The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread - Mod Warning Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Love that he wont be on TSN 1200 anymore. I despise that man. Doubt the suits at TSN or Bell want to be associated with him.

"hey i like player x, he reminds me of player Y from a time before most of you were born. He was a true canadian kid. That guy scored two goals every game on tuesday when it happened to be raining. Amazing stuff. Hey speaking of canadian kids, i can't believe that Paul Henderson isn't in the hall of fame? Can u believe that. Also I like beer. Did u know that? You know who else liked beer? Paul Henderson. Come to my bar, bring money."

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
You think so? Grady Whittenburg is very good but so is AJ Jakubec. Both of them are NHL-calibre play-by-play men.

I might have exaggerated a bit haha. I do like Jakubec, but it was more of a comment on how impressed with the B-Sens announcers I was.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
"hey i like player x, he reminds me of player Y from a time before most of you were born. He was a true canadian kid. That guy scored two goals every game on tuesday when it happened to be raining. Amazing stuff. Hey speaking of canadian kids, i can't believe that Paul Henderson isn't in the hall of fame? Can u believe that. Also I like beer. Did u know that? You know who else liked beer? Paul Henderson. Come to my bar, bring money."

Yes, and...

"Lads", "pints", "the boys", "fellas", "the Oreilly (or some other generic Ottawa last name) brothers were tough as..."

Ugh, he's nothing but a drunk blow hard wannabe Don Cherry.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I must say simmer has been very good of late keeping his bad jokes in check. Seems like when Terry comes on it's go time but other than that it has been easier to live with.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Terry is awesome. He comes on for a 5 minute segment. Now for a 4 hour slot it might be much but for what he does it is fun.

I'll disagree with you re: Terry. When he comes on, often times it reminds me of the kind of radio listening akin to Yorkie's backyard rink updates or sweater talk. It's generally unintelligent surficial talk, and I think it sounds more like two or three office workers talking at the water cooler. Mind you, it does break up the monotony of a stretched out 4 hour show, but it accomplishes little else.

Edit - I had to laugh last night at Lee and AJ doing the 67's game in Oshawa. It was 6-0 Oshawa, and they were just trying to maintain any sort of reasonable listenership for the game. The game basically broke down into a talk show between the two of them, discussing weekend plans, the cookies for sale in the rink, and heart-shaped doughnuts. I wasn't in a music mood in the car, so I sat there and listened. I kind of enjoyed it actually. Lee likes to antagonize a little, but AJ doesn't bite too often.

That said, AJ is not an NHL calibre announcer. Not enough flow to his speech.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'll disagree with you re: Terry. When he comes on, often times it reminds me of the kind of radio listening akin to Yorkie's backyard rink updates or sweater talk. It's generally unintelligent surficial talk, and I think it sounds more like two or three office workers talking at the water cooler. Mind you, it does break up the monotony of a stretched out 4 hour show, but it accomplishes little else.

Edit - I had to laugh last night at Lee and AJ doing the 67's game in Oshawa. It was 6-0 Oshawa, and they were just trying to maintain any sort of reasonable listenership for the game. The game basically broke down into a talk show between the two of them, discussing weekend plans, the cookies for sale in the rink, and heart-shaped doughnuts. I wasn't in a music mood in the car, so I sat there and listened. I kind of enjoyed it actually. Lee likes to antagonize a little, but AJ doesn't bite too often.

That said, AJ is not an NHL calibre announcer. Not enough flow to his speech.
Terry is what he is, a local sports reporter. Breaking up the monotonous rambling that are 4 hour sports shows is okay for 5 minutes. Doing a plug for his segment isn't the end of the world. When he and Simmer team up on Leever can be quite funny.

Aj does say "Ahhhhh" a lot.

Last edited:

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
I have no real problem with Simpson. He's an NHL veteran that's slowly learning the trade. Unlike others, he didn't cut his teeth doing CIS sports on some no-name station. He's getting better as time goes on, and at least brings an "insider" perspective on local issues.

I'll take his giggling to Tim and Sid on 1310 talking about what Phaneuf had for lunch that day.

York has gotten so much better of the years. I'm surprised there's less patience for Simpson.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
WHAT? AJ Jakubec is nowhere near NHL calibre. Whittenburg on the other hand is the real deal.

AJ would make a great colour man with his tremendous knowledge base of Junior hockey but as a play by play guy he has peaked. Can't fault his passion though!

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Looks like JR sent out a memo for Simmer to be a little more active on Twitter.

Following Simmer on Twitter is just like listening to him on the radio, its so bad that he is a must follow just for the laughs. Blows my mind wondering what, if anything, goes on in that dude's mind.

As for Marcotte...his 5 minute segment has to be the absolute worst in sports radio history.

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013
Now we have Shawn Simpson detractors tuning in daily and following him on twitter - you can't make this stuff up.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
As for Marcotte...his 5 minute segment has to be the absolute worst in sports radio history.

Tony Greco has his own segment. On Wednesdnays. For a half-hour or so.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah..........you wanna cut down your sugars......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh......it will help you in the bedroom...aaaaahhhhhhhhhh....you know if you exercise it helps you....aaaaaaahhhhhhh...Claude Giroux works out with Greco and we're opening in Outoftownsville...aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh...supplements are good."

:laugh::laugh::sarcasm:

Terry is what he is, a local sports reporter. Breaking up the monotonous rambling that are 4 hour sports shows is okay for 5 minutes. Doing a plug for his segment isn't the end of the world. When he and Simmer team up on Leever can be quite funny.

Aj does say "Ahhhhh" a lot.

Terry is awesome, supremely badass and best of all? He complains about the Senators. Every time I hear him do a rip job in that smooth velvet voice it sends me into paroxysms of joy. He's the only guy in Ottawa that asks hard questions about the team and bless him for doing so!

I think it's a slow day for them.

Like most of the station, anything outside of hockey and they really have no idea. Steve on winning women's ski slopestyle gold this morning said something to the effect of I'm so pumped up for winning gold in a sport I didn't know existed 10 minutes ago!

Come on, Warnsey. At least pretend to care a bit!

That's why you make my fine system mandatory.
First offence (Offence being defined as unprofessional, off-topic garbage you shouldn't be hearing on this radio station), $1,000. Second offence $5,000. Third offence, month long suspension. It's really the only way to keep people on track. Warne has a severe little man syndrome though, it probably explains his weird Leafs obsession (big city vs. moderate city) and his talking about his privates at urinals. :help:

Oh to be program director for a week, the station would be unrecognizable... :yo:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Now we have Shawn Simpson detractors tuning in daily and following him on twitter - you can't make this stuff up.

Not sure if you read what I said, that Simmer is now pure comedy. Like, whats he gonna say next, or whats he gonna tweet next.

Im also pretty sure that its MY opinion and not yours and I am pretty sure that this is a "forum". You are entitled to your opinion, as I am with mine. A "forum" is an online discussion.

Here is what I wrote in the old thread:

Look, I love sports. Football, baseball, hockey, basketball and damn even curling. So, having a sports radio station in this city is a blessing for sure and have been a loyal listener from Day 1, even though every single one of the hosts drives me absolutely bonkers 75% of the time. Why do I still listen? I still tune in cause sometimes I get the good 25%. Look, anything is better that Hot 89.9. The 75-25 applies to Simmer too. Sometimes he has very good takes, but most of the time he just rambles, contradicts himself and just completely takes over most interviews with childish giggles and inappropriate humour.

The main problem I have with all the hosts is that they seem to work with this attitude like they are untouchable, local celebrities. Most people thrive to be better at what they do and these guys seem completely content with the status quo. They all seem to think that they are at the top of their profession. Prep work seems minimal and a lot of their discussions are based on tweets that they read throughout the day.

When TSN came on board, I was excited. I thought that these guys would all look to use the TSN brand to springboard them to bigger, better things. I thought guys like Dreger, LeBrun, Duthie, Aaron Ward etc would all become regular "hockey insiders" on the shows, like they are on TSN690 in Montreal and TSN1050 in Toronto, but still nothing has changed with the station. They only guy who has seemed to have distanced himself from the clown show and has really looked at this as an opportunity is AJ. I was the biggest AJ hater in the past and am now the first to admit that he does do a great job on the pre/post game shows and has come a long way.

I and others I know have sent respectful emails and tweets to the radio station voicing concerns, only to get replies basically telling their listeners to F-off and that they'll do what they want. This is really the only place I can rant about the station.

Who knows, maybe they are getting an increase in listeners every year, and if they are, I applaud them and will be the first to admit that I am wrong, however, I highly doubt that their numbers are going up. I think its insulting to their loyal listeners to think that status quo is good.

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013
I fully agree.

The Simmer detractors and their many, many opinions of him have obviously become the driving influence on this thread - and I find it absolutely hilarious. I just come here read and have fun. I guess you could even say "its so bad that (it) is a must follow just for the laughs." It's become pure comedy.

But that's just MY opinion.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Switching to a positive note for once, new show on TSN 1200 debuts tomorrow.. they were talking about it the other day on The Drive, it focuses on minor hockey. Really good idea in my opinion, hopefully they put pressure on coaches and parents to start acting their age when dealing with minor sports, the way fully grown adults are acting in the arena has become a huge problem.

They have had this type of show for a few years now. I believe it is on once a week and discusses all the various topics that relate to minor hockey in general and locally. In the past i tried to tune into the shows where they discuss hockey parents as i have always gotten a good laugh from these maniacs who ruin there kids childhoods by trying to live through them and the hosts/callers usually relay some good stories about this subject.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
When TSN came on board, I was excited. I thought that these guys would all look to use the TSN brand to springboard them to bigger, better things. I thought guys like Dreger, LeBrun, Duthie, Aaron Ward etc would all become regular "hockey insiders" on the shows, like they are on TSN690 in Montreal and TSN1050 in Toronto, but still nothing has changed with the station.

I saw this in the old thread and I really agree. I was very excited for more knowledgeable interviews to happen on a daily basis. Instead nothing at all has changed. Okay fine, bring on the GM or colour guy of the opposing team on game day like they always do - good for the station having an interview, but I'd love to hear some in-depth interviews from unbiased and top analysts in the NHL not named Pierre McGuire, of which TSN has plenty. You'd think with the station being a TSN product this wouldn't be too hard to do. The biggest change was to TGOR having Simmer on, a guy who is already on the station for 4 hours later in the day, making it redundant. Not that Simmer at 7 is actually bad - I think it's Simpson's best 20 minutes of radio in the day.

I fully agree.

The Simmer detractors and their many, many opinions of him have obviously become the driving influence on this thread - and I find it absolutely hilarious. I just come here read and have fun. I guess you could even say "its so bad that (it) is a must follow just for the laughs." It's become pure comedy.

But that's just MY opinion.

Eh, that's partly why the old thread was shut down. It was toxic in there. Just ignore the "simmer sideshow", no sense letting this fresh thread get soiled so quickly.

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013
Eh, that's partly why the old thread was shut down. It was toxic in there. Just ignore the "simmer sideshow", no sense letting this fresh thread get soiled so quickly.

You misunderstand, I'm here for the Simmer sideshow. Much better than what's on the actual station lol.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I saw this in the old thread and I really agree. I was very excited for more knowledgeable interviews to happen on a daily basis. Instead nothing at all has changed. Okay fine, bring on the GM or colour guy of the opposing team on game day like they always do - good for the station having an interview, but I'd love to hear some in-depth interviews from unbiased and top analysts in the NHL not named Pierre McGuire, of which TSN has plenty. You'd think with the station being a TSN product this wouldn't be too hard to do. The biggest change was to TGOR having Simmer on, a guy who is already on the station for 4 hours later in the day, making it redundant. Not that Simmer at 7 is actually bad - I think it's Simpson's best 20 minutes of radio in the day.

Agree exactly. Simmer and his takes aren't horrible, but for a guy who already hosts a 4-hour show on the station, his 15 minutes in the morning are just a recap of his 4-hour show from the day before. I think the station itself killed Simmer and created the negative reaction. When he was an actual "hockey insider" on the station, the 15 minutes on TGOR were great.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
They need to get Marc Methot on the radio more often. He is awesome to listen to.

I could see him following the jason york route once his playing day7s are over.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
They need to get Marc Methot on the radio more often. He is awesome to listen to.

I could see him following the jason york route once his playing day7s are over.

Yeah, Methot was solid. It'd be great it they rotated a few players through once a month or at least a few times a season. Made for great radio!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad