The Official "STL Blues Draft Position" Thread Pt1: (19-8-2)

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Does anyone else think the St Louis will be better than the NYI? The West is always a dogfight and they haven't looked great to date.

I think you might want to reword your question slightly.

Given a 7-game series, I'm picking the Blues over the Isles 100% of the time. Therefore, the Blues ARE better than the Isles.

Is is plausible that the Isles finish with more points??? I'd say it's unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I think you might want to reword your question slightly.

Given a 7-game series, I'm picking the Blues over the Isles 100% of the time. Therefore, the Blues ARE better than the Isles.

Is is plausible that the Isles finish with more points??? I'd say it's unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility.

It's also plausible that the Blues finish with more points BUT a worse standing in their respective conference. The Blues can't afford to fall too far back in that conference, or it'll be a major dogfight to get back. And if Nashville can ride Rinne into the race too...

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Does anyone else think the St Louis will be better than the NYI? The West is always a dogfight and they haven't looked great to date.

I think almost everyone thought St. Louis would be better than NYI. Surprising it hasn't looked that way so far.

But I don't care which team is bad, as long as one of them is.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
I'd love for both of them to be bad...more so the Isles b/c it's more likely

But the blues have been playing like crap! Being in the west, there's really not much of an easy win or a gimme, except maybe one or 2 teams...whereas in the east there's a lot more.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
While I think it's unlikely, it would be hilarious if Blues' pick ended up being the better. :laugh:

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York

AHX.gif

Thanks Ryan the gift that keeps on giving.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I just looked up the Blues' regular season record since the Olympics, including this season:

16-14-2.

They were 39-12-6 heading into the Olympics. I'm a little surprised that they're barely over .500 since that time. Extrapolates to about 87 pts over an 82/game season. Only one WC playoff team had fewer than 98 pts last season, and that was Dallas with 91.

While I think they'll be fine, the Blues may be in more trouble than we realize.

For a frame of reference, the Islanders are 19-9-1 since the Olympics. :laugh:

Last edited:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I just looked up the Blues' regular season record since the Olympics, including this season:

16-14-2.

They were 39-12-6 heading into the Olympics. I'm a little surprised that they're barely over .500 since that time. Extrapolates to about 87 pts over an 82/game season. Only one WC playoff team had fewer than 98 pts last season, and that was Dallas with 91.

While I think they'll be fine, the Blues may be in more trouble than we realize.

For a frame of reference, the Islanders are 19-9-1 since the Olympics. :laugh:
That team peaked in 2012, didn't understand why, and have spent the past couple seasons building away from their successes. If I didn't like so many of their players I'd be way more amused by this.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I wonder if Eric OKs a trade away from Jordan.

That would be interesting.

And if I'm Carolina, I insist on Jake Allen being in the deal.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Maybe something like Shatty, Berglund, and a cap dump would could do the trick.
That a Shatty/Berglund package has enough upside left to net an elite player with some question marks by themselves is this team's only saving grace. Shattenkirk doesn't suck, but he's not good enough to be a top 4 defenseman on a Cup team given the lack of physical, stay at home defense on that blueline, and they don't have enough at forward to make his offense from the backend reliable in playoff situations.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Stastny hurt right now doesn't help them, but the big question mark for them was how their goaltending was going to be.

Nashville is playing unreal right now, and I would not be surprised at all if they took the division. Rinne back, Weber, Josi, Jones, etc on D, Neal for offense, they're looking like a real good team. Chicago is chicago, baring some crazy injuries, they should be a playoff team. And Dallas and Minnesota are real strong as well. St. Louis is going to have a real tough time this year, and a poor start now is not going to help

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Stastny hurt right now doesn't help them, but the big question mark for them was how their goaltending was going to be.

Nashville is playing unreal right now, and I would not be surprised at all if they took the division. Rinne back, Weber, Josi, Jones, etc on D, Neal for offense, they're looking like a real good team. Chicago is chicago, baring some crazy injuries, they should be a playoff team. And Dallas and Minnesota are real strong as well. St. Louis is going to have a real tough time this year, and a poor start now is not going to help

And if Vancouver can keep up their play, they can challenge for a wild card spot from the Pacific. Avalanche look to be sinking and not a threat, and I don't trust the Flames over a full season, but there is a very real possibility that they could finish out of the top 8.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
That a Shatty/Berglund package has enough upside left to net an elite player with some question marks by themselves is this team's only saving grace. Shattenkirk doesn't suck, but he's not good enough to be a top 4 defenseman on a Cup team given the lack of physical, stay at home defense on that blueline, and they don't have enough at forward to make his offense from the backend reliable in playoff situations.

Yeah just looking over their roster, those two stand out as trade bait. Bouwmeester, Pie, Gunnar, and Jackman is a decent enough top 4. Ian Cole and Leo on the bottom pair. Berglund is somewhat of an afterthought now that Schwartz has been producing. I think Carolina would bite, but Shattenkirk might be more of the same for them. They have a lot of smallish puck-movers (Sekera, Faulk, Murphy). Not sure what they would be looking for outside of a number 1 pick.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
If by some crazy miracle the Blues pick won the lottery then Pegula should commission a Ryan Miller statue to place outside the FNC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad