The Official Training Camp Thread (Warning, Post #310)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Bachmann, Cracknell, Kenins and Corrado are no brainers.

I'm guessing the other two will be Biega and McCann.

Bachmann's gone now, so true. Cracknell I think will go down as well.

The big question for me regarding Kenins and Corrado is; are either of them waiver eligible? If so, I don't know that it's such a no-brainer.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
Taylor Fedun cleared waivers, so he's off to Utica. (or more correctly, Lyon, France?)

Players left on the roster:

F:
47 Sven Baertschi
14 Alexandre Burrows
24 Adam Cracknell
15 Derek Dorsett
50 Brendan Gaunce
36 Jannik Hansen
20 Chris Higgins **
53 Bo Horvat
41 Ronalds Kenins
51 Jared McCann
9 Brandon Prust
22 Daniel Sedin "A"
33 Henrik Sedin "C"
21 Brandon Sutter
7 Linden Vey
77 Jake Virtanen
17 Radim Vrbata

Total: 18 (including Higgins, who is injured)

D:
44 Matt Bartkowski
55 Alex Biega
26 Frank Corrado
23 Alexander Edler
2 Dan Hamhuis
60 Ben Hutton
5 Luca Sbisa
8 Christopher Tanev
6 Yannick Weber

Total: 9

G:
Richard Bachmann
Jacob Markstrom
Ryan Miller

Total: 3

Total Roster: 30

So we have 1 injury, and 6 to cut. Bachmann is the no brainer to be cut, bringing that down to 5.

Who slick Willie will go with:

47 Sven Baertschi
14 Alexandre Burrows
15 Derek Dorsett
36 Jannik Hansen
20 Chris Higgins **
53 Bo Horvat
9 Brandon Prust
22 Daniel Sedin "A"
33 Henrik Sedin "C"
21 Brandon Sutter
7 Linden Vey
17 Radim Vrbata
24 Adam Cracknell
77 Jake Virtanen (9 games or Higgins comes back)

44 Matt Bartkowski
26 Frank Corrado
23 Alexander Edler
2 Dan Hamhuis
60 Ben Hutton
5 Luca Sbisa
8 Christopher Tanev
6 Yannick Weber

I think Willie has liked Hutton's game enough he is going to give him a shot out of camp. I think the Canucks will go with 13 forwards and 8 D to start the year. I think the team feels they need to decide if Corrado is spare parts now or not more than if McCann or Gaunce needs to be on the opening roster.

Line while Higgins is out:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen (even Wille can't **** that one up can he?)
Burrows-Sutter-Hansen
Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett (Willie likes this line)
Vey

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bartkowski
Hutton-Sbisa
Weber,Corrado

I think Weber/Hutton/Corrado will be sharing time until Hutton proves Corrado expendable if h gets selected on waivers.

Miller
Markstrom

No way after this summer anyone but Miller gets the #1 tag.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Bachmann's gone now, so true. Cracknell I think will go down as well.

The big question for me regarding Kenins and Corrado is; are either of them waiver eligible? If so, I don't know that it's such a no-brainer.

I *believe* Corrado is but Kenins is exempt. At this point I think there is too much "fear" put into waiving a player down to the minors. Corrado is (at the moment) a marginal NHL prospect with very little league-wide exposure. What team is going to claim him and stick them on their 23-man roster based on his recent play? Ditto for Vey. Both these players would likely clear (Corrado more so than Vey I suppose) because they aren't clear upgrades for any team in the league and you can't claim a player and then send them down for further development yourself. St. Louis waived MPS the other day - a player with much higher pedigree and profile than either Corrado or Vey - and he cleared.

While I value asset management and agree you can't lose pieces for nothing (the Grabner deal still bugs me), at some point you have to acknowledge that better players are being blocked and limited in their own development by lesser players who you are afraid of "losing for nothing". But the opportunity cost of keeping those lesser assets on the roster isn't zero.

*Edit: I should be clear, I'm not taking you to task on any of those things. Just using your post as a leaping point for some "frustrations".

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It's only a matter of time until McCann is sent back to junior. I actually prefer Cracknell between Dorsett-Prust as opposed to Vey.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
It's only a matter of time until McCann is sent back to junior. I actually prefer Cracknell between Dorsett-Prust as opposed to Vey.

I do too. Vey or Cracknell, neither is going to be lighting the lamp. Cracknell though brings much more physicality to the game. The shifts that banger line had against SJ is exactly what you want from your 4th line. Forechecks and big hits causing turnovers and chances.

I would personally switch Kenins for Prust. Probably more physical than Prust at this point and much faster.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Cracknell should be in consideration for one of the spots, he's worked very hard....good fourth liner.

arsmaster*

Your math is off Mr. C, there are only 17 listed forwards including Higgins.

4 cuts to make IMO, as I'd keep 13 forward and 8 dmen. Easy cut on D is Corrado.

Kenins can go down without being exposed. He'll go down, so will Gaunce, hopefully Vey, and Higgins injury gives us this:

Twins-Vrbata
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Burrows-Sutter-Hansen
Prust-McCann-Dorsett
Cracknell

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Hutton
Sbisa-Biega
Bartkowski-Weber

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
Your math is off Mr. C, there are only 17 listed forwards including Higgins.

4 cuts to make IMO, as I'd keep 13 forward and 8 dmen. Easy cut on D is Corrado.

Kenins can go down without being exposed. He'll go down, so will Gaunce, hopefully Vey, and Higgins injury gives us this:

Twins-Vrbata
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Burrows-Sutter-Hansen
Prust-McCann-Dorsett
Cracknell

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Hutton
Sbisa-Biega
Bartkowski-Weber

If Biega and Corrado both were put on waivers I think Corrado is more likely to get claimed if either did just on age alone. Truthfully I think neither would though.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Taylor Fedun cleared waivers, so he's off to Utica. (or more correctly, Lyon, France?)

Players left on the roster:

F:
47 Sven Baertschi
14 Alexandre Burrows
24 Adam Cracknell
15 Derek Dorsett
50 Brendan Gaunce
36 Jannik Hansen
20 Chris Higgins **
53 Bo Horvat
41 Ronalds Kenins
51 Jared McCann
9 Brandon Prust
22 Daniel Sedin "A"
33 Henrik Sedin "C"
21 Brandon Sutter
7 Linden Vey
77 Jake Virtanen
17 Radim Vrbata

Total: 17 (including Higgins, who is injured)

D:
44 Matt Bartkowski
55 Alex Biega
26 Frank Corrado
23 Alexander Edler
2 Dan Hamhuis
60 Ben Hutton
5 Luca Sbisa
8 Christopher Tanev
6 Yannick Weber

Total: 9

G:
Richard Bachmann
Jacob Markstrom
Ryan Miller

Total: 3

Total Roster: 29

So we have 1 injury, and 5 to cut. Bachmann is the no brainer to be cut, bringing that down to 4.

Fixed the math in your post.

I've underlined my cuts. Basically for me, the injury to Higgins gives us some flexibility to try out McCann and Gaunce. If both look like NHL regulars in their little regular season stint, then I either look to move Higgins or I waive Vey. If one of McCann or Gaunce look like they aren't ready, then they get sent down and Higgins slides into the lineup.

This really is a no-brainer, but I expect somehow it will be screwed up.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Ideally Sbisa and Vey both get sent to Mars but we know that's not happening

Since Sbisa and Vey are gifted roster spots it seems like this is the next best thing.

1.)Send Biega Gaunce Kenins and Cracknell to Utica.
2.)Give McCann, Virtanen, and Hutton a few weeks to see what they can do.
3.)If they need more seasoning send them down and bring up whoever is doing well in Utica.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
If Hutton doesn't make the team I think its another mistake.

1. He is already shown offensive ability that other canucks dmen simply do not possess. His ability to rush the puck, getting shots through etc. Already deserves PP time.

2. Theres a myth somehow players "only" develop in the A, why can't Hutton develop in the NHL?

3. Canucks might not keep Hamhuis around after this season, Hamhuis is our most stable and experienced D. I want Hutton getting as much time observing and learning from Hamhuis as possible.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I've been refreshing this all day expecting bad news. Prove me wrong Benning, prove me wrong.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
I've been refreshing this all day expecting bad news. Prove me wrong Benning, prove me wrong.

Todays cuts just posted on Canucks.com
Friday, 10.2.2015 / 9:44 AM PT / News
Vancouver Canucks
Vancouver, B.C. –Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have reduced their pre-season roster by two players. The moves bring the club’s current roster to 28 players.

The following players have been assigned to the Utica Comets:

Richard Bachman, Goaltender

Taylor Fedun, Defence

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Ideally Sbisa and Vey both get sent to Mars but we know that's not happening

Since Sbisa and Vey are gifted roster spots it seems like this is the next best thing.

1.)Send Biega Gaunce Kenins and Cracknell to Utica.
2.)Give McCann, Virtanen, and Hutton a few weeks to see what they can do.
3.)If they need more seasoning send them down and bring up whoever is doing well in Utica.
its really to bad ,as guys that should be on the team and have worked there butts off are going to be sent down.No one on this team should be gifted a roster spot period.Even Higgins.Biega,Gaunce,McCann,Virtannin,Hutton have busted there ass,s and there face,s and should be on this team now.Vey,Webber,Higgins,Sbisa,Prust,need to be sent packing.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I do too. Vey or Cracknell, neither is going to be lighting the lamp. Cracknell though brings much more physicality to the game. The shifts that banger line had against SJ is exactly what you want from your 4th line. Forechecks and big hits causing turnovers and chances.

I would personally switch Kenins for Prust. Probably more physical than Prust at this point and much faster.

I agree, Prust is noticeably slow and that will hamper his ability to forecheck. A banger can't be slow in today's league.

He makes Dorsett look fast.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I thought we cut Fedun yesterday? Same with Bachman.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Fixed the math in your post.

I've underlined my cuts. Basically for me, the injury to Higgins gives us some flexibility to try out McCann and Gaunce. If both look like NHL regulars in their little regular season stint, then I either look to move Higgins or I waive Vey. If one of McCann or Gaunce look like they aren't ready, then they get sent down and Higgins slides into the lineup.

This really is a no-brainer, but I expect somehow it will be screwed up.

Sooooo glad we went out and got Prust :shakehead
No way they will keep Prust out of the lineup on opening night though, so I imagine Gaunce/Kenins go down.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Hansen Sutter Burrows
Baertschi Horvat Virtanen
Dorsett McCann Prust
/Vey

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Weber
Hutton Bartkowski
/Sbisa, Corrado

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
2. Theres a myth somehow players "only" develop in the A, why can't Hutton develop in the NHL?

3. Canucks might not keep Hamhuis around after this season, Hamhuis is our most stable and experienced D. I want Hutton getting as much time observing and learning from Hamhuis as possible.

agree. players can develop just fine in the NHL if they're properly supported. it becomes a problem when they get thrown into the NHL with no support or leadership.. like Edmonton.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Vancouver, B.C. –Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have traded F Jared McCann, D Ben Hutton and a 3rd to the Winnipeg Jets in exchange for F Mathieu Perreault and D Adam Pardy. "I'm pleased with the moves made today, we have certainly added more grit to the lineup."

:sarcasm:

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North

Todays cuts just posted on Canucks.com
Friday, 10.2.2015 / 9:44 AM PT / News
Vancouver Canucks
Vancouver, B.C. –Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have reduced their pre-season roster by two players. The moves bring the club’s current roster to 28 players.

The following players have been assigned to the Utica Comets:

Richard Bachman, Goaltender

Taylor Fedun, Defence

:laugh: What a slap in the face. "Of course we have cuts, but it won't clarify what you're hoping for!"

If they send McCann down, they're basically saying the following:

Dear prospective NHLer,

In order to beat out the worst roster player for the lowest position available, you have to be a point-per-game player, be defensively reliable, and be one of the 3 stars of the game, every game. So help you God if you dare to have a single mediocre game where you don't stand out, but still maintain not being a liability (because we all know NHLers never have off games).

Oh, and this is all while the worst roster player you're competing against gets spoon-fed a plethora of better opportunities than you and completely negates your effort if they simply create, and not even capitalize, a couple chances over the whole course of the preseason.

Good luck, chicken ****.

Signed,

Short-Sighted Management

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
:laugh: What a slap in the face. "Of course we have cuts, but it won't clarify what you're hoping for!"

If they send McCann down, they're basically saying the following:

Dear prospective NHLer,

In order to beat out the worst roster player for the lowest position available, you have to be a point-per-game player, be defensively reliable, and be one of the 3 stars of the game, every game. So help you God if you dare to have a single mediocre game where you don't stand out, but still maintain not being a liability (because we all know NHLers never have off games).

Oh, and this is all while the worst roster player you're competing against gets spoon-fed a plethora of better opportunities than you and completely negates your effort if they simply create, and not even capitalize, a couple chances over the whole course of the preseason.

Good luck, chicken ****.

Signed,

Short-Sighted Management

You forgot to read the small print that said something something Medicine Hat... Good ole Boy... Real Good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad