TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Another one I start listening this year is Pierre McGuire and enjoy. I read bad comment about him here but the guys really positive about the Sens

I like Pierre in terms of his calls.

He's canny enough to cater to his audiences so it's interesting to hear slightly different takes depending on which radio station you are listening to, but I find him interesting.

Reactions: Cosmix

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Pretty audacious take when you're already at the bottom and there is only one direction aside from staying where you are. ;)

In any event, I do like that he provides some insight into some of the bizarre lineup decisions early on.

He's a much better voice on the Senators than Garrioch.

That's like saying an NHL player would be a much better defenceman for the Sens than that dude who snuck out on to the ice for Senators practice in the inaugural year.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Good interview, deserves a listen

what @ianmendes failed to mention was that PD magically built a team that was able to compete with the two teams that everyone feared in the north; Montreal and Toronto. Their goal was to not get slaughter by those two teams. Unfortunately, PD put on blinders and built a team matched for only those two teams. :sarcasm:

...or maybe it’s just bad luck.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
what @ianmendes failed to mention was that PD magically built a team that was able to compete with the two teams that everyone feared in the north; Montreal and Toronto. Their goal was to not get slaughter by those two teams. Unfortunately, PD put on blinders and built a team matched for only those two teams. :sarcasm:

...or maybe it’s just bad luck.
tenor.gif

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Nice a chance to listen to Ian this morning. Good Monday

Ian, if you pop on here. It was great to hear you again for a longer amount of time. Also agree with you love to hear Lee, as a fill in for Simmer, will JR.

Have a wonderful vacation Simmer.

Last edited:

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
I caught the second half of Dean Brown's hit on 1200. The conversation become a general one about the league. He was great. Articulate, honest, profound....

He is unbearable when he talks about the Sens. That which he will speaks poorly of in regards to other teams, he lauds for the Sens!!!

This goes for all the local media...

Why cannot we have local media that is unattached? One that is not a stake holder..Not a bell property, not a Rogers property, not a Postmedia property!!!!

If the 10 minutes that he spoke reflected his entire segment and if all media was this neutral...ugggghhhh.

Saul Fisher, Rest in peace! May your memory be a blessing

otown

Sep 4, 2009
I caught the second half of Dean Brown's hit on 1200. The conversation become a general one about the league. He was great. Articulate, honest, profound....

He is unbearable when he talks about the Sens. That which he will speaks poorly of in regards to other teams, he lauds for the Sens!!!

This goes for all the local media...

Why cannot we have local media that is unattached? One that is not a stake holder..Not a bell property, not a Rogers property, not a Postmedia property!!!!

If the 10 minutes that he spoke reflected his entire segment and if all media was this neutral...ugggghhhh.

Saul Fisher, Rest in peace! May your memory be a blessing

Couldn't agree more but it's a case of the old "don't bite the hand that feeds you" !

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Is Simmer ok? Covid? I may not always like him, I don't wish him anything bad especially illness. Hope you are back soon, hopefully what is keeping you away is a great vacation

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Let's be clear, all of the guys PD added over the summer were stop gap players until the prospects were NHL ready. I don't think anyone would have thought that they would all fail, but it seems that is what happened & slowly got replaced by the younger players as they became NHL ready. I also think he thought he would get more from some of those guys at the trade deadline which didn't work out as well as he thought it might have. Losing Stepan for the season must have hurt too since he was starting to play better & could have gotten something for him.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Let's be clear, all of the guys PD added over the summer were stop gap players until the prospects were NHL ready. I don't think anyone would have thought that they would all fail, but it seems that is what happened & slowly got replaced by the younger players as they became NHL ready. I also think he thought he would get more from some of those guys at the trade deadline which didn't work out as well as he thought it might have. Losing Stepan for the season must have hurt too since he was starting to play better & could have gotten something for him.

Yes, i think you've nailed his intent

I find most of the criticism essentially bouls down to criticism of the intent. And we're shaping up for another round of it with talk of all the talent we need

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yes, i think you've nailed his intent

I find most of the criticism essentially bouls down to criticism of the intent. And we're shaping up for another round of it with talk of all the talent we need

There was criticism for the players he got (Stepan, Coburn, Paquette, Gudbranson, J. Brown). A few had rose-colored glasses about those players.

Reactions: DrEasy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I guess if the idea is that even if the stopgap vets aren't as good as the younger players they are still needed to let the youth movement acclimate to the NHL then it is fine.

If the idea was the vets are going to be better than the rookies and lead the way then it was flawed.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter as our young forwards had plenty of opportunity and were thrust in to top 6 roles. Only kid I think could have had a better development path is Brann - he seemed like he was in limbo many times and while NHL practices are good, he went too long without being in games IMO.

We are pretty much past this now as GMPD will be hard pressed to jam more 2nd tier vets on to the team next season.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I guess if the idea is that even if the stopgap vets aren't as good as the younger players they are still needed to let the youth movement acclimate to the NHL then it is fine.

If the idea was the vets are going to be better than the rookies and lead the way then it was flawed.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter as our young forwards had plenty of opportunity and were thrust in to top 6 roles. Only kid I think could have had a better development path is Brann - he seemed like he was in limbo many times and while NHL practices are good, he went too long without being in games IMO.

We are pretty much past this now as GMPD will be hard pressed to jam more 2nd tier vets on to the team next season.

I hope you are right, but I have this sick feeling in my stomach.

Reactions: DrEasy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad