The Official Tank Thread III

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Speaking of other organizations, didn't we have a whole talk about how Toronto isn't a legitimately successful rebuild yet? I thought they looked great this year in the playoffs. They're in a brilliant position now where they have a really, elite young core group, but they're also in a position to add veterans to compete now. We'd be right to be imitate them.

Competing aside, they're at least fun to watch right now. If the team is going to stumble through a couple of years of wilderness, I'd rather watch exciting players like Matthews, Marner and Nylander, than mediocre, replacement level junk like Nielsen, Abdelkader and Helm. Then again, it's not like the team chooses to play the exciting youth it does have over bad-to-awful veterans, so who knows.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Speaking of other organizations, didn't we have a whole talk about how Toronto isn't a legitimately successful rebuild yet? I thought they looked great this year in the playoffs. They're in a brilliant position now where they have a really, elite young core group, but they're also in a position to add veterans to compete now. We'd be right to be imitate them.

Interestingly I heard Lebrun talking about them on TSN1260. I'm paraphrasing but he made a point to give praise to their veterans (Kadri, JVR, Polak, etc.). He specifically added that the kids wouldn't have been as impactful without the balance of these veterans.

Depending on how Mantha/Larkin/Svechnikov/2017 & 2018 Drafts play out Detroit could be well positioned for a similar rebound.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

They were lucky with their star players all being healthy and hitting their projected marks in production. Could see them improve but they could also fall back a bit or stay stagnant.

They have set themselves up well, at least. By the way what qualifies as a successful rebuild?

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Detroit doesn't have anyone anywhere near Nylander or Matthews. And no centers.

No disputing the no centers, but he did say 2018 draft. A Dahlin might not be a Matthews, but I think it'd be just as good, in terms of rebounding, especially if the 2017 draft gets us someone who can play C.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
No disputing the no centers, but he did say 2018 draft. A Dahlin might not be a Matthews, but I think it'd be just as good, in terms of rebounding, especially if the 2017 draft gets us someone who can play C.
But Holland has already said there is no rebuild happening. I take him at his word; I expect to finish out of the top 10 next year. Holland gonna Holland.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
But Holland has already said there is no rebuild happening. I take him at his word. I expect to finish out of the top 10 next year. Holland gonna Holland.

I dunno - I mean, yeah, he said that, but I don't think the team is really that far from a bottom 5 finish. It'd be easy to play what-if either way, I think: if Howard and Vanek had been healthier, the team is in the running for the postseason/if Z regresses at all and the team isn't unconscious in the shootout, the team is in the running for 1st overall. I don't think the second is any more impossible than the first, whatever Holland tries to do (over the next season, that is).

And I'd argue that, based on general player development in Detroit, it's unreasonable to expect Larkin, Mantha or AA to improve more than slightly into next season, which is what a lot of the 'non-bottom 10' improvement would have to be based on, given the 'quality' of the rest of the roster.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Interestingly I heard Lebrun talking about them on TSN1260. I'm paraphrasing but he made a point to give praise to their veterans (Kadri, JVR, Polak, etc.). He specifically added that the kids wouldn't have been as impactful without the balance of these veterans.

Depending on how Mantha/Larkin/Svechnikov/2017 & 2018 Drafts play out Detroit could be well positioned for a similar rebound.
Kadri is only 26, too. Looking like a great pick, seems like yesterday I was watching that draft and Bryan Murray was trying to trade up to that spot on live TV.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
Kadri is only 26, too. Looking like a great pick, seems like yesterday I was watching that draft and Bryan Murray was trying to trade up to that spot on live TV.

He was quite the project for them though. Good player. One of those annoying guys to play against but love to have on your team. Similar to Marchand in that regard.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
By that logic, GMs with bad cores/teams shouldn't be fired because expectations are lowered?

Shouldn't we be expecting GMs instead to... make good teams?...
If the expectation is that the team is bad and rebuilding then no, the GM shouldn't be fired if the team is bad. But then expectations are more about improving the team, and if that takes too long then the GM is often fired.

Expectations the last few years have definitely been more about rebuilding or re-tooling, but as an actual playoff team still riding the last legs of the old core the expectations haven't been that Holland should be finding superstars in the draft.
Now with missing the playoffs and getting a top 10 pick, expectations become higher on Holland to start finding the players that will bring Detroit success again. 1 or 2 more years out of the playoffs and I'm sure the talk about Holland getting the boot will start heating up for real.
I think he deserves a little time though, let's see what he does the first time he's out of the playoffs and the first time he gets a top 10 pick.

I really question if this mindset comes from ownership or from Holland.

That Deadspin article the other day suggested it was the latter:
Not sure that fits Holland's profile. He likes drafting players that have upside but require development time. He likes overripening prospects. He has tons of patience (More than any fan) and has rarely done the massive all-in moves that is the true mark of a GM wanting to win-now.

He doesn't seem to want to build a losing team, but I simply can't hold that against someone in the business of sports.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Our chances for a bottom give finish are slim next year

Vegas
Vancouver
New Jersey
Colorado
Arizona

Are all almost certain to be worse than us

We would need to sell roster players for picks starting this June to crack that list and based on Holland track record he is more likely to try and add veterans.

I expect a 7-12 draft pick next season.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
Our chances for a bottom give finish are slim next year

Vegas
Vancouver
New Jersey
Colorado
Arizona

Are all almost certain to be worse than us

We would need to sell roster players for picks starting this June to crack that list and based on Holland track record he is more likely to try and add veterans.

I expect a 7-12 draft pick next season.

Eh, I disagree. I think to much of this depends on the expansion draft and moves leading up. I think this will be an exciting off season for the NHL. Maybe not Detroit...but a lot of bigger moves to be had.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Eh, I disagree. I think to much of this depends on the expansion draft and moves leading up. I think this will be an exciting off season for the NHL. Maybe not Detroit...but a lot of bigger moves to be had.

So you think those five teams will all get substantially better this off-season?

I respectively disagree

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Imagine if we didn't have howard.... might have been the second worst team in hockey.

Both Howard (when healthy) and Zetterberg had fantastic years. I expected the real fall to happen when Zetterberg stopped being a top line player. But he kept his end of the bargain this season, no doubt.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
So you think those five teams will all get substantially better this off-season?

I respectively disagree

I think those teams will be about the same but I think we will get worse. There's no way we're surviving regilation for that many OTs and SOs to arbitrarily increase our point totals next year. Furthermore Z carried the team hard this season and he'll be one year older. Even if the kids take a step they can't carry us like that and it's still the worst D in the NHL. I expect a bottom 5 finish. I guess we will see. It depends a lot on how the off-season goes.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The reason(s) why I dont think we will be worse then the five teams I mentioned is because
one is an expansion team,
two are actively tanking/will be(arizona and vancouver)
one is NJ and whom are significantly worse then we're when comparing rosters and
the other is Colorado(in complete turmoil, will likely trade duchene and possibly lando)

while i expect zetterberg to regree, i expect better years from tatar, nyquist, larkin, and nielsen and moreso, I expect KH to try and sign/trade for immediate help(which wont be enough but to achieve a worst draft spot)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'd sooner expect a rookie like Patrick or Hischier to surprise everybody, and help add 15 points to the season total of a Vancouver or Arizona, than expect the Nielsens and Nyquists of the world to help Detroit improve anywhere near that much.

Barring a phenomenon, the Wings are a bottom 5-7 team next year.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I think those teams will be about the same but I think we will get worse. There's no way we're surviving regilation for that many OTs and SOs to arbitrarily increase our point totals next year. Furthermore Z carried the team hard this season and he'll be one year older. Even if the kids take a step they can't carry us like that and it's still the worst D in the NHL. I expect a bottom 5 finish. I guess we will see. It depends a lot on how the off-season goes.

Zetterberg might not be as good, but you should hope Larkin and Mantha improve. Not for the standings sake, but for the fact you want your kids to improve.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Zetterberg might not be as good, but you should hope Larkin and Mantha improve. Not for the standings sake, but for the fact you want your kids to improve.
I think they both will improve, but I'm not convinced that either one is anything more than the next Nyquist or Tatar...neither of which, even at their best, really can carry a team.

I think it's going to take a truly special player, or a large handful of Larkins and Manthas, to really make a difference on this roster.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

Of course you hope they improve, but there's precious little in 'recent' Wings development history to suggest that they will.

while i expect zetterberg to regree, i expect better years from tatar, nyquist, larkin, and nielsen and moreso, I expect KH to try and sign/trade for immediate help(which wont be enough but to achieve a worst draft spot)

Why would you expect Nielsen to improve? 32 year olds are, typically, what they are. Except when they're Zetterberg, and Nielsen is certainly not Zetterberg.

Because Holland will fix on the fly :cry:

He'll certainly try to fix it on the fly. But he did that last year and the team was terrible.

In a boat full of self-made holes, he's only got so many old, rotten corks to try to plug them with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad