TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Yeah, always defends the organization too. Only time I ever hear him be critical is immediately after they have a bad game, when it comes to roster moves, ice time etc he either has no opinion or he backs the teams decision.

Edit * Now they are saying that its worse to be a Sabres fan. Lloyd also loves to do this, don't throw stones living in a glass house.
I am not sure that this will last. A very similar discussion took place 4-5 weeks ago and got deleted.

Lloyd's very good friend and I believe the man responsible for him surviving in this business is; Sens assistant coach and former player, Sean Donovan. Still employed by the team!!!!
Llyod worked for the Sens at one time. I believe that he was an aide to B. Murray, although I could be wrong. He recounts a story about his sister or wife (Llyod's) once giving Murray a piece of her mind and he had to rush to Murray to apologize. Murray took it well
Lloyd has seen many of his colleagues be beheaded by the Sens (Hello Ian Mendes, Hello Brent Wallace).
Lloyd has seen that there is only one big dog here..one radio station, zero TV, a tiny print media.

So yea, you cheer-lead...Remember when Garrioch and Stevenson were fire and brimstone!! Now they are lava lamps and lavender oil.

TSN TV shells out 45 million a year for Sens rights...TSN radio probably does its best numbers on Sens hockey. Do you really think they want to be harsh on something they have a vested interest in seeing boom?

Regardless of who sits in those chairs, they are not impartial and cannot be. Too much conflict of interest.

Michaela Shreiter gets her own radio show and has her own blog and twitter followers. Starts speaking her mind and boom OSEG hires her...Next thing you know, OSEG can do no wrong.

We would all do the same....The days of media being on the side of the public and being the 5th estate disappeared with Edward R. Murrow. He died in the mid 1960's.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I am not sure that this will last. A very similar discussion took place 4-5 weeks ago and got deleted.

Lloyd's very good friend and I believe the man responsible for him surviving in this business is; Sens assistant coach and former player, Sean Donovan. Still employed by the team!!!!
Llyod worked for the Sens at one time. I believe that he was an aide to B. Murray, although I could be wrong. He recounts a story about his sister or wife (Llyod's) once giving Murray a piece of her mind and he had to rush to Murray to apologize. Murray took it well
Lloyd has seen many of his colleagues be beheaded by the Sens (Hello Ian Mendes, Hello Brent Wallace).
Lloyd has seen that there is only one big dog here..one radio station, zero TV, a tiny print media.

So yea, you cheer-lead...Remember when Garrioch and Stevenson were fire and brimstone!! Now they are lava lamps and lavender oil.

TSN TV shells out 45 million a year for Sens rights...TSN radio probably does its best numbers on Sens hockey. Do you really think they want to be harsh on something they have a vested interest in seeing boom?

Regardless of who sits in those chairs, they are not impartial and cannot be. Too much conflict of interest.

Michaela Shreiter gets her own radio show and has her own blog and twitter followers. Starts speaking her mind and boom OSEG hires her...Next thing you know, OSEG can do no wrong.

We would all do the same....The days of media being on the side of the public and being the 5th estate disappeared with Edward R. Murrow. He died in the mid 1960's.

AJ literally doesnt do it. Being realistic throughout this process and objective helps more than it hurts. No one wants more of the B.S shoved down our collective throats.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
AJ literally doesn't do it. Being realistic throughout this process and objective helps more than it hurts. No one wants more of the B.S shoved down our collective throats.
AJ's dad owns a medium to big business in Edmonton..you have figured out AJ comes from some level of wealth?
He is single, no home, connections in Western Canada and Oh yea, a family business to fall back on... his ass is protected. And even he, "dances". Listen to him defend OSEG..does not want to lose his play by play gig.

Lloyd is a commoner..2 kids..his paycheck is his mortgage..the guys left at TSN1200...Llyod, Versage, Creech, Dean Brown, (to a small extend Gord Wilson) are commoners...no family business to fall back on. In a city with shrinking opportunity..with kids, homes, etc.

Ottawa media (sport's media) cannot have its loud voices. They will be chopped to bits....

It is probably why ex pros do not work..they cannot be intimidated!!!!! Imagine Methot worth a few million, he won't care about towing the line..so TSN will never hire him..JR would get into trouble...

Simmer probably does not have two pennies to rub together. So he learns to "dance".

TSN is a subsidiary of ESPN...those guys hire and fire at a frightening rate. JR must have to fend off requests for personnel change regularly.

Reactions: Radiogirl

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
AJ's dad owns a medium to big business in Edmonton..you have figured out AJ comes from some level of wealth?
He is single, no home, connections in Western Canada and Oh yea, a family business to fall back on... his ass is protected. And even he, "dances". Listen to him defend OSEG..does not want to lose his play by play gig.

Lloyd is a commoner..2 kids..his paycheck is his mortgage..the guys left at TSN1200...Llyod, Versage, Creech, Dean Brown, (to a small extend Gord Wilson) are commoners...no family business to fall back on. In a city with shrinking opportunity..with kids, homes, etc.

Ottawa media (sport's media) cannot have its loud voices. They will be chopped to bits....

It is probably why ex pros do not work..they cannot be intimidated!!!!! Imagine Methot worth a few million, he won't care about towing the line..so TSN will never hire him..JR would get into trouble...

Simmer probably does not have two pennies to rub together. So he learns to "dance".

TSN is a subsidiary of ESPN...those guys hire and fire at a frightening rate. JR must have to fend off requests for personnel change regularly.
This is ridiculous im sorry. That has nothing to do with the way A.J approaches sports on any level. Spouting it off as fact should be deleted on this forum.

The part about Simmer is also pure speculation.

The methot point also terrible, he has 20 + million in the bank he isnt doing it because he would be making next to no money when he can be focusing on many other things.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Bell media owns 80% of TSN, ESPN has a 20% stake in it.
So ESPN has now say in hirings and firings, only Bell Media.

Methot already said on 1200 not looking for a full time gig, too demanding.

Last edited:

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008

This needs to be deleted. You’ve done nothing here but speculate on matters you obviously have no clue about

Reactions: coladin

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I can imagine that a guy being critical vs kissing up to the organization is slightly influenced by whether he's worried about losing his job.... but only slightly.

The biggest factor is the person's underlying personality.

A guy like AJ seems to be naturally inclined to get emotional and criticize (see his various rants on officiating), a guy like Simmer has a lot of confidence in his opinions and doesn't care if he ruffles feathers.

A guy like Steve Lloyd, on the other hand, seems like someone who wouldn't want to rock any boats, wouldn't want to get on anyone's bad side.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
This is ridiculous im sorry. That has nothing to do with the way A.J approaches sports on any level. Spouting it off as fact should be deleted on this forum.

The part about Simmer is also pure speculation.

The methot point also terrible, he has 20 + million in the bank he isn't doing it because he would be making next to no money when he can be focusing on many other things.
Bert

there is nothing in there that is more than my opinion. And is factual. AJ does come from some level of wealth. Do I believe that, that affords him a level of "bravery"? very much so.

Simmer is speculation. I wrote that..then allow me to ask you. If he is worth bucks..why work in radio at 75 K? when per your words "he isnt doing it because he would be making next to no money when he can be focusing on many other things". Simmer never played (at least long enough), and was never a senior enough executive to make serious coin. I could continue, but it is unnecessary.. My comment was: "Simmer probably....". You should have interpreted that as my conjecture...thus a point to be debated..

As for Methot..he is one of 2-3 players per NHL team that retires each year. That makes ~60-90 players a year. Most have spent the last 20 years of their lives, playing hockey. Many are so fixated on that, that they do not often have other interests. I heard this from Doug Maclean (one time Jackets President)..He use to field a 1/2 dozen calls a year from ex-players wanting back in to hockey..and they would start off wanting to be GMs and then be willing to accept radio. Methot and others are typically 30-40 year olds who suddenly finds themselves with nothing to do and look to start a new career that hopefully lands them in TV ala Tony Romo.. Romo got lucky and hit a home run in his first at bat..Most do not and have to begin slowly..local radio, the way Jason York did. Methot would be too honest and too "unafraid". So why have him? to irk Melnyk..to tell the truth and have fans turn away!!!

The point I was making was; media, particularly in one horse towns is handcuffed. And in Ottawa, it has been chopped to bits. I do not question AJ's integrity. But pride is a luxury of a full stomach. An empty stomach, does all it can to survive.

Don't take this personal Bert. I have always had the strong sense that you are intimately connected to many of the TSN guys..I have read some of your posts..No insult meant. This is more about a view of the picture. Say Hi to AJ and Simmer.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Wrong again, Mendes quit to go to Athletic, did not get canned.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I will not engage you...I believe differently and I have some "evidence" to suggest otherwise.

Lol I’m sure you do, you seem to know everything and everyone. Just like your wrong on ESPN, (only 20%) involved, Bell media the rest.

MM3 is not looking for a full time gig.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Lol I’m sure you do, you seem to know everything and everyone. Just like your wrong on ESPN, (only 20%) involved, Bell media the rest.

MM3 is not looking for a full time gig.
ESPN is an owner, yes part owner and yes 20%..look up the word subsidiary. Wait, here you go...see the part about "partially" or completely.. Now, what I wrote was; they are a subsidiary. As for rest if that line...JR is free to sue me and we can deal with this in the courts.

Can you tell me Mr. Jet, why are your shorts in a knot? If you disagree, you kindly do so in dignified debate fashion, rather than trolling fashion. This is a forum for debate...point, counter point..a person makes an argument, if you agree, you "like" or post a "support" and if you disagree, you counter with a "dignified answer". You and @bert and @Johnny Hanson are blasting away....

Who is MM3 by the way?
upload_2021-2-24_13-42-7.png

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
You know what I like?

When people on the radio talk about the Senators. So I listen to the local radio station sometimes.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
ESPN is an owner, yes part owner and yes 20%..look up the word subsidiary. Wait, here you go...see the part about "partially" or completely.. Now, what I wrote was; they are a subsidiary. As for rest if that line...JR is free to sue me and we can deal with this in the courts.

Can you tell me Mr. Jet, why are your shorts in a knot? If you disagree, you kindly do so in dignified debate fashion, rather than trolling fashion. This is a forum for debate...point, counter point..a person makes an argument, if you agree, you "like" or post a "support" and if you disagree, you counter with a "dignified answer". You and @bert and @Johnny Hanson are blasting away....

Who is MM3 by the way?
View attachment 400017

I am debating, not my problem if I don’t agree with your points.
MM3 is Mark Methot.
The point on ESPN was , ESPN is not doing the firing.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Does anybody have the clip of Tony Marinaro freaking out about Brady Tkachuk today? Saw someone write a quote but wanted to listen

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Unless you're going to provide that evidence, your claims carry no more weight than anyone else on this forum.
I never said that the Sens caused the firing. My opinion is; they influenced it. This has been discussed at length on here, thus it is a public domain issue. No different than discussing if OJ is guilty or innocent.

Mr. Jet, said I wrong on the firing..again, I do not claim he got fired..My claim is; the team influenced personnel changes. Ones that caused a stir in the industry. When I said that I have evidence, I do. That evidence is not " a smoking gun". It is different. It is one that has me believing that Mendes 1) Knew the end was approaching a while back and 2) again, as discussed on here...so a public issue. The behavior of the team, leads me to believe that they either influenced it, or definitely kicked up enough dust around it.

It seems rather strange that the Brent Wallace dismissal was not approached by the Jet.

Do we all really need to go into lawyer mod on this....If a person feels any part of a post is wrong, they are free to disagree and possibly offer a counter argument...Blasting away always has me thinking "me thinkst that thou protests too much"..as in, did I hit a nerve? Strange, all of this began with Bert blasting Lloyd. I offered Lloyd what I thought was a fair defense..It would seem that condemning Lloyd was the preferred route!!!

as for weight on this forum..I am neither judge, nor jury. Neither influencer, nor condemner. You are free to read, or not read..move on, or not..We call it free will. The MODS will govern content. I do believe that in a few moments to hours, after they follow the thread, they will either act or not.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
So Mendes is a liar when he says he had no idea cuts were coming ? What’s your evidence.
Mendes is smart enough to be careful in what he says..Not everyone is Dan O'Toole.

I very much believe that as far back as August he knew to look for work. I very much believe that there was nothing accidental about this. That he sought the job. When he made the announcement on Jan 3, I was not surprised one bit. And then he went on to say: This came up in August..something happened between me and him in August that leads me to believe he was "in a difficult position". I will not elaborate more.

Leave this as a thought in your head..he gets the job in August. no announcement. No, "I will be leaving in 4 months"...No announcement in late December, these are my last 2 weeks. I am off to the Athletic. No announcement from the Athletic of other media of his departure. Did you not find it strange that JR was okay with it? That he should have been blind sided by it and had to run to fill the spot. Do you not find it strange that he got the job in August, at the time 4 months before he fully starts and stays...why not right away? and so on...No one has been hired to fill it!!!

this is fishy..they are smart enough to handle it diplomatically..As for him being a liar..no, he had no idea of the purge...I did..but it was based upon history and logic..I do however feel very confident that he felt heat under his behind and do believe that he jumped before being pushed.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Mendes is smart enough to be careful in what he says..Not everyone is Dan O'Toole.

I very much believe that as far back as August he knew to look for work. I very much believe that there was nothing accidental about this. That he sought the job. When he made the announcement on Jan 3, I was not surprised one bit. And then he went on to say: This came up in August..something happened between me and him in August that leads me to believe he was "in a difficult position". I will not elaborate more.

Leave this as a thought in your head..he gets the job in August. no announcement. No, "I will be leaving in 4 months"...No announcement in late December, these are my last 2 weeks. I am off to the Athletic. No announcement from the Athletic of other media of his departure. Did you not find it strange that JR was okay with it? That he should have been blind sided by it and had to run to fill the spot. Do you not find it strange that he got the job in August, at the time 4 months before he fully starts and stays...why not right away? and so on...No one has been hired to fill it!!!

this is fishy..they are smart enough to handle it diplomatically..As for him being a liar..no, he had no idea of the purge...I did..but it was based upon history and logic..I do however feel very confident that he felt heat under his behind and do believe that he jumped before being pushed.
Gets job in August, let’s JR know he will be leaving at the end of his current contract. Shocking. As for having heads up, even JR doesn’t get advance notice of cuts.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I never said that the Sens caused the firing. My opinion is; they influenced it. This has been discussed at length on here, thus it is a public domain issue. No different than discussing if OJ is guilty or innocent.

Mr. Jet, said I wrong on the firing..again, I do not claim he got fired..My claim is; the team influenced personnel changes. Ones that caused a stir in the industry. When I said that I have evidence, I do. That evidence is not " a smoking gun". It is different. It is one that has me believing that Mendes 1) Knew the end was approaching a while back and 2) again, as discussed on here...so a public issue. The behavior of the team, leads me to believe that they either influenced it, or definitely kicked up enough dust around it.

It seems rather strange that the Brent Wallace dismissal was not approached by the Jet.

Do we all really need to go into lawyer mod on this....If a person feels any part of a post is wrong, they are free to disagree and possibly offer a counter argument...Blasting away always has me thinking "me thinkst that thou protests too much"..as in, did I hit a nerve? Strange, all of this began with Bert blasting Lloyd. I offered Lloyd what I thought was a fair defense..It would seem that condemning Lloyd was the preferred route!!!

as for weight on this forum..I am neither judge, nor jury. Neither influencer, nor condemner. You are free to read, or not read..move on, or not..We call it free will. The MODS will govern content. I do believe that in a few moments to hours, after they follow the thread, they will either act or not.

so your evidence now, is “you believe “ that’s what happened.

Reactions: Wondercarrot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad