The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread - Mod Warning Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
They need to get Marc Methot on the radio more often. He is awesome to listen to.

I could see him following the jason york route once his playing day7s are over.

Gotta agree. It was like a breath of fresh air listening to a new voice on the radio.

Pretty sad when a hockey player with zero experience is much better than any other host that they have on the station.

hockeylovingirl

Need to add more new segments and guests

I know this was mentioned on the other thread but like all their guest\hosts it need to be brought up again. Anyone else tired of hearing the same voices over and over, Eric Mac does an hour of his own show, an hour on in the Box, and an hour on the Drive each week, then yesterday he sat in for the finally couple segments on the Drive the same information just get's rehashed over and over. This is similar to Simmer at 7, it's just a rehash or preview of what is discussed on the Drive. If I'm not mistaken doesn't Terry Marcotte appear on both in the Box and the Drive? I know with really only one sports team in the City for now it's tough but can't they come up with new people. Marc Methot was excellent maybe do a Sens guest hosting each week or use some of the other Bell Media people. I'd love to see Connie B or even Stuntman chirp the Drive guys, it would at least be a different voice.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I know this was mentioned on the other thread but like all their guest\hosts it need to be brought up again. Anyone else tired of hearing the same voices over and over, Eric Mac does an hour of his own show, an hour on in the Box, and an hour on the Drive each week, then yesterday he sat in for the finally couple segments on the Drive the same information just get's rehashed over and over. This is similar to Simmer at 7, it's just a rehash or preview of what is discussed on the Drive. If I'm not mistaken doesn't Terry Marcotte appear on both in the Box and the Drive? I know with really only one sports team in the City for now it's tough but can't they come up with new people. Marc Methot was excellent maybe do a Sens guest hosting each week or use some of the other Bell Media people. I'd love to see Connie B or even Stuntman chirp the Drive guys, it would at least be a different voice.

I agree with your points. I think it has become an issue ever since the station went to 4 hour shows and cut out Rome. But as for the bolded, it's a neat idea, but Methot's a unique cat. He has the natural ability to be laid back and down to earth and let his 'general cool guy'-ness shine through when put in the spotlight of the media. Most (like 98%) hockey players wouldn't be able to do this very well at all. Imagine Turris. That'd be an hour-long train wreck. I could see Spezza, Ryan and Andy doing alright, though.

I'd want Spezza on just to hear an hour of this:

Last edited:

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I agree the hosts need a change. Rather than two 4 hours shows, lets make 3 shows, the first one 2 hours, the second one 3 hours and third one 3 hours. The middle show can be a national show about all major sports stories and the other two can have exclusively local programming with lots of NHL talk.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I agree the hosts need a change. Rather than two 4 hours shows, lets make 3 shows, the first one 2 hours, the second one 3 hours and third one 3 hours. The middle show can be a national show about all major sports stories and the other two can have exclusively local programming with lots of NHL talk.

I like it the way it is, I wouldn't listen if they switched formats with a national or american feed in the middle of the day, just like I didn't listen when they had Jim Rome.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tomorrow should be an interesting day to listen to talk radio after the debacle tonight, the pitchforks & torches should all be in full display.

hockeylovingirl

It's not so much the hosts as the guests. They need to find guests other than hosts on the other shows. The same four or five guests seem to be on all the shows or the pregame. Enough with Don Brennan and Garrioch, there has to be other hockey voices in this country or even if they have to the States to mix things up. Or since they are suppose to be a "sports" station cover other sports.

Alfieghetti

inflamed
Jul 29, 2009
i dunno, the simmer at 7 segment this morning brought a unique perspective that i didnt get from the hosts, steve warne and shawn simpson.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It's not so much the hosts as the guests. They need to find guests other than hosts on the other shows. The same four or five guests seem to be on all the shows or the pregame. Enough with Don Brennan and Garrioch, there has to be other hockey voices in this country or even if they have to the States to mix things up. Or since they are suppose to be a "sports" station cover other sports.

This is a product of these guys not doing any prep work for their shows. My favorite line is every morning when JR asks Simmer about whats coming up on the Drive and Simmer gives his...."umm, umm, a little Garry Galley, some hockey talk....and some irons in the fire"

TSN690 in Montreal has a revolving door of guests from the TSN hockey panel. No excuses for the guys at TSN1200, they are an affiliate too. Instead, we get AJ and Brennan or Garrioch. cause our hosts don't have to do any work to get these clowns on the radio.

Im so excited for this summer when the World Cup of soccer is going on and they bring AJ on as their soccer insider. Or now that Graham Creech has his own show (bahahahaha), I am sure he will now become a resident in-house expert on something.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
i dunno, the simmer at 7 segment this morning brought a unique perspective that i didnt get from the hosts, steve warne and shawn simpson.

Bahahahahha. I always find it hilarious that they still do "Simmer at 7" when Simmer is hosting the show. He just repeats himself all morning from 6-10.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Not the radio,but media related.
Alan Panzeri has been let go at the Citizen.
It seems like there has been less and less from him.
Still its sad to see anyone lose their job after so many years.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Not the radio,but media related.
Alan Panzeri has been let go at the Citizen.
It seems like there has been less and less from him.
Still its sad to see anyone lose their job after so many years.

They said they are going to have a hockey analytics column on Mondays. Yost (New Yorker) mc79 (Edmonton) and Grame Nichols (local) are going to talk about Ovechkin, instead of...say...the Ottawa Senators. Huzzah! :shakehead:laugh:

hockeylovingirl

This is a product of these guys not doing any prep work for their shows. My favorite line is every morning when JR asks Simmer about whats coming up on the Drive and Simmer gives his...."umm, umm, a little Garry Galley, some hockey talk....and some irons in the fire"

TSN690 in Montreal has a revolving door of guests from the TSN hockey panel. No excuses for the guys at TSN1200, they are an affiliate too. Instead, we get AJ and Brennan or Garrioch. cause our hosts don't have to do any work to get these clowns on the radio.

Im so excited for this summer when the World Cup of soccer is going on and they bring AJ on as their soccer insider. Or now that Graham Creech has his own show (bahahahaha), I am sure he will now become a resident in-house expert on something.

You have a good point about the prep work, not to pick on Shawn Simpson because I know that's not allowed on anymore, but if he such a hockey insider shouldn't he have more contacts to get more hockey people on? Half the time when he does say he's got one of his "good buddies" on the show they are no shows, like Hitchcock yesterday.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
At the end of the day looking at the sample size since TSN came on the scene, programming is trending in the wrong direction and not getting enough traction.

Moving forward, it is time to turn the page and get away from the negativity constantly expressed by its loyal listeners.
Back in the day 1200 may have had a vision but now..... "it is what it is"!

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Been listening to Liam Maguire the last few Satuday's. If you are under the age of 40 you will not understand most of what he talks about let alone try and answer any of his trivia questions. The fact he talks about present day NHL 20% of the time keeps me somewhat interested.

It could be so much better but it is basically a hockey show from 1960 - 1980.

Not like I wasn't expecting it when his show was announced but, ya know. :shakehead

Alfieghetti

inflamed
Jul 29, 2009
They said they are going to have a hockey analytics column on Mondays. Yost (New Yorker) mc79 (Edmonton) and Grame Nichols (local) are going to talk about Ovechkin, instead of...say...the Ottawa Senators. Huzzah! :shakehead:laugh:

Yup, I have no idea how anyone not located in Ottawa could possibly offer any sort of insight or perspective on the team or things that might affect its management and/or performance. No thanks!:yo:

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Yup, I have no idea how anyone not located in Ottawa could possibly offer any sort of insight or perspective on the team or things that might affect its management and/or performance. No thanks!:yo:

Yost writes about the club daily already, so there is no real issue with him not being located in Ottawa. Analytics involves numbers, so not being able to talk with any of the players or management is really irrelevant as well.

The only question is whether analytics is far enough along to feed a weekly column. For all of the "fancy stats" stuff you hear, it is basically still counting things and turning them into percentages. At its core, it is really all about glorified plus minus stats. And it gets "fancy" when they put numbers over 60 to get per game counts.

The new analytics you see is generally completely clueless about how to approach goaltending, which is ironic because Corsi was developed to measure goaltending performance.

But whatever, I will definitely give it a chance and see if it is entertaining or provides something new.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Hmmmm. As you were saying....

TSN1200 has a new show on Sunday mornings. I did not listen, but through Twitter, it appears as though the first two guests on this brand new show were Ian Mendes and AJ Jacubek. Way to step it up guys.

hockeylovingirl

Hmmmm. As you were saying....

TSN1200 has a new show on Sunday mornings. I did not listen, but through Twitter, it appears as though the first two guests on this brand new show were Ian Mendes and AJ Jacubek. Way to step it up guys.

I know that's the first thing I thought of when I read on twitter who the guests were, how sad. Let me guess next week is Lloydy, Yorky, or Simmer. Is it really that hard to find knowledgeable people to talk hockey?

What I wonder do they get paid by how many minutes they're on the air or are they salary? Because as much as Shawn Simpson is on TSN, OTR, and the National News he must be pulling in the big bucks they days.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
You have a good point about the prep work, not to pick on Shawn Simpson because I know that's not allowed on anymore, but if he such a hockey insider shouldn't he have more contacts to get more hockey people on? Half the time when he does say he's got one of his "good buddies" on the show they are no shows, like Hitchcock yesterday.

Today they had on Mike Liut, who is Ryan Miller's agent. Good interview, Liut is articulate and gave some forthright answers to the questions ... all of which were reasonable and short.

Very timely guest, considering Millers trade on the weekend.

And, Liut's parting shot was "Any time Simmer!" so there is clearly a relationship there.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Yost writes about the club daily already, so there is no real issue with him not being located in Ottawa. Analytics involves numbers, so not being able to talk with any of the players or management is really irrelevant as well.

The only question is whether analytics is far enough along to feed a weekly column. ....

I'd say the real question is whether there are enough fans actually interested in advanced stats to actually justify a weekly column.

I could be wrong, but my perception is there are very few hockey fans interested in the topic.

hockeylovingirl

Today they had on Mike Liut, who is Ryan Miller's agent. Good interview, Liut is articulate and gave some forthright answers to the questions ... all of which were reasonable and short.

Very timely guest, considering Millers trade on the weekend.

And, Liut's parting shot was "Any time Simmer!" so there is clearly a relationship there.

I agree it was a great interview and a nice job by Mr. Simpson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad