TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread - PART X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
They get themselves in trouble when they try to fill in as experts and bread down players, games, management etc. They really need to keep their lineup full with experts/insiders.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
They get themselves in trouble when they try to fill in as experts and break down players, games, management etc. They really need to keep their lineup full with experts/insiders.
I am no fan, but be fair.

Simmer: NHL goalie (granted 1 or 2 games and may not have played). NHL scout, NHL executive. ~ 40 years of hockey behind him
JR: 30 year radio man, mostly in sports. Very well connected, has friends in all walks of the sports world. A brother who is/was a member of the Maple Leafs organization (although I cannot be sure is he is not with the Raptors).
Lloyd: 25 years of sports radio. Friends with Sens coach Sean D. Has many former players as friends due to running in that circle
AJ: 20 years of sports radio experience. His Rolodex is thick. Has interacted with a multitude of sports figures the last 25 years.
Versage: 20 years of sports radio experience. Covered a multitude of sports. He may have the least experience, but he can keep up with anyone here.
Bunda/Creech: Both are coming up on 15 years of experience
The collection of 2-3 producers/part time on air guys: 10-20 years of experience

They are experts and insiders. And when they kick into full bore, deep down sports talk, they are okay. They cannot though. The audience is a collection of mild to hardcore fans. You have to cater to all. So there is dumbing down and there is ramping up.

My personal beef has always been the same: 1) variety..I get dumbing it down, but can we have dumbed down shows that are on all subjects, and a reasonably full schedules. There are days when some 1 hour segments are about 10 minutes of quality content 2) kahunas..although, unless I am willing to pay a few bucks a year to them directly to break the bond between them and the sports teams they cover..I have to be fair. It is not right to ask others to be brave on your behalf.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I am no fan, but be fair.

Simmer: NHL goalie (granted 1 or 2 games and may not have played). NHL scout, NHL executive. ~ 40 years of hockey behind him
JR: 30 year radio man, mostly in sports. Very well connected, has friends in all walks of the sports world. A brother who is/was a member of the Maple Leafs organization (although I cannot be sure is he is not with the Raptors).
Lloyd: 25 years of sports radio. Friends with Sens coach Sean D. Has many former players as friends due to running in that circle
AJ: 20 years of sports radio experience. His Rolodex is thick. Has interacted with a multitude of sports figures the last 25 years.
Versage: 20 years of sports radio experience. Covered a multitude of sports. He may have the least experience, but he can keep up with anyone here.
Bunda/Creech: Both are coming up on 15 years of experience
The collection of 2-3 producers/part time on air guys: 10-20 years of experience

They are experts and insiders. And when they kick into full bore, deep down sports talk, they are okay. They cannot though. The audience is a collection of mild to hardcore fans. You have to cater to all. So there is dumbing down and there is ramping up.

My personal beef has always been the same: 1) variety..I get dumbing it down, but can we have dumbed down shows that are on all subjects, and a reasonably full schedules. There are days when some 1 hour segments are about 10 minutes of quality content 2) kahunas..although, unless I am willing to pay a few bucks a year to them directly to break the bond between them and the sports teams they cover..I have to be fair. It is not right to ask others to be brave on your behalf.

I enjoy the show and I really like Simmer ... the others have grown with experience and time working in the industry but I think their perspectives are limited. I enjoy the show more when they stick to the simple parts, humour, the odd debate but let the insiders carry the heavy lifting.

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
I've come to the conclusion Lloyd is the worst on the station these days. He's become complacent which is risky in this industry. He used to be amongst my favourites when York/White were part of In The Box

Anyways he should stop commenting on covid stuff, he comes off way to partisan, drives me nuts, I'll listen to Evan Solomon if I wanted that. The US death rate is 3x Canada's. Silly to compare how US is reopening things vs Canada.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I've come to the conclusion Lloyd is the worst on the station these days. He's become complacent which is risky in this industry. He used to be amongst my favourites when York/White were part of In The Box

Anyways he should stop commenting on covid stuff, he comes off way to partisan, drives me nuts, I'll listen to Evan Solomon if I wanted that. The US death rate is 3x Canada's. Silly to compare how US is reopening things vs Canada.

Anybody who gives has a microphone to talk about wrist shots and gives their opinion on living in a Covid world is annoying. Nobody cares, it’s been hard on everyone and hard in a different way for everyone. Loneliness, parents with kids at home, finances, business owners - so you want to golf, we all got something to do that we can’t do. Politicians are incompetent - “this just in” we know. It’s annoying, we don’t care about your covid opinions, like how we don’t care when people post their current emotional state on Facebook - you’re annoyed with Uber eats - nobody cares.

Last edited:

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Nilan: Habs look good but they need to clean up their faceoff play

Knuckles Nilan .. fun interview.. good critique of the Habs losing faceoffs clean for goals against.

Great reply to if he would fight a player with red eyes like Petry... lol
I continue to be shocked by the fact he was Whitey Bolger's son in law (step, I know). How comfortable would you feel if you were married to Victoria Gotti when Daddy John was still alive????

Or marrying, Sammy Bull Gravano's daughter...

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
There is Lloyd talking about Vasilevskiy being the best goalie in the league.

the 2012 draft:
upload_2021-6-23_13-12-8.png

Tom Wilson, a loose canon but the best bruiser/point getter in the league
Tomas Hertil, a prime # 1 center
Teuvo Teravainen, a premier left winger
Andrei V., best in the league

And we wondered how this team has failed!!!!

"Cicci, a porta"..

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Seeing rumours on Twitter that Dean and/or Gord’s contracts have expired and not been renewed. Not sure what to make of that. Bell Media is dead set on consolidating their media, that’s for sure.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Seeing rumours on Twitter that Dean and/or Gord’s contracts have expired and not been renewed. Not sure what to make of that. Bell Media is dead set on consolidating their media, that’s for sure.

I would probably miss Gord...Dean on the other hand, well, he has become rather obnoxious the past few years and I think it is time for a fresh perspective.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I would probably miss Gord...Dean on the other hand, well, he has become rather obnoxious the past few years and I think it is time for a fresh perspective.

I’ve enjoyed some of Gord’s recent reporting … but Deans communication style leaves me changing the channel.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I don’t listen to the radio but to me it makes sense to just use the TSN tv audio instead of employing separate radio broadcasters

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

As someone who was probably too hard on Gord for years I've actually come to appreciate some of what he brings to the table. I liked most of what I've seen/heard from him the last couple of years.

Dean on the other hand...

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Gord brings a lot of positivity and an upbeat attitude all the time. As long as he’s been around I still find him an enjoyable character who clearly loves his job and his life.

I’m not sure what’s happened to Dean Brown this last decade (or maybe I’ve changed) but I find him to be angry, condescending, and a know it all who in fact shares very little, if anything new to his audience when he’s on the radio.
IMO he’d be better off calling the games and staying away from pre-game shows, and regular radio spots - I literally change the station when he comes on now.

Edit: I should add that I do love having local broadcasters as I prefer mine to be a bit on the homer side. On this count again I think Gord fits the bill, and Dean goes out of his way to tell you how unbiased he is...why? The differentiator here (between local and TV broadcast) should be “hey these guys are on board with this team!! I’m going to switch off this generic TV (but really good if Miller and Ferraro) TV audio feed.” Otherwise why listen to the local guys?

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

the 2012 draft:
View attachment 448978

"Cicci, a porta"..
I remember it well, I believe I might have been the only guy who wanted Tom Wilson in that draft & most called him a 4th line goon at best.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

the 2012 draft:
View attachment 448978

"Cicci, a porta"..

One of the only times where I can brag that I was bang on with a guy I wanted in the draft. I was really praying they'd draft Vasilevsky.

I also remember the quote from Brian Kilrea after the draft when he said, "If you like Drew Doughty, you'll love Cody Ceci."

Yikes. Not even close. Lol.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Back on track, I've always liked Dean and Gord, probably for nostalgia reasons.

But Dean is a TV guy. He's not good for radio. When he's on TV, he can go off on his little goofy conversations with Gord, and for the most part, it's fine because we're watching the game so we see what's happening.

On radio when he goes off on his little tangent stories, it's frustrating because I can't see what's happening, so I just have to wait for them to get back to the game to know what's going on.

Everywhere I've seen, just taking the TV commentary and playing it on the radio is awful. I really hope they don't do that, but I assume they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad