The Official Training Camp Thread (Warning, Post #310)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Vancouver Canucks 2015 Main Camp Schedule (subject to change)
Sept. 17, 10:00 a.m. Rogers Arena Media Availability (Media access through Gate 16)

Sept. 18, 9:00 a.m. CN Centre (Prince George) On-Ice (1st group) 11:20 a.m. CN Centre (PG) On-Ice (2nd group)

Sept. 19, 9:00 a.m. CN Centre (Prince George) On-Ice (1st group) 11:20 a.m. CN Centre (PG) On-Ice (2nd group)

Sept. 20, 9:45 a.m. CN Centre (Prince George) Power Play Practice (mostly veterans) 11:20 a.m. CN Centre (PG) Intra-Squad Scrimmage (mostly prospects)

Camp Roster: http://canucks.nhl.com/v2/ext/Training Camp Roster (Vets).pdf

Link to Training Camp Information Page: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=778642

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Anyone coming up here for camp? I know the city is very excited, tickets sold VERY well. People are all over the local social media feeds looking for tickets, some people will be making money. Looking at Stubhub, there is no doubt.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Yannick Weber sure is young....

I guess Benning did make our team younger. Weber brings down our team's average age by quite a bit. :laugh:

ZuDNHgi.png

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
We won more than we lost at a shinny prospects tournament which is kind of cool.

Hopefully Virtanen can build some momentum.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Yannick Weber sure is young.... and Bo Horvat busy last year playing 136 games, hopefully he can get more rested this season....

The Canucks wanted to get younger and are now the youngest team in the league by far. I haven't done the arithmetic to determine whether their average age is actually positive or negative.

They wanted Horvat to develop and managed to get him almost a full season in Utica and almost a full season in Vancouver without wasting two seasons to do it!

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
so this pretty much means all of junior guys will b back (in junior) for this weekends games (qmjhl)?

Canucks play 4 games in 6 days. I don't expect any of the vets to play more than 1 or 2 of those games. That pretty much means a lot of extra bodies are going to be kept around for about a week.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Canucks play 4 games in 6 days. I don't expect any of the vets to play more than 1 or 2 of those games. That pretty much means a lot of extra bodies are going to be kept around for about a week.

It also makes sense because they have several young'uns competing for spots. It should be an entertaining preseason.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Honestly I just wanna see what Bart, Sutter, and Prust look like in their new unis. Kinda pathetic that seeing them in their unis is what I'm looking forward to the most.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
pretty excited to see how horvat and baertschi have progressed over the summer because their progression is critical to this team scoring enough goals to survive

got to just hope they go through camp without suffering any major injuries, especially on the defensive end

will be hilarious if we see taylor fedun on the canucks opening day roster

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
pretty excited to see how horvat and baertschi have progressed over the summer because their progression is critical to this team scoring enough goals to survive

got to just hope they go through camp without suffering any major injuries, especially on the defensive end

will be hilarious if we see taylor fedun on the canucks opening day roster

I hope so, were need those two to take a big leap forward to offset the rest of the offseason.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
it's times like this when i miss dan russell's old sportstalk show. he used to broadcast from training camp and he'd have a great guest list each night.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I am hoping there are some surprises coming out of camp, kids that make the team and that sort of thing.

I'd say Virtanen but Benning has been drooling since last September about him making the team this year. I could see McCann/Cassels pushing for a spot and getting the 4th line center spot. It will be up to Benning though to make the room and that might come with other teams trying to do,last minute adjustments.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I'd say Virtanen but Benning has been drooling since last September about him making the team this year. I could see McCann/Cassels pushing for a spot and getting the 4th line center spot. It will be up to Benning though to make the room and that might come with other teams trying to do,last minute adjustments.

It'd be McCann over Cassels. Cassels will be in the AHL improving his pace. McCann can't go there.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I don't see McCann making the team and Cassels will start in Utica

I believe Virtanen gets his 9 games, its his position to lose

Gaunce MIGHT make the 13th forward being a winger\centre hybrid if he continues to play like he has.....but the posse is full with Kenins, Dorsett, Prust, Hansen, Vey?, Higgins and Sutter

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I don't see McCann making the team and Cassels will start in Utica

I believe Virtanen gets his 9 games, its his position to lose

Gaunce MIGHT make the 13th forward being a winger\centre hybrid if he continues to play like he has.....but the posse is full with Kenins, Dorsett, Prust, Hansen, Vey?, Higgins and Sutter

McCann or Cassels could potentially make the team, but only if they greatly out perform Linden Vey, who is currently 4th on the depth chart at C. I don't think anyone want to move either to the wing. An injury at the C position could also open up a spot, but with any of Henrik, Horvat or Sutter out of the line up this team is going to suck.

Gaunce has the advantage that he has more utility that other wingers as he can W or C, is big enough to bang and grind and skilled enough to play with more skilled players.

Kenins was good for us last season but his scoring was a bit unexpected and he did tail off a bit at the end of the season and the playoffs. His roster spot is not secure; he has build on the good things he did after his call up last year to prevent others from passing him.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
McCann or Cassels could potentially make the team, but only if they greatly out perform Linden Vey, who is currently 4th on the depth chart at C. I don't think anyone want to move either to the wing. An injury at the C position could also open up a spot, but with any of Henrik, Horvat or Sutter out of the line up this team is going to suck.

Gaunce has the advantage that he has more utility that other wingers as he can W or C, is big enough to bang and grind and skilled enough to play with more skilled players.

Kenins was good for us last season but his scoring was a bit unexpected and he did tail off a bit at the end of the season and the playoffs. His roster spot is not secure; he has build on the good things he did after his call up last year to prevent others from passing him.
Don't forget Cracknell and Blair Jones.

Our center depth right now looks something like...

Henrik
Sutter
Horvat
Vey

Jones
Cracknell
Freisen
Cassels
McCann

We'll see how it stands after camp... but in order for McCann to get a regular season gm this yr... he REALLY needs to do something special at camp vs the pros. His rookie camp didn't suggest he was on the verge of doing that this week.

Also Vey is the type of player that will look good vs pre-season weakened rosters... like he did last preseason. Say what you will about the season he had, but he's still star level AHL player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad