The Official Tank Thread III

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
We can say "oh well" but it's pretty sad the lack of care the Wings have for building a championship team again. Yet another wasted year for true fans while I'm sure corporate sales remain steady. Signing Miller, continuing to trot out Kronwall- really all the contracts signed last summer were pathetic in their own way, from DeKeyser to Glendening's extension.

This franchise has no direction- just a rudderless ship taken by the elements. The inability to seal up a top 5 pick is further example of any real plan or concern. All the talk about the Joe and winning 20 years ago is growing annoying when you wonder how does this team shake out of the losing culture that's become the norm. Why would we even want to make the playoff's next season?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It might be frustrating in some way for the club to play itself out of a very high pick, but it's also encouraging that guys like XO, Jensen, and Russo are taking this opportunity to make a very strong case for IT next year, that AA and Mantha continue to produce and play well, and that Nyquist and Tatar are looking like top6 wings again.

If all of those guys crapped out there isn't a chance we're looking at a 5 year rebuild, but at something that would be closer to that ten year number. Keep playing hard and hope for some luck on draft day.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
The inevitable happened tonight but it feels so surreal. I think I was in 4th grade when this happened last.

It really feels like it was much longer ago than that, though I think part of that is that they'd actually made it 5 of the previous 6 seasons before the streak started.

It's been what, 34 years since the team missed the playoffs in two consecutive seasons? I know that's outwardly less impressive than 25 consecutive years, but I think it says more about the consistent excellence this organization has had.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So remaining schedule we have:

TB
TOR
OTT
OTT
MTL
NJ

We should end up with a pretty good pick here.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
So remaining schedule we have:

TB
TOR
OTT
OTT
MTL
NJ

We should end up with a pretty good pick here.

Want to beat TB and TOR in regulation and lose the rest, helping OTT stay in second, helping MTL stay first (and play NYR) and hoping NJ finishes ahead of us in the standings. That would be ideal in my book.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Want to beat TB and TOR in regulation and lose the rest, helping OTT stay in second, helping MTL stay first (and play NYR) and hoping NJ finishes ahead of us in the standings. That would be ideal in my book.

NJ's 4 game losing streak isn't helping. We are currently sitting at an expected draft position of 7th. I could see us passing Dallas and finishing 6th.

In order to get to 4 or 5 we would need NJ or Van to put together a few wins, and they seem to be embracing the free fall lately.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
NJ's 4 game losing streak isn't helping. We are currently sitting at an expected draft position of 7th. I could see us passing Dallas and finishing 6th.

In order to get to 4 or 5 we would need NJ or Van to put together a few wins, and they seem to be embracing the free fall lately.

Yeah unfortunately they seem to be actively tanking at this point which the Wings totally aren't so I don't see us breaking back into the top five without some lottery help. I am fine with 6, 7 or 8. We should get one of the guys I like there. Of course we will have to ritual sacrifice some goats on lottery day and hope the hockey gods are pleased with us.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yeah unfortunately they seem to be actively tanking at this point which the Wings totally aren't so I don't see us breaking back into the top five without some lottery help. I am fine with 6, 7 or 8. We should get one of the guys I like there. Of course we will have to ritual sacrifice some goats on lottery day and hope the hockey gods are pleased with us.
Many Bothans died to bring you this top-3 pick. :D

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
If the Wings pick at #7 they have options. Take the best player or package it with one or two third round picks to move up.

It will take a lot more than third round picks to move up from 7. Maybe not 'a lot' more but I don't see someone giving up a top 5 pick to gain an extra 3rd

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
It will take a lot more than third round picks to move up from 7. Maybe not 'a lot' more but I don't see someone giving up a top 5 pick to gain an extra 3rd

I'm not even sure it makes sense to move up in this draft. In this draft you have a top 2 and then a huge group afterwards where almost anyone could go from 3-8, it all depends on the teams preference. At this point we need to hit on as many players as we can so I don't think we should be trading away draft picks to move up if the Wings have the players all rated the same.

Anyways at this point I think the best we can hope for is to end up #4 but I have a feeling we may end up winning some of those games and we'll end up in the 7-9 spots.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Sit all the vets. Play as many kids as possible. Give Svech and Bert a few games. See what we have while losing as many games as possible.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I'm not even sure it makes sense to move up in this draft. In this draft you have a top 2 and then a huge group afterwards where almost anyone could go from 3-8, it all depends on the teams preference. At this point we need to hit on as many players as we can so I don't think we should be trading away draft picks to move up if the Wings have the players all rated the same.

Anyways at this point I think the best we can hope for is to end up #4 but I have a feeling we may end up winning some of those games and we'll end up in the 7-9 spots.
Here'a link to our chances for specific seeds. Notice that Vegas gets the 3rd seed which means everyone after #2 will drop one spot pre-lottery.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHLlottery.html

We're basically in a toss-up with Dallas for #6 and #7 going into the lottery. Buffalo isn't far behind either...

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

Would agree there i think hanging on to picks marks more sense that worrying about trading up. Was also just trying to say that trading up in the top 10 would be more than just two 3rds.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->