TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Tsn1200 needs more hosts, poor Lee and Hammer get stuck doing the weekend show. Of course "I'm better than everyone " Simmer can't even do a Sens game unless it's on at convenient time for him on Saturday. No Sundays or late start on Saturday

Did Simmer give you this info directly?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
most interesting bit for me was Wallace mentioning that Brown basically screwed himself over when he nailed chabot in a scrimmage game or whatever. I wonder if they sent him down to send a message or there was more to that hit...it was an interesting point and not talked about here as much

That part confuses me. Don't we want these kids battling hard in training camp? NHL is still a physical league.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
That part confuses me. Don't we want these kids battling hard in training camp? NHL is still a physical league.

Context matters here.

It sure sounds like L. Brown has an attitude problem and if in the lead up to the hit on Chabot had him pouting and such, the hit can be seen in another light.

Then there is the matter of the hit himself. A hit can be "legal" while still being predatory or maybe the hit was just straight up dirty? I don't believe we have footage of it?

Considering how we need more skill at C and that Brown was Dorion's first pick, it is hard for me to think the organization doesn't want him to succeed. The Sens have absolutely no reason to make his path to the NHL more difficult, if he isn't making it, it likely is on him.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I dunno Wallace seemed super salty during the whole interview. The whole part where he seemed to think that we have seen brown enough last year to know what he is just seemed dumb

I doubt they sent brown down cause he hit chabot . That seems a little too much when you desperately need good Center depth

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Context matters here.

It sure sounds like L. Brown has an attitude problem and if in the lead up to the hit on Chabot had him pouting and such, the hit can be seen in another light.

Then there is the matter of the hit himself. A hit can be "legal" while still being predatory or maybe the hit was just straight up dirty? I don't believe we have footage of it?

Considering how we need more skill at C and that Brown was Dorion's first pick, it is hard for me to think the organization doesn't want him to succeed. The Sens have absolutely no reason to make his path to the NHL more difficult, if he isn't making it, it likely is on him.

That's one of the frustrating things this year. Very little in the way of footage or info from camp. Hard to know what went on when you can see anything.

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Did Simmer give you this info directly?
He tells us all as his brags about not working certain games not too mention all his time at his Dachta. Besides all you have to do is listen to a game to see how few he works

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
He tells us all as his brags about not working certain games not too mention all his time at his Dachta. Besides all you have to do is listen to a game to see how few he works

Honest question...why do you tune in if it pisses you off so much? There's other radio stations that (hopefully) dont raise your blood pressure so much.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Marc Methot....Give him a show.

the mid day time slot, the late afternoon/early evening slot..what have you. This guy is good. Pair him with a minimal talker..someone who can introduce the subject and ask the quick one line questions and have the show be his.

Fresh Blood...until TV steals him away.

Reactions: otown and Bileur

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Marc Methot....Give him a show.

the mid day time slot, the late afternoon/early evening slot..what have you. This guy is good. Pair him with a minimal talker..someone who can introduce the subject and ask the quick one line questions and have the show be his.

Fresh Blood...until TV steals him away.
Was going to suggest that they should get him to do Sens pre-game shows. It seems to me they're in a rotation on that with four pairs ... Versage/Brad Smith ("HOF"), Lloyd/Stevenson, Creech/Simmer and AJ/Brendan Bell.

I like the former players the best (HOF and Bell), and I think it works for them because their off the cuff / anecdotal style is good once a week, but may not be good every day.

So, I'd advocate Methot replacing Simmer once a week on pre-games. Not because I don't like Simmer, but because we already have lots of exposure to his ideas on the morning show.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Was going to suggest that they should get him to do Sens pre-game shows. It seems to me they're in a rotation on that with four pairs ... Versage/Brad Smith ("HOF"), Lloyd/Stevenson, Creech/Simmer and AJ/Brendan Bell.

I like the former players the best (HOF and Bell), and I think it works for them because their off the cuff / anecdotal style is good once a week, but may not be good every day.

So, I'd advocate Methot replacing Simmer once a week on pre-games. Not because I don't like Simmer, but because we already have lots of exposure to his ideas on the morning show.
This is personal taste kind of thing. We all have our own likes and dislikes..so, not a critique of your preferences.

I like Simmer's zaniness..it is refreshing and I believe that he is far sharper than we give him credit for. He drops nuggets that can go un-noticed, but are sharp. So, I like him on there and 5 days a week. Plus the odd appearance on the pre-game show.

My beef is; with Whity gone, with Jason York gone. There is no ex pro (hockey, or football, or other) on there. It is guys with zero sports history..I know, you can be just as knowledgeable...but, you do not have insight, or inside stories.

you could even mix and match. Get Methot on there with an ex CFLr. Or an ex elite-athlete, baseball, soccer, baseball, golf...etc. Find someone in the city. Get a Jeff Avery to cohost with Methot. Give them a good producer/director who can guide the show and let them be.

I have two left feet, let me be upfront. I played rec hockey only. And so, I laugh at the 6 million posts on here of guys who talk the minutia of the game. I trip over my own feet avoiding a large number of threads that discuss specifics and I will only post general comments and often enough on non detailed subjects (this as an example). I find that the TSN1200 on air people are the just like here. Guys who probably cannot skate, but see themselves as hockey savants and can coach a power-play better than pro coaches..It becomes silly....listen to Methot's explanation on fighting and the NY rangers stuff from a few years ago,..and then see the babble on here...silly

New blood, new knowledgeable blood. New blood that can give insight. I would feel so much better if I ever saw the TSN1200 hosts play a pickup hockey game. T least I would know they can skate.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
The Methot call in on 1200 today is exactly what this station needs. Articulate insight into the game from a recent player who can break down the finer details of a game.
Methot has a way of getting the listener to understand what it might be like to prepare physically and mentally for circumstances that might arise over the course of a game.
This guy is a natural! At the very least give him a weekly segment or a place on a pre-game panel.
He is so passionate about the game he'd probably do it for free!

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The Methot call in on 1200 today is exactly what this station needs. Articulate insight into the game from a recent player who can break down the finer details of a game.
Methot has a way of getting the listener to understand what it might be like to prepare physically and mentally for circumstances that might arise over the course of a game.
This guy is a natural! At the very least give him a weekly segment or a place on a pre-game panel.
He is so passionate about the game he'd probably do it for free!
Agreed, there is just no motivation for these guys to be on the radio every day when they have 20 sheets in the bank and the salary they are going to be offered is like 35,000 a year.

Is AJ coming back to the 10 to 2 time slot? I cant listen to Steve Lloyd anymore, just a mouth piece for the team.

Reactions: cudi

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Agreed, there is just no motivation for these guys to be on the radio every day when they have 20 sheets in the bank and the salary they are going to be offered is like 35,000 a year.

Is AJ coming back to the 10 to 2 time slot? I cant listen to Steve Lloyd anymore, just a mouth piece for the team.

I hope so lol. Can't stand Lloyd either. He seems way too fanboy like when he interviews players or former players.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I hope so lol. Can't stand Lloyd either. He seems way too fanboy like when he interviews players or former players.
Yeah, always defends the organization too. Only time I ever hear him be critical is immediately after they have a bad game, when it comes to roster moves, ice time etc he either has no opinion or he backs the teams decision.

Edit * Now they are saying that its worse to be a Sabres fan. Lloyd also loves to do this, dont throw stones living in a glass house.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
A guest will be rambling on about something and Lloyd will take the ramble and reword it into a question, and then say would you agree with that.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
This is personal taste kind of thing. We all have our own likes and dislikes..so, not a critique of your preferences.

I like Simmer's zaniness..it is refreshing and I believe that he is far sharper than we give him credit for. He drops nuggets that can go un-noticed, but are sharp. So, I like him on there and 5 days a week. Plus the odd appearance on the pre-game show.

My beef is; with Whity gone, with Jason York gone. There is no ex pro (hockey, or football, or other) on there. It is guys with zero sports history..I know, you can be just as knowledgeable...but, you do not have insight, or inside stories.

you could even mix and match. Get Methot on there with an ex CFLr. Or an ex elite-athlete, baseball, soccer, baseball, golf...etc. Find someone in the city. Get a Jeff Avery to cohost with Methot. Give them a good producer/director who can guide the show and let them be.

I have two left feet, let me be upfront. I played rec hockey only. And so, I laugh at the 6 million posts on here of guys who talk the minutia of the game. I trip over my own feet avoiding a large number of threads that discuss specifics and I will only post general comments and often enough on non detailed subjects (this as an example). I find that the TSN1200 on air people are the just like here. Guys who probably cannot skate, but see themselves as hockey savants and can coach a power-play better than pro coaches..It becomes silly....listen to Methot's explanation on fighting and the NY rangers stuff from a few years ago,..and then see the babble on here...silly

New blood, new knowledgeable blood. New blood that can give insight. I would feel so much better if I ever saw the TSN1200 hosts play a pickup hockey game. T least I would know they can skate.
Yeah I agree with all of this, for sure.

My idea really is just that a good starting point for him would be the pre-game shows, either as a method for him to get his feet wet or as a role that wouldn't have quite the same time demands as a daily show (I think he and his wife have a pretty young child at home... she might not be too thilled with him jumping back into a 35 hour a week job!)

I agree with @otown that Methot really is a natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad