The Official Training Camp Thread (Warning, Post #310)

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
To make it easier for everyone, here are the practice lines:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Dorsett - Sutter - Vey
Gaunce - McCann - Hansen
Kenins - Horvat - Burrows/Grenier
Prust/Baertschi - Cracknell - Virtanen/Prust

Powerplay Units:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Sutter - Edler

Baertschi - Horvat - Burrows
Weber - Hutton

Out of everything here, the PP2 is the most intriguing for me. It's showing that they are serious about Hutton on the team.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
All I see is them trying to desperately find a spot for Vey. He was tried on the wing last year. He wasn't good. He was switched to center because of injuries but wasn't good. This camp he hasn't been good. Time to admit he isn't good I'd think. I certainly wouldn't be giving him playing time over the kids at this point. he's shown what he has to show.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Dorsett - Sutter - Vey
Gaunce - McCann - Hansen

Powerplay Units:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Sutter - Edler

Weber - Hutton

Looks to me like Virtanen will be sent back to Calgary, and Baertschi could be the 13th forward. Should be Prust on the outside looking in though.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
I can't help but interpret the "get a further look at him" as "find reasons to give when I send him down to junior so Vey can have the spot".

At some point, they have to ask themselves "when we say a rookie has to outplay a vet, by what margin do we mean?" Because on a pure yes or no scale, McCann has outplayed Vey. But what more do they want? I mean, McCann has been a shining star these last couple games and Vey has done absolutely nothing the whole camp. What more does McCann need to prove just to take the 4C spot?

Out of everything here, the PP2 is the most intriguing for me. It's showing that they are serious about Hutton on the team.

Same here. My only change would've been McCann instead of Baertschi but that's a fine group. Want to see what it can do.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I definitely feel like Vey and the others who were put out in the last minute of the last game with the empty net were told "this is your last chance to prove that you deserve to keep your spot"

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Sutter with Edler on the points for the first powerplay unit? Hopefully that is a very short experiment. Sutter shouldn't be anywhere near the first unit and Edler is only good for sniping shin-pads.

Weber - Hutton should be our powerplay point men if this team is serious about contending.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Interesting, it doesn't seem meaningless to Coach Willie.

“I haven’t seen him play his best,” said Desjardins. “I see a guy who’s big and a good skater and who understands the game real well, but just hasn’t got that involved.....

“...... But l just want to see him harder on pucks, go harder to the net, and get involved.”

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/h...ith+canucks+doesn+concern/11400645/story.html

What's more troubling to me is the supposed faceoff expert Sutter is 6 for 21 in the circle so far and went 0/6 against Monahan. Considering that was supposed to be one of the few "upgrades" Sutter brought over Bonino.

Sutter is so far exactly what the Pens fans told us he would be. An average 3 line center. Plays soft and on the perimeter. Avg in the faceoff circle.
Nobody in their right mind ever should have given that assertion any credence to begin with though-- Sutter has never been a good faceoff guy (at his best, he's a 50% guy and normally below that)-- why would he suddenly be one now that Benning is randomly pulling it out of his a**?

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Looks to me like Virtanen will be sent back to Calgary, and Baertschi could be the 13th forward. Should be Prust on the outside looking in though.

Looks like messages to some vets imo.

Sutter -The guy being "handed" the 2nd line centre spot is now playing with Dorsett and a guy barely hanging onto the roster bubble.

Vey -The guy being "handed" the 4th line centre spot has now been moved to the wing where there is more competition for a roster spot.

Prust -Hopefully he's the guy without a line and working in. He's been bad.

Kenins -I'm surprised he is still being given so much opportunity. IMO he's in the group of disappointments with Baertschi and Vey… though I missed his game with the twins.

---

I'd still keep Virtanen on the team. IMO he has outplayed everyone on the wing outside of Gaunce despite clearly needing some more polish. I think they can polish him here… it sure didn't seem to happen for him in junior last season.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Gaunce-Horvat-Hansen
Burrows-Sutter-Dorsett
Virtanen-McCann-Craknell
Prust-Baertschi

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Hutton
Sbisa-Bartkowski
Weber

Miller-Markstrom

I'd prefer to keep Corrado and waive Prust but we might be able to sneak Frankie down.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Dorsett - Sutter - Vey
Gaunce - McCann - Hansen

Powerplay Units:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Sutter - Edler

Weber - Hutton

That is one heck of a soft line up. If we're not winning, we're going to be rag-dolled. Yikes.

And yeah, Grenier and Cracknell aren't making the opening day roster (our actually gritty guys). Looks like Prust and Dorsett are a shoe-in.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Looks like messages to some vets imo.

Sutter -The guy being "handed" the 2nd line centre spot is now playing with Dorsett and a guy barely hanging onto the roster bubble.

Vey -The guy being "handed" the 4th line centre spot has now been moved to the wing where there is more competition for a roster spot.

Prust -Hopefully he's the guy without a line and working in. He's been bad.

Kenins -I'm surprised he is still being given so much opportunity. IMO he's in the group of disappointments with Baertschi and Vey… though I missed his game with the twins.

---

I'd still keep Virtanen on the team. IMO he has outplayed everyone on the wing outside of Gaunce despite clearly needing some more polish. I think they can polish him here… it sure didn't seem to happen for him in junior last season.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Gaunce-Horvat-Hansen
Burrows-Sutter-Dorsett
Virtanen-McCann-Craknell
Prust-Baertschi

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Hutton
Sbisa-Bartkowski
Weber

Miller-Markstrom

I'd prefer to keep Corrado and waive Prust but we might be able to sneak Frankie down.

I like that lineup, except Cracknell has no business being on this team. Dump him and keep either Corrado or Kenins.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Thats really to bad if he is.I think we can use the size up front.Baertschi has not shown nothing to war rent a spot in this line up,but neither has a lot of our vets.And if Vey wins a spot over McCann or Gaunce i am going to be P--ssed.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Dorsett - Sutter - Vey
Gaunce - McCann - Hansen

Powerplay Units:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Sutter - Edler

Weber - Hutton

Looks like a wake up call for Sutter. Yet another experiment to try and find a spot for Vey.

I like the McCann line and Kenins had his best shifts with Horvat last year.

Not crazy about Edler on the 1st unit PP and I'v never heard Sutter has either a booming shot or get playmaking skills to have him on the point.

Would rather have McCann on the 2nd unit PP than Baertschi.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I like that lineup, except Cracknell has no business being on this team. Dump him and keep either Corrado or Kenins.

I think they have to keep Craknell or Vey… you can't have no centre behind McCann. Craknell has outplayed Vey and would be pretty good in that 4th line role imo. For a guy that hasn't been playing centre he has looked pretty good.
---
Do people like the way Kenins has been playing or is he getting the benefit of doubt based on how he played last season? I think Craknell and Virtanen have both outplayed him.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
I highly doubt they'd have two rookies on the same line (i.e. McCann and Gaunce/Virtanen). Just the way they insisted on insulating Horvat last season, I don't see how two rookies line up together, especially on the fourth line, which should be used to keep/build momentum, not kill it.

Not saying I think they would get hemmed in their own zone, but I think that's management's perspective. I'd be happy to be proved wrong though.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Surprised so many people feel comfortable with Hutton playing on his off side. As of today I'd go with:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Sven - Horvat - Vrbata
Gaunce - McCann - Hansen
Kenins - Sutter - Dorsett

Extra: Prust

- Waive Vey
- If they really want to give JV 9 games, then have him in Kenins spot and call Kenins back up if he's sent back.
- Gaunce and McCann can switch positions on that line
- I considered starting Sven on the third line in favour of whoever is playing wing between McCann/Gaunce and having one of them play LW on Horvat's line

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bart/Weber
Hutton - Bart/Weber

Extras: Biega, Corrado

- Waive Sbisa
- Don't feel comfortable with Hutton or Hamhuis playing RHD.

Miller
Markstrom

- Higgins on short term IR

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
Surprised so many people feel comfortable with Hutton playing on his off side. As of today I'd go with:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Sven - Horvat - Vrbata
Gaunce - McCann - Hansen
Kenins - Sutter - Dorsett

Extra: Prust

- Waive Vey
- If they really want to give JV 9 games, then have him in Kenins spot and call Kenins back up if he's sent back.
- Gaunce and McCann can switch positions on that line
- I considered starting Sven on the third line in favour of whoever is playing wing between McCann/Gaunce and having one of them play LW on Horvat's line

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bart/Weber
Hutton - Bart/Weber

Extras: Biega, Corrado

- Waive Sbisa
- Don't feel comfortable with Hutton or Hamhuis playing RHD.

Miller
Markstrom

- Higgins on short term IR

Could be Hammer playing on his offside. No real context to the way the lines were relayed.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I highly doubt they'd have two rookies on the same line (i.e. McCann and Gaunce/Virtanen). Just the way they insisted on insulating Horvat last season, I don't see how two rookies line up together, especially on the fourth line, which should be used to keep/build momentum, not kill it.

Not saying I think they would get hemmed in their own zone, but I think that's management's perspective. I'd be happy to be proved wrong though.

Surprised so many people feel comfortable with Hutton playing on his off side.

Both good points.

Could be Hammer playing on his offside. No real context to the way the lines were relayed.

Hammer pretty much refuses to play the rs.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Dorsett - Sutter - Vey
Gaunce - McCann - Hansen

Powerplay Units:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Sutter - Edler

Weber - Hutton

Nice McCann/Gaunce both getting a real shot of being our third line. McCann should be on PP2 instead of Bae.

Sutter and Dorsett both getting demoted to 4th line status both are really good fits on the 4th line, salary aside. Vey getting yet another shot as the 4RW.

Kenins getting a chance to shine with Horvat, I have a feeling he knows he'll start in the AHL if he doesn't show up because of his waiver status.

Cracknell-Virtanen-Bae should all be in the minors/juniors. No emotional attachement to Bae so for me he hasn't looked like he deserves anything more than a 13F spot.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
Both good points.

Hammer pretty much refuses to play the rs.

Could also be them just seeing if Hutton can play on his offside. Fact of the matter is the Canucks are deep on the Left

Edler
Hamhuis
Bartkowski
Pizza
Hutton

and shallow on the natural righties

Tanev
Weber
Corrado.

Hutton is sadly not going to break in this year on his natural side. Bartkowski played last year on his offside but that still leaves Elder,Hamhuis and PIzza on the left before Hutton. He has a much better chance sticking this year if he can show he can play as well on the right side as he has on the left.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Could also be them just seeing if Hutton can play on his offside. Fact of the matter is the Canucks are deep on the Left

Edler
Hamhuis
Bartkowski
Pizza
Hutton

and shallow on the natural righties

Tanev
Weber
Corrado.

Hutton is sadly not going to break in this year on his natural side. Bartkowski played last year on his offside but that still leaves Elder,Hamhuis and PIzza on the left before Hutton. He has a much better chance sticking this year if he can show he can play as well on the right side as he has on the left.

No love for Biega? He's been flying under the radar but has looked like a NHL calibre #5/6, no idea if he's been that good in Utica though.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
No love for Biega? He's been flying under the radar but has looked like a NHL calibre #5/6, no idea if he's been that good in Utica though.

Very true. I thought Biega was right there with Hutton last night and they were a good pairing. Hutton though brings one thing the Canucks are sorely lacking on the blue line. Offensive upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad