

Then a cluster**** of everyone else, IMO. I would guess it ends up being Prust-Sutter-Dorsett with Baertschi and Cracknell as the extra two, IMO. That gives you five centers on the roster. Grenier & Vey to Utica, Virtanen to junior.

This seems to be what they might be leaning towards. Gaunce sent down when Higgins returns.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
Very true. I thought Biega was right there with Hutton last night and they were a good pairing. Hutton though brings one thing the Canucks are sorely lacking on the blue line. Offensive upside.

Defensemen not playing on their normal sides is a big change. The angle of forehand and backhand passes change, even though you'd think it's a minor change. If Hutton were to play on the right, he would have to open up his forehand to the forecheck and risk getting picked off in order to make the pass. With Hutton on the left, however, the puck is farther from the opposing player so it's easier to make plays.

Essentially, all the factors that make Hutton so great right now (his passing and patience) would be negated by switching to the right side. Therefore, it's very likely to ruin his game. I mean, just think of all those times he has held the offensive blue-line by chipping it off the boards... it's just so much harder and riskier doing it on your off-side.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Defensemen not playing on their normal sides is a big change. The angle of forehand and backhand passes change, even though you'd think it's a minor change. If Hutton were to play on the right, he would have to open up his forehand to the forecheck and risk getting picked off in order to make the pass. With Hutton on the left, however, the puck is farther from the opposing player so it's easier to make plays.

Essentially, all the factors that make Hutton so great right now (his passing and patience) would be negated by switching to the right side. Therefore, it's very likely to ruin his game. I mean, just think of all those times he has held the offensive blue-line by chipping it off the boards... it's just so much harder and riskier doing it on your off-side.

... he has been our 3rd-best LH defender, though. Outplayed Bartkowski and especially Sbisa by a mile. Shouldn't the more important asset to the organization be the one that is accommodated when he's playing better?

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
... he has been our 3rd-best LH defender, though. Outplayed Bartkowski and especially Sbisa by a mile. Shouldn't the more important asset to the organization be the one that is accommodated when he's playing better?

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Hutton should play on his normal side - the left. Sbisa or Bartkowski can play their offside - the right - as they've done it in the past and their game doesn't really depend on it, since they can't make breakout passes anyways. Bartkowski's is based on skating, so he can open angles if necessary, and Sbisa's is based on... well, ask Benning, but whatever it is, it's not passing and patience. Their games shouldn't be as affected by playing on the right.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015

I totally agree and would much rather have Hutton on his natural side. Looking back there was nothing in the line rushes that even mentioned Hutton on the right. Only Scurr saying how he/she would line them up.

For Me,

Edler Tanev
Hammer Weber
Hutton Bartkowski
Sbisa (just because i KNOW Benning doesn't waive him)

Or if they wanted to experiment in no real particular order of ice time.

Edler Weber
Hutton Tanev
Hammer Bartkowski
Sbisa

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata?

What a stroke of genius.

I'm liking that it looks as though they're really thinking about going back to that well.

I think that's probably how you get the most out of Vrbata, and i think it also kinda helps set the rest of the lines up better. Burrows being the more versatile player, kind of fits better in a number of spots. RW or LW if needed, seems like a fit with any of Bo/McCann/Sutter...i think can really help defensively and in transition for any of those lines.

Not that Sedins+Vrbata has to be a permanent fixture or anything...but i like it as a starting point.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I totally agree and would much rather have Hutton on his natural side. Looking back there was nothing in the line rushes that even mentioned Hutton on the right. Only Scurr saying how he/she would line them up.

I would go with

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Weber
Hutton Corrado

/Bartkowski, Sbisa

But, chances are Hutton is sent down and Corrado is healthy scratched for Sbisa :cry:

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
I would go with

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Weber
Hutton Corrado

/Bartkowski, Sbisa

But, chances are Hutton is sent down and Corrado is healthy scratched for Sbisa :cry:
Bart deserves to be in the top 6 especially since he's been playing RD.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Looks like maybe Baertschi, Prust and Vey (because he's being tried out of position on a weird line) are being considered for 13th and 14th forwards at the moment, although it's puzzling that Baertschi would then be on the second unit power play.

If this is how they're thinking at the moment, it would actually be... justified. Actually I could see Prust coming in and out of the lineup over the course of the season, possibly alternating with someone like Dorsett, basically taking his turn to get punched.

Not looking that great for Virtanen, but who knows. I haven't been impressed, but then preseason isn't over, either. If he's cut, there is still Kenins around to hit people really hard.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
yup.. 2nd pairing Dman on the 2nd ranked PK in the league.

Nope. Sbisa was statistically the worst PKer the canucks had at shot suppression.

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/3/19/should-the-canucks-re-sign-luca-sbisa

Sbisa has also seen rather significant time on the penalty kill, and if Botchford's opinion is accurate, Vancouver sees this as a positive. They really shouldn't though, as Sbisa is a well below average penalty killer in a group of elite ones, and not just by relative measures either. Of the 111 NHL D that have seen over 100 minutes of penalty kill time this season, Sbisa is 69th in shots against per minute, and a significantly worse shot suppressor than Chris Tanev, Alex Edler, Kevin Bieksa, and Dan Hamhuis. Relative to his teammates, Sbisa has the 7th worst shorthanded shots against per minute rate of this same group of 111 regular penalty killing defenders.

Nice try though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1