TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread - PART X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
no..he would recede into blahness, the same way that all the other hosts are.

Never allow an articulate caller in. They will upstage you and make you sound bad..The Irish Tommies are comical, good for the ratings and make the hosts seem like geniuses.

I am surprised at you Stylizer. I did not take you for a fan boy.
If you look at the fact he is a lawyer who must retain quite a bit of information to be good at his job it seems that if he were a full time radio host he would do the same. Which host on the station do you think based on their work ethic would be a great lawyer?

Like i said i don't care for some of his opinions because he does make it preachy, but his execution and the topics he discusses such as the business of sports is different and nice to listen too as opposed to what we normally get from for most of the day.

Mendez never receded into blandness and yet had a similar approach to radio as Eric, research.

Reactions: aragorn

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
is it?

5 x 9 = 45 only..but, he is 26 when over and can sign another 8 x X million with year one at 27 and ending at 34. Possibly an 8 x 9= 72. so total = 117
or
8 x 8 = 64. Yes, 19 million more...but it ends when he is 29...so his next contract starts when he is 30.. will there be a 5 x X waiting??? A 5 x 9..Boy I doubt it...even if yes, total is 109...

If he does not get 5 x X, if it is a series of 2 and 3 year contracts and at humble dollars, does option a) not make more sense?

I would think most good agents would recommend their client take the larger contract on the table. Tkatchuk plays a pretty physical game and the guarantee of having 19 million extra in the case of an injury is almost always going to be more valuable. Also, what if he doesn't live up to a 5x9 (not that unrealistic honestly) and has to settle for a 2-7 year at 6 or 7 million after. Most smart players will take the term.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I would think most good agents would recommend their client take the larger contract on the table. Tkatchuk plays a pretty physical game and the guarantee of having 19 million extra in the case of an injury is almost always going to be more valuable. Also, what if he doesn't live up to a 5x9 (not that unrealistic honestly) and has to settle for a 2-7 year at 6 or 7 million after. Most smart players will take the term.
They definitely wouldn’t, it’s why most agents/players prefer bridge deals at lesser value than long term deals.

Tkachuk would rather a 3 x 5 than a 7 x 7

Bridge deals are so prevalent for a reason, and teams don’t like them like players do

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I couldn't disagree more. That lawyer guy is hard to listen to. Forces shit. And American sports radio, to me, is so loud and filled with posturing. Trying to sound hard and cool.

I'll take small town Ottawa radio filled with goofy dad jokes over that shit anyday of the week.
Yeah, I agree with you on the American programming. REALLY can't listen to it.

I like Macramella though. Sure, he's a lawyer and it seems like there's a job requirement to be a pompous ass if you go in to that line of work. But he is smart, funny (if you spot many of his jokes are meant to be ironic and self deprecating) and as Stylizer says he takes his show seriously and is well prepared.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
They definitely wouldn’t, it’s why most agents/players prefer bridge deals at lesser value than long term deals.

Tkachuk would rather a 3 x 5 than a 7 x 7

Bridge deals are so prevalent for a reason, and teams don’t like them like players do

A 5 year deal isn't a bridge deal though.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
A 5 year deal isn't a bridge deal though.
A 5 year deal for a 22 year old at a very high salary is even better than a bridge deal. For Tkachuk he’d very likely rather a 5 (that the team won’t because it will lead to UFA) then 3 (where both sides benefit), then long term (that Tkachuk likely doesn’t because it leaves money on the table. Walt and the Tkachuk family know this all too well)

Look at Matthews, he chose a 5 year deal for a reason. He’ll be 27 and sign a mega deal in the midst of his prime instead of on the downslope at 30.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What's funny is that their best on air host is a full time lawyer. This weekend I listen Offside and it sounded like a real sports radio show. No dead air, interesting topics, quick back and forth. That was a great duo along with Dustin Nielson. Great chemistry.

When TSN and 1310am play American shows the quality is so vastly different

Shoutout to Dustin Neilson who has the best sports show in the country.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
A 5 year deal for a 22 year old at a very high salary is even better than a bridge deal. Look at Matthews, he chose a 5 year deals for a reason. He’ll be 27 and sign a mega deal in the midst of his prime instead of on the downslope at 30.
did you follow the exchange from the top? It began with the Simmer take that the Rangers may want to offer sheet Tkachuk.

it seems like Tkachuk should be on his knees prying they do. And he should be tripping over his own feet rushing to sign it.

The question becomes, what do the Sens do?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
did you follow the exchange from the top? It began with the Simmer take that the Rangers may want to offer sheet Tkachuk.

it seems like Tkachuk should be on his knees prying they do. And he should be tripping over his own feet rushing to sign it.

The question becomes, what do the Sens do?
The Sens will match it, barring it being a gigantic overpay.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
A 5 year deal for a 22 year old at a very high salary is even better than a bridge deal. Look at Matthews, he chose a 5 year deals for a reason.

We are about to start arguing about whether selling three extra years of UFA is worth it to Brady for 19 million dollars. The answer is we don't know and I don't really feel like having hypothetical arguments over nothing. If the Rangers offer sheet Brady for 9 mil or less the sens likely match or make him a better longer deal. The Rangers won't though as for whatever dumb reason teams don't offer sheet each others good young players.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I would love to see the Rangers make room to offer sheet another teams player. Simmer loves causing chaos.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
We are about to start arguing about whether selling three extra years of UFA is worth it to Brady for 19 million dollars. The answer is we don't know and I don't really feel like having hypothetical arguments over nothing. If the Rangers offer sheet Brady for 9 mil or less the sens likely match or make him a better longer deal. The Rangers won't though as for whatever dumb reason teams don't offer sheet each others good young players.
It’s not really arguing about hypotheticals, we see what agents and players are doing, most are preferring deals where they become free agents or RFA’s at 25-27 compared to an 8 year deal brining them to UFA at 30. Agents understand that the stars will make more money this way. MacKinnon sure wished his agent did, probably cost him 30+ million.

Rangers won’t be offersheeting Tkachuk regardless

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
I would love to see the Rangers make room to offer sheet another teams player. Simmer loves causing chaos.
read up a few posts.

See cap friendly. They have ~ 24 million free now
They can buyout ~ 6 million
They can bury ~ 10 million in the minors.

so around 40 million free. Their D core is ~ 14 million and has 3-4 guys on ELC.

The Rangers (and Bruins) have enough space to do serious damage on the Free agency or Offer sheet market.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
read up a few posts.

so around 40 million free. Their D core is ~ 14 million and has 3-4 guys on ELC.

The Rangers (and Bruins) have enough space to do serious damage on the Free agency or Offer sheet market.

Just looked and both teams need to re-sign a bunch of guys this year or next. 60+% of the Bruins roster is up in the next year and it is a similar situation for the rangers so that cap space is likely significantly lower than it looks right now.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
read up a few posts.

They have to sign Buchnevich and Shesterkin, both are likely to be longer term deals with higher AAV's given they are 1 and 2 years away from UFA. They have RFA's as well though Chytil is the only one in for a decent raise. They can buy out DeAngelo, they takes 3.657 off their projected cap hit, who else are they buying out. Who are they burying in the minors? There's also future implications, Adam Fox. Kakko and Kratsov will need new contracts after next season. Lafreniere and Miller the season after that. I mean sure they could make offer sheet a player and afford it in the short term, long term it isn't a viable option. There's also potential performance bonus issues if they decide to spend to the cap next season.

Reactions: Dan Patrick

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
read up a few posts.

How do you bury $10M in the minors? That's impossible.

And who do they buy out to save $6M?

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
How do you bury $10M in the minors? That's impossible.

And who do they buy out to save $6M?
you simply send a guy to the minors and his salary goes off the cap. You still have to pay it..granted the union will loose its head...How long did Karl Alzner live in the minors???

buy out: Deangelo making 3.75 million or Krieder making 6.5 million or Truba at 8 million. Although he is still useful. Ryan Strome at 4.5 million. Mika in his last year and will be 29 next year..making 5.3 million. It would make sense to move him in the summer or early next year.

The Rangers make a fortune. NY is ready to fully open and all will return to normal. The Rangers could be back to max revenue. $10 million in the minors is high, don't get me wrong, but doable...this is not the Sens, where burying $1 million is painful. Did the Rangers not have Redden in the minors at 6 million in 12/13?

The numbers are high, I get you. But Dolan is peeved. He has salary cap space, real coin to play with and wants to kick start his franchise....The guy fired his President and GM in unreal fashion. You see what he does on the Basketball side.

I surrender, the numbers are on the high side, but doable. Maybe not 40 million. So say 35 million.

The Sens have 30 million, assuming to the cap of ~ 81.5...What if Eugene's cap is 70 million? In fact, guaranteed to be 70 million. That leaves 20 million. how do you give Brady 8 or 9. How do you give Batherson 4-5. How do you give Zub and the 2-3 others their 2-3 million. It will run out quickly?

Reactions: BarberPole9

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
buy out: Deangelo making 3.75 million or Krieder making 6.5 million or Truba at 8 million. Although he is still useful. Ryan Strome at 4.5 million. Mika in his last year and will be 29 next year..making 5.3 million. It would make sense to move him in the summer or early next year.

upload_2021-5-10_15-9-5.png

upload_2021-5-10_15-9-38.png

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
thank you.

Read the lower line. On the high side. I downgraded to 35 million free. Still a chunk for an angry owner wanted to do damage or a splash.

you're welcome? Those are clearly not options and don't free up the amount of cap space you believe. The contracts don't disappear. Realistically the rangers have ~10 million in cap space for next season, signing a player to 8 or 9 million a multi year deal is possible but ties their hands moving forward and will cost them other players. They would put themselves in a bad position.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
you simply send a guy to the minors and his salary goes off the cap. You still have to pay it..granted the union will loose its head...How long did Karl Alzner live in the minors???

You're misinformed about what happens to a player's cap number when they're sent to the minors. You only gain the minimum NHL salary plus $375,000 in cap room when you send a player down. All the rest of his cap hit counts. So the Rangers cannot gain $10m in cap space by sending players down.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
You're misinformed about what happens to a player's cap number when they're sent to the minors. You only gain the minimum NHL salary plus $375,000 in cap room when you send a player down. All the rest of his cap hit counts. So the Rangers cannot gain $10m in cap space by sending players down.
yes..I read up some more. My numbers were way high. I did add line that the cap number may be closer to 35 million for next year with buyout, burying in the minors and other moves.

35 million is still serious coin, if you consider the Sens at probably around 20 million (Cap relative to budget).

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
you're welcome? Those are clearly not options and don't free up the amount of cap space you believe. The contracts don't disappear. Realistically the rangers have ~10 million in cap space for next season, signing a player to 8 or 9 million a multi year deal is possible but ties their hands moving forward and will cost them other players. They would put themselves in a bad position.
Yes, but a 22 year old. American kid. Media friendly. 6"2" of mean. Good enough hands that next to quality line-mates could be a 25-30 goal, 35-40 assist player. Can fight, throw his weight around. Be a Pain the butt. A leader. and so on. Mark Messier like (not as good, I grant you)

In a division that is robust (Washington, the Islanders, Pittsburgh, Philie).. 9 million could be a great gamble. In fact come in at 8.5 million. You may handcuff the Sens. They may be thinking 5 x 7, or 8 x 8. Suddenly your 5 x 8.5 could change the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad